daBEARS

Discussions of all the Aces sports
stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Re: daBEARS

Postby stl scooter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49 am

I'm going to kick myself for putting this out there, but I believe fatigue has set in. The three point shots were not really close to going in, the free throws bouncing off the front of the rim, and the lack of hustle for loose balls and rebounds (-10).

I think they all are hitting a wall right now. Typical freshman wall, the sophomores (sans Egidijus) and Jaylon Moore didn't log nearly this many minutes last year.

Surprisingly, the only one (starters and top subs) that doesn't look that way was Egidijus. But if you remember, Egidijus was playing last year in the Euro games before coming to UE. It is possible that he is the only Aces used to playing the high number of minutes for the long season.

Just my amateur observation...

Go Aces!!!
#ForTheAces #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Ace Dad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 am

stl scooter wrote:I'm going to kick myself for putting this out there, but I believe fatigue has set in. The three point shots were not really close to going in, the free throws bouncing off the front of the rim, and the lack of hustle for loose balls and rebounds (-10).

I think they all are hitting a wall right now. Typical freshman wall, the sophomores (sans Egidijus) and Jaylon Moore didn't log nearly this many minutes last year.

Surprisingly, the only one (starters and top subs) that doesn't look that way was Egidijus. But if you remember, Egidijus was playing last year in the Euro games before coming to UE. It is possible that he is the only Aces used to playing the high number of minutes for the long season.

Just my amateur observation...

Go Aces!!!

You are correct.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:14 am

Ace14 wrote:I don't think Ptacek is physically or mentally ready to play at this level yet. Probably should have red-shirted in my opinion.

I don't strongly disagree, but at the same time I wouldn't strongly disagree if you made the same statement about Gibson or Brown or Benzon. All those guys are better defenders than Ptacek. But if you play good defense (or, at least, play "your best defense") and still have an average margin of loss of 16 points, something else is the matter.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:14 pm

At this point, developing our guys for the tournament and next year takes priority over the remaining games on our schedule. Don't get me wrong...I'd love to win every one of them. However, I think we need to get guys like Ptacek, Benzon, and Howard seasoned as much as we can.

I remember thinking Clint Cuffle would never be strong enough to play D1. Then he was forced into action as a freshman and became a very good player for us the rest of his career.

My two cents.

Forever Purple
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Forever Purple » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Fatigue may very well have been a factor in last night's disappointing performance. If we knock down a couple of shots early and experience a surge of confidence, then we give MSU all they can handle. During our run late in the first half, we played very aggressively on the defensive end. We need to see a whole lot more of that, but it's tough to do with tired legs.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

The inconsistency in our play....we actually had what I feel was our best 10 minutes of basketball at WSU, and then we come home and act as dreary as the weather....no energy, no hustle, no indication that we even cared about competing, right here on our home court. ..
is what really bothers me. I have said before that this team plays better away from home. Is it because they are so lacking in confidence in their own abilities that they are afraid to screw up before the home crowd?

I can't help but believe that our problems are mainly mental. Downward spirals are hard to stop. It seems like we get caught up in one....either during a game, causing us to lose a lead....or, during the season, causing us to lose games that we should have won. Why? I think we do not believe in our system of play...we are attempting to conform, individual efforts varying as to how hard each player works at it, but we just don't seem to believe in our own abilities do what our role asks of us....

And that, is not a good thing.....indecisiveness, lack of hustle and fight, shooting that is flat, spectator rebounding, ..... all of what makes for ugly basketball and ends up in lousy play that loses games...and that sends us further spiraling downward.

So, I am looking for someone....or better, for every player and coach to step up, fight back, and with all their work and effort, stop the downward spiral and turn this thing around....
to me, that would be the sign of a great player, great coach, and a great program.

Reading Balentine's comment in the C&P about the game made me feel really bad. I imagine that his comment could be echoed by almost any guy on the team.

Aces, get together and strengthen your resolve to play hard.....work through shooting woes in practice...then go out in every remaining game and give it all you have, win or lose. There are enough of us fans out here who, though we are frustrated, too, will back you and cheer you on.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader

Postby stl scooter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 pm

I was sitting in the stands last night, in an aisle seat. The womens team came up the steps. Frosh Dakota Weatherford was leading them. They practiced yesterday and she has played a lot of minutes this year, but she could barely make up the +/- 40 steps. It didn't look like an injury, she was holding the front of her thigh. Fatigue I am assuming.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Anyone notice how the academic athletes who were honored at halftime quickly gathered their coats and left the section where they had been sitting during the first half....I might add, where they had been QUIETLY sitting!! Quite an impressive group, and I stood to applaud their achievement...but sad that even these athletes don't support the team with any sort of noise or emotion. Where else in the country do you see such non-involvement in the student body!

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader

Postby stl scooter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Sect. 3 agreed! One of the professors that was honored (by the players) before the game sat behind me. I heard him tell his wife, early in the first half, 'We're not going to stay long.' And they didn't stay long either.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:48 pm

My lineup would be
Giddy
Simmons
Gibson
Moore
DJ

Rotate out Simmons and put in Benzon, rotate Brown in for Gibson, Put in Howard for Moore with Giddy or for Giddy with Moore still in the game. With Ptacek..if he is a great shooter, why do we not run the double screen and get the guy open for a baseline jumper like we used to do when we had those good spot up shooters? If not for Ptacek, why not for Wing? Ptacek should have been red shirted or maybe he will realize after playing this year he is no D1 caliber player. Also, some other posters mentioned and I agree..try some pressure D..with guys like Benzon, Brown, Gibson, Moore I think we could out quick many of the teams and see if we can push more of an up tempo style game...I thought we played more up tempo those first five games and then it's like the light switch went off..or should I say it went off.

Return to “The Aces”