Scouting Texas Southern

Discussions of all the Aces sports
83Ace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1968

Scouting Texas Southern

Postby 83Ace » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 pm

I am watching the Texas Southern-Iowa State game and thought I would pass on some info and observations. They have won the SWAC and gone to NCAA tournament 4 of the last 5 years. They can play and don’t fit the usual SWAC profile. Lots of transfers - they start 2 grad transfers from LSU, a 7-2 transfer from Auburn and another transfer from Colorado State. Lots of experience.

They opened the season by winning at Baylor 72-69, then were blown out at Gonzaga. ISU is up 18 points late in the game although Texas Southern kept it close for a while. Point guard Jalyn Patterson is quick with a lot of range, good player. Their 7-2 guy, Reed, has skill but is pretty skinny and seems to play smaller than he is. It will be good to have Dainius back. Jeremy Combs is having a good game - 6’7” and he is a grown man. They play San Diego State before traveling to Evansville, all road games. They will be a good opponent and we can’t take them lightly. (We can’t take anybody lightly). (ISU just won by 13).

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Re: Scouting Texas Southern

Postby COUTEAU » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am

TSU, during the Davis Era, always played a brutal pre-con schedule.
They rarely played at home, prior to their SWAC games.
Coach Davis, moved on to Detroit. Be interesting to see if they continue their NCAA appearances or their barn storming traveling road show schedule.
Should be an entertaining match-up.

go aces
I'm on Board!

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 am

We will have many games where we'll have to play well to win. Tx So. will be a really good test. Casual fans, who buy tickets just for this game, will not be disappointed with the competition. Should be an exciting match-up.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 pm

This will be a very good test for us. This is a quality Texas Southern team that beat Baylor and has played some really tough competition. They also have a quality 7'2" center which could give us issues. Luckily we have Danius back for this game. On paper we might be about a point underdog; but there is no line yet and this early in the season it is really tough to tell on these types of things. However, with DC back I'm hoping that puts us over the top. We need to come out hard as again this will be a good measuring stick for where we are.

The next game after this is next Saturday on the road at Ball State and I expect us to be a double digit underdog there as this seems like a solid Ball State team who also has played some tough teams.

Go Aces!!!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 am

So with DC coming back.Does DC start,if so who loses there starting position.
I predicting that Shamar will take over Marty's starting position come conference time.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:57 am

muni cup14 wrote:So with DC coming back.Does DC start,if so who loses there starting position.
I predicting that Shamar will take over Marty's starting position come conference time.

Hopefully the starting five will be

Givance
Riley
Feehan
Hall
DC

Noah, Hill, Kuhlman, and Newton all coming off the bench.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:06 am

I think it will be the same starting lineup that we've seen. Just a hunch. Kuhlman isn't Walter's perfect 5, but he stretches the defense like he wants a 5 to, even if he gives up some ground on our own defensive end.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:27 am

Purp wrote:I think it will be the same starting lineup that we've seen. Just a hunch. Kuhlman isn't Walter's perfect 5, but he stretches the defense like he wants a 5 to, even if he gives up some ground on our own defensive end.

I like Ad1770's starting line up very much, but I can see starting Kuhlman, and him playing until we get 5-6 points behind, or that he is really being dominated inside. The longer we can keep Dainius with no fouls, the better it will be if we are not getting blown out. Eventually, I think Dainius will be the starter.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Dainius will be needed against Txas Southern's 7-2 center. Whether he starts today depends on a lot of factors that we don't know yet (as fans) - DC's attitude, how he has been practicing, any lingering injuries in the center rotation, etc. Eventually he should be starting.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:43 pm

I thought Dainius had his best games last year against opposing centers, that would have been considered 'superior.'
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Return to “The Aces”