More BenFred on Dru

Discussions of all the Aces sports
letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: More BenFred on Dru

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Very hard to have dialog with Ben when he places no value in honesty. Quite hard to find common ground. Very surprised by.this. Sad.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 pm

I think the part about this that annoys me the most is that the people piling on U of E are contending the Aces program is unhappy that Dru Smith went to a P5 school, as if somehow that hurt more than if he'd transferred to the Terre Haute School of Gynecology or some such place.

After the man transferred, he was gone. Doesn't matter where he went.

What has happened is that Mizzou wanted Evansville to lie and U of E didn't lie.

To me, this is not about Dru Smith or the pillaging of mid major programs.

It's about lying, and enabling the lie and asking others to enable it, and having people support the principle that lying is good because, well ... "the climate is changing" that says lying is good. We should all stop for a second and take stock of what actually does bother us about all this.

The people who are saying Evansville is being petty or that the fans are irate over their players being raided ... seriously, if Dru Smith was going to transfer, he was going to. Walt McCarty would doubtless have wanted his talent.

Instead, what Mizzou did was ask Evansville to make it seem like Walt McCarty was simply too evil for Dru to abide. They were being asked to lie about McCarty and about the whole process. And they found a welcome doormat to sell that story to an ignorant fan base.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 pm

211N-69 wrote:I think the part about this that annoys me the most is that the people piling on U of E are contending the Aces program is unhappy that Dru Smith went to a P5 school, as if somehow that hurt more than if he'd transferred to the Terre Haute School of Gynecology or some such place.

After the man transferred, he was gone. Doesn't matter where he went.

What has happened is that Mizzou wanted Evansville to lie and U of E didn't lie.

To me, this is not about Dru Smith or the pillaging of mid major programs.

It's about lying, and enabling the lie and asking others to enable it, and having people support the principle that lying is good because, well ... "the climate is changing" that says lying is good. We should all stop for a second and take stock of what actually does bother us about all this.

The people who are saying Evansville is being petty or that the fans are irate over their players being raided ... seriously, if Dru Smith was going to transfer, he was going to. Walt McCarty would doubtless have wanted his talent.

Instead, what Mizzou did was ask Evansville to make it seem like Walt McCarty was simply too evil for Dru to abide. They were being asked to lie about McCarty and about the whole process. And they found a welcome doormat to sell that story to an ignorant fan base.

Very well said. I agree. I am not going to bash Dru, yes, I wished he had stayed...but if we had to lose Dru to get all of the changes that have happened since March, then I think every one of us would take that trade in a heartbeat. The entire focus and culture change, the caliber of the coaching staff, involvement in the community and response, the level of recruits we are getting. The money being spent. There are things we are doing and getting that no school in the MVC is doing.

This year may be tough, and if it all pays off down the road is yet to be seen, but damn, I haven't seen this much optimism around the program in decades, if ever. For BenFred and the Mizzou miscreants to label us as bitter old coots, pining away for a lost transfer is just simply idiotic.

Last year we were the bitter old fools.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Mizzou fans sound like most Democrats. They want to live in a utopian bubble instead of a world with rules.
That whole campus has collectively lost all credibility with the real world.
Ask anyone who is in charge of anything substantial.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:20 am

Completely agree with 211N. It is truly anoying how a large contingent of UM supporters not only don' understand that DRU was not forced out, but Evansville is akin to the NCAA. It is just idiotic.
Its not about sour grapes, when Dru can play next, or how the NCAA exploits athletes....Evansville cannot sign off on something that is not true. Failure to grasp that is just beyond me.

indymoon
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby indymoon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am

letsgoAces wrote:Completely agree with 211N. It is truly anoying how a large contingent of UM supporters not only don' understand that DRU was not forced out, but Evansville is akin to the NCAA. It is just idiotic.
Its not about sour grapes, when Dru can play next, or how the NCAA exploits athletes....Evansville cannot sign off on something that is not true. Failure to grasp that is just beyond me.

BenFred doesn't get it. In the last paragraph he wants UE to acknowledge that college sports is "shifting", but that doesn't change the NCAA rules.

He needs to acknowledge that his beef is with the NCAA and leave Evansville out of it.

I can't help but wonder if BenFred even writes this column if the player had transferred from a higher profile program. What if Dru previously played at SLU or UK or Duke? My guess is BenFred treads lightly - perhaps even getting all the facts straight (what a concept!) - or more likely declines to write this.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am

Aces44 wrote:Mizzou fans sound like most Democrats. They want to live in a utopian bubble instead of a world with rules.

With due respect to your political beliefs, I am a left-leaning U.S. citizen who tends to support Democrats in most elections, relative to what's at stake, excluding City Council or the county sheriff. Most of my associates, present and past, tend to agree with me, at least we are birds of a feather on most matters social and political. We rarely discuss this in detail since it rarely is relevant.

Not many of us would agree that the Mizzou basketball team''s position on this mirrors our political beliefs, as diverse as they are.

So my polite response to this is that you are equating the UM basketball coaching staff and some anonymous Twitter bozos to the national Democratic Party because you don't like Democrats and can see a comparison. I'd hope you see fit to re-think that.

As an aside, two of Indiana's most admired elected officials -- ever -- were Vance Hartke and Lee Hamilton, who proudly come from the great city of Evansville. Hamilton was the Trester winner in 1948.

Otherwise, I can't find much here that relates to that topic.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:08 am

The whole Mizzou campus is a left leaning cess pool that is eating itself alive, Basketball team aside.

My post was accurate, and I stand by it.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am

211N-69 wrote:
Aces44 wrote:Mizzou fans sound like most Democrats. They want to live in a utopian bubble instead of a world with rules.

With due respect to your political beliefs, I am a left-leaning U.S. citizen who tends to support Democrats in most elections, relative to what's at stake, excluding City Council or the county sheriff. Most of my associates, present and past, tend to agree with me, at least we are birds of a feather on most matters social and political. We rarely discuss this in detail since it rarely is relevant.

Not many of us would agree that the Mizzou basketball team''s position on this mirrors our political beliefs, as diverse as they are.

So my polite response to this is that you are equating the UM basketball coaching staff and some anonymous Twitter bozos to the national Democratic Party because you don't like Democrats and can see a comparison. I'd hope you see fit to re-think that.

As an aside, two of Indiana's most admired elected officials -- ever -- were Vance Hartke and Lee Hamilton, who proudly come from the great city of Evansville. Hamilton was the Trester winner in 1948.

Otherwise, I can't find much here that relates to that topic.

+1. If I were a Republican, I wouldn't be bringing up the subject of lying. Now let's get ready to rumble against Craig Snow, and his big bad Cowboys from the South West.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm

indymoon wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:Completely agree with 211N. It is truly anoying how a large contingent of UM supporters not only don' understand that DRU was not forced out, but Evansville is akin to the NCAA. It is just idiotic.

BenFred doesn't get it. In the last paragraph he wants UE to acknowledge that college sports is "shifting", but that doesn't change the NCAA rules.

He needs to acknowledge that his beef is with the NCAA and leave Evansville out of it.

I can't help but wonder if BenFred even writes this column if the player had transferred from a higher profile program. What if Dru previously played at SLU or UK or Duke? My guess is BenFred treads lightly - perhaps even getting all the facts straight (what a concept!) - or more likely declines to write this.

Oh. I do think Ben F gets it..he gets it plenty. Hence., you notice he side steps the major issue and instead puts on a dog and pony show. When you know you cannot make a case you just shange the subject.

Return to “The Aces”