Game Thread - Texas Southern at Evansville 11/18 noon

Discussions of all the Aces sports
SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Re: Game Thread - Texas Southern at Evansville 11/18 noon

Postby SI_Acesfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 am

Tom Servo wrote:I am with Goacesgo...I am really shocked/floored whatever you want to call it, by the growth in this group in just 4 games. Really good game today...didn't shoot as well but still put points up. Defense was much, much better today as well. Much more tenacity.

In addition to what IBleedPurple said above which is really spot on, I saw a really smart coaching move made 2 minutes into the 2nd half. McCarty noticed the starting unit in the 2nd half was flat and not getting it done. He immediately went to the bench and they delivered. Givance continues to impress. Also, Noah is playing really well too - He's a smart player who really is a key guy for the future of this team. Very smooth. Lastly, Mr. Feehan...he is really coming along well considering this is only his 4th (3rd actually) D1 game. Really strong game today. The shooting has been great, but today he showed he has some pretty good defense and passing instincts. Really a fun player to watch. Also, as far as Kuhlman and Hall go, I really want to see more attacking the basket from them like we saw in the 2nd half. Givance hit Evan for three really nice plays in transition. And Hall had some great drives and finishes.

Very encouraging performance for sure.

We noticed the early 2nd half quick hook too. Our mini rally right after that was a big reason why this wasn't a close game. Another thing that I really liked was stealing a couple minutes with Jared Chestnut while the game was still within reach. No momentum loss and a quick, but important breather for somebody on our depleted roster. Working the game as it unfolds in front of you. Whether that's WM on his own, going with a Licklighter/Graves call, or somewhere in between, it sure seems like WM is learning how to manage a game.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:31 pm

SI_Acesfan wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:I am with Goacesgo...I am really shocked/floored whatever you want to call it, by the growth in this group in just 4 games. Really good game today...didn't shoot as well but still put points up. Defense was much, much better today as well. Much more tenacity.

In addition to what IBleedPurple said above which is really spot on, I saw a really smart coaching move made 2 minutes into the 2nd half. McCarty noticed the starting unit in the 2nd half was flat and not getting it done. He immediately went to the bench and they delivered. Givance continues to impress. Also, Noah is playing really well too - He's a smart player who really is a key guy for the future of this team. Very smooth. Lastly, Mr. Feehan...he is really coming along well considering this is only his 4th (3rd actually) D1 game. Really strong game today. The shooting has been great, but today he showed he has some pretty good defense and passing instincts. Really a fun player to watch. Also, as far as Kuhlman and Hall go, I really want to see more attacking the basket from them like we saw in the 2nd half. Givance hit Evan for three really nice plays in transition. And Hall had some great drives and finishes.

We noticed the early 2nd half quick hook too. Our mini rally right after that was a big reason why this wasn't a close game. Another thing that I really liked was stealing a couple minutes with Jared Chestnut while the game was still within reach. No momentum loss and a quick, but important breather for somebody on our depleted roster. Working the game as it unfolds in front of you. Whether that's WM on his own, going with a Licklighter/Graves call, or somewhere in between, it sure seems like WM is learning how to manage a game.

Jared also entered the game after the last TV timeout of the first half so he saw action twice. I doubt that Coach gives out playing time for nothing. My observation is that Jared plays adequate defense, plays under control and has earned the minutes he gets. We may need him down the stretch to play even more. I really like this coaching staff.

Of note, if you look at the stats per 100 possessions and per 40 minutes, the two leading rebounders, believe it or not, are Givens and Newton and to less surprise, the leading scorer is Noah.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:39 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
SI_Acesfan wrote:

Jared also entered the game after the last TV timeout of the first half so he saw action twice. I doubt that Coach gives out playing time for nothing. My observation is that Jared plays adequate defense, plays under control and has earned the minutes he gets. We may need him down the stretch to play even more. I really like this coaching staff.

Of note, if you look at the stats per 100 possessions and per 40 minutes, the two leading rebounders, believe it or not, are Givens and Newton and to less surprise, the leading scorer is Noah.

Walter has said from the start that the guards are going to have to get rebounds, and it looks like that is what they are doing. Shea gets his share also.

Return to “The Aces”