Game Thread - New Mexico Highlands @ UE

Discussions of all the Aces sports
UEFan2918
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Game Thread - New Mexico Highlands @ UE

Postby UEFan2918 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:11 am

Stupid question not necessarily game related:
What was with the dimming of the lights?
As great as DC was, it was nice to see a seemingly “new” KJ Riley!
"Size doesn't make any difference. Heart is what makes a difference." ~ Jerry Sloan

51ACE
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1978

Postby 51ACE » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:02 am

I believe it was part of an advertisement for Vectron. If I remember correctly, there was an individual on the jumbo tron searching on his phone at ways to save electricity, so the dimming of the lights was an example of how electricity can be saved. At least that is the way I perceived it.

PurpleRain
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 2010

Postby PurpleRain » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 am

I’m no good at doing quotes.

The Aces were wearing new uniforms. Pat Hickey tweeted a photo of KJ modeling a couple of days ago.

Dalen Traore and his fiancée were also courtside for most of the game.

Agree the new intro is good! And it’s not rap or hip hop so us older folks can relate.

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm

GREAT game for my wife and I! We live about 2 hours away in Cadiz, KY and just purchased tickets for this game last week. We can't make all the games through the season, but will attend as many as we can. Long story short, a UE Athletics guy (Brandon) came up to our seats just prior to the game starting, said we were chosen randomly for a seat upgrade, so we had the privilege of sitting court side for the game!! My Ky. wife is a BBN fan, so she loved the new "Kentucky-like" offense she was seeing (as opposed to past years). I was impressed (and encouraged) by what I saw, especially how intense the defense was for the Aces! We missed way too many front ends on foul shots. The only MAJOR worry we had was seeing Noah, and especially DC headed our way for a loose ball going out of bounds!! :o

For those asking about former players: my wife and I sat next to Jeremy Stanton's wife and family (she is so cordial and friendly!). Marcus Wilson had his photo taken with Jeremy just prior to the 2nd half. Curt Begle is a regular along this section. We also saw Dalen Traore and his fiancee, and big Sergei Vucetic.

It was a very memorable experience, especially being Walter's first game as our new UE Coach!!

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Glad to hear of some of Coach Simmons' players were on hand.

I'm sorta "old school" myself.
Was never really able to adapt to that there Hippity Hop stuff myself.

Watched some different highlight packages, this AM.
Angles were different and was able to see the student end.
Looked good, down there.
Well done Purple Reign!

Don't follow any social media. So, I wasn't aware of the subtle uniform changes.
They looked the same to me.
Thx for the clarification.
My bad.

go aces
I'm on Board!

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:14 pm

6th man wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:One other thing I’ll add, the intro video was a million times better this year than about any that I remember. They played music with some character that didn’t sound like trash and the editing was very well done.

The song they played was “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins

Best intro in the past 3 years,IMHO

I definitely liked the music and I think the video will grow on me as the season progresses. Right now it doesn't give me that excitement to "get on my feet" for lineup intro.

I've always been partial to the very first one. It addressed the history and stirred the emotions.

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:42 pm

I noticed the Butler weave at the top of the key.

Also noticed a couple replays on the big screen.
Never understood why we were prohibited from seeing them.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 am

Wasn't able to attend the game.But what was everyone's opinion on Newton and Shamaar. I'm not for sure how many minutes they played but they are listed toward the bottom of the gopurpleaces stat sheet. Do they look like they will be just as good if not better then some of our previous guards we have had in the past or not

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:27 am

I was impressed with Shamaar the most, I think he has a point guards game. He knows how to see the floor when penetrating to the basket which is a huge thing for this offense (finding cutters and open shooters). He's a big key for this year in my opinion.

Newton missed a couple wide open shots but had a nice drive to the basket and I think he got to the line and made 1 of 2. He played some pretty good defense a couple times in the 2nd half. Has kind of a funky looking shot, to me he seems a little more raw than Shamaar, but it hard to say given that's all I've seen out of him. I think he could be a big key guy off the bench if he can get his shot going because his perimeter defense looks to be pretty strong.

Just my observations...I'd like to hear others thoughts as well
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:32 am

Tom Servo wrote:I was impressed with Shamaar the most, I think he has a point guards game. He knows how to see the floor when penetrating to the basket which is a huge thing for this offense (finding cutters and open shooters). He's a big key for this year in my opinion.

Newton missed a couple wide open shots but had a nice drive to the basket and I think he got to the line and made 1 of 2. He played some pretty good defense a couple times in the 2nd half. Has kind of a funky looking shot, to me he seems a little more raw than Shamaar, but it hard to say given that's all I've seen out of him. I think he could be a big key guy off the bench if he can get his shot going because his perimeter defense looks to be pretty strong.

Just my observations...I'd like to hear others thoughts as well

I was very impressed with Shamaar's ball handling and speed. Both he and Newton went to the hoop to try and rebound.

Return to “The Aces”