Re: daBEARS

Postby sect.3purple » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:22 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:My lineup would be
Giddy
Simmons
Gibson
Moore
DJ

Rotate out Simmons and put in Benzon, rotate Brown in for Gibson, Put in Howard for Moore with Giddy or for Giddy with Moore still in the game. With Ptacek..if he is a great shooter, why do we not run the double screen and get the guy open for a baseline jumper like we used to do when we had those good spot up shooters? If not for Ptacek, why not for Wing? Ptacek should have been red shirted or maybe he will realize after playing this year he is no D1 caliber player. Also, some other posters mentioned and I agree..try some pressure D..with guys like Benzon, Brown, Gibson, Moore I think we could out quick many of the teams and see if we can push more of an up tempo style game...I thought we played more up tempo those first five games and then it's like the light switch went off..or should I say it went off.

I remember reading, or hearing, Marty say in the preseason that the Aces fans had not seen the type of speed in our play as we would see this season with our recruits...it did seem like we played that way early in the season, but now we usually fall back into our old, structured, way of coming down court, forming our semi circle, and then playing pitch and catch....easy to defend and so much the same each time that we are easy to read. Then, one of the guards may make a drive into the forest and usually get the shot blocked or travel or lose the ball. And yet, there will usually be a once-in-a-game instance where Boo or Brown will make a drive all the way down the floor to the basket and score.....but that usually happens only once or twice a game. I always watch and wonder why we don't do that much more often.....sprint down the floor and see what we can do before the defense gets set up????

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:59 am

I wonder the same thing. Boo had one Wednesday night--I can't remember if he rebounded the ball or got it from an outlet pass, but he had a layup in 3 or 4 seconds. I can't wait to see that more often.

I think it has more to do with Boo and Brown recognizing when they can do it.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 pm

On the student athletes leaving early...I can't say I blame them too much..most have better things to do that watch a group of guys getting their butts kicked and not hustling and playing hard. The support is sad for sure, from fans, from students.

Do we all think they would have left had we been in first place in the league, up ten points and had a record of 20-4?

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:53 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:On the student athletes leaving early...I can't say I blame them too much..most have better things to do that watch a group of guys getting their butts kicked and not hustling and playing hard. The support is sad for sure, from fans, from students.

Do we all think they would have left had we been in first place in the league, up ten points and had a record of 20-4?

Yes. They still would have left as they did last year, the year before and the year before that.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:58 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:On the student athletes leaving early...I can't say I blame them too much..most have better things to do that watch a group of guys getting their butts kicked and not hustling and playing hard. The support is sad for sure, from fans, from students.

No, I don't think they would have. Everybody loves a winner. If they do, and I include the general public, under those conditions, then UE, and D1 basketball, are headed toward disaster.

UE11
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2002

Postby UE11 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:57 pm

6th man wrote:

Yes. They still would have left as they did last year, the year before and the year before that.

I don't remember us being 20-4 last year.

6th man
Head Cheerleader

Postby 6th man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:37 pm

UE11 wrote:
6th man wrote:

I don't remember us being 20-4 last year.

Not Funny but I can't remember ever being 20-4 thru the last 10 years of the last century or this one. UE had it's jockstrap knock off when Vinson cut the football program out and castrated the rest of the athletic department. Now it consist of liberal arts students who have a tough time knowing the difference between a baseball, basketball,tennis or golf balls.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Aces44
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:46 pm

What 6th Man said is all true, but the plus side is that having all of those hippie chicks on campus means the dudes get laid in bunches.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

I just used 20-4 as an example trying to say if we were a lot better, would the kids have stayed or left? It appears there are posters who feel both ways on this.

As a former student who used to wait in line with all the fraternity id cards early in the morning to get the best seats for games at Robert's Stadium things have sure changed in the last twenty to thirty years....and not in a good way.

6th man
Head Cheerleader

Postby 6th man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:13 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I just used 20-4 as an example trying to say if we were a lot better, would the kids have stayed or left? It appears there are posters who feel both ways on this.

As a former student who used to wait in line with all the fraternity id cards early in the morning to get the best seats for games at Robert's Stadium things have sure changed in the last twenty to thirty years....and not in a good way.

Last year was the best year since Crews and they left after half time and the feedback on the purplecode was the same astonishment that the students didn't stay. The Aces are going to have to get a good 3-5 year run of good to great basketball before they'll stay,if then. Perhaps the parents of the honor kids will stay til the end of the game if they get a run going.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Return to “The Aces”