Attendance

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ChiTownAce
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Attendance

Postby ChiTownAce » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:00 pm

In addition to the on court improvements and recruiting impact, I believe one key item to look at is attendance.

2017-2018 average home attendance: 3782
2016-17 average home attendance: 4116

this year:
KWC: 4497
today: 4578

Obviously, it is early and a small sample size, but I like the early returns and direction.

I think it is Tim Servo (correct me if I am wrong) who has indicated a 6,000 benchmark in the past for an attendance target. I think if we can get there in 2 years that would be a great sign for the program and a boost to the athletic department.

I think we will get there. I am optimistic by the things happening on the court, and certainly know and understand our best players will be suiting up next season.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Attendance

Postby rpyke » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Figured I'd say I'm in my younger 20s and I watched the Xavier game with a friend same age as me. The past few years he's refused to go to the games because of our style of play. But during the X game he said, Wow you guys really are playing some ball. He even was cheering for us as we were raining threes and KJ converted some and one's. I then told him about our transfers and DeAndre. I'm doing what I can to sprinkle more guys my age in the crowd.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Attendance has been much better...it's going to take baby steps though to get this going in the right direction. All the horrific performances and failures of the last 20 years aren't just going to magically be erased. I agree ChiTown...I think the best we can probably hope for is close to 6,000 consistently in the future. I think the potential is there for it.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the crowd today...a little more into the game and much bigger than I expected given the Colts were playing and the extremely early start.

The team is definitely fun to watch
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces12
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces12 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:35 pm

So when will one of our sponsors step up and say this time out is brought to you by so and so and let the band play or the cheerleaders fire up the crowd. I’m so tired of commercials. I miss hearing the band and miss the A C E S cheer where the cheerleaders spell it out. Sorry I know a bit off of topic but feel fam involvement will increase attendance. I personally could care less to see if someone can find a furnace or find an Ace Purple who doesn’t do anything or interact with anyone.

K sorry had to get off my chest

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Attendance has been much better...it's going to take baby steps though to get this going in the right direction. All the horrific performances and failures of the last 20 years aren't just going to magically be erased. I agree ChiTown...I think the best we can probably hope for is close to 6,000 consistently in the future. I think the potential is there for it.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the crowd today...a little more into the game and much bigger than I expected given the Colts were playing and the extremely early start.

The team is definitely fun to watch

+1000

I would like to add that given the change in the style of play, playing better competition whether it be at home or on the road and the fact we are going to get better and better players I think a lot of fans may have a short memory when they start hearing everyone talk about The Aces. There is not a lot to do in Evansville in the winter other than watch NFL, NCAA and high school basketball. Fans are starved when it comes to seeing good D1 basketball just as Tom mentioned it's been 20 years. I think these first two games (one Sunday at noon, one on a cold weeknight vs a DII opponent) bodes well the attendance this year that we averaged over 4,500 for these two games when going into them 0-2. I can see us averaging over 5,000 this year which would be a 24% increase over last year.

youngacesfan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Aces12 wrote:So when will one of our sponsors step up and say this time out is brought to you by so and so and let the band play or the cheerleaders fire up the crowd. I’m so tired of commercials. I miss hearing the band and miss the A C E S cheer where the cheerleaders spell it out. Sorry I know a bit off of topic but feel fam involvement will increase attendance. I personally could care less to see if someone can find a furnace or find an Ace Purple who doesn’t do anything or interact with anyone.

K sorry had to get off my chest

The amount of commercials is ridiculous and hurts the atmosphere

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:26 pm

There are various eras of Evansville basketball. Those of a certain age can wax poetically about the smoke hovering over the floor at Roberts Stadium as Arad McCutchan led the Aces vs familiar foes like KWC, SIU, etc and won national championships. Those positive memories keep that generation of fans returning, possibly to remember those glory days as well as to see their Aces of today.

Kids of my generation (I'm 35 years old) can barely recall the names like Simmons, Haffner, Crafton, etc while growing up wanting to be the next Elkins, Jackson, etc and thanks to the miracle of technology with YouTube those gaps can be filled in over the course of a few hours, reinforcing the childhood memories of big time college basketball at a packed Roberts Stadium against the hated Musketeers and other MCC foes.

Where I'm going with this is that most anyone under 30 who grew up in the greater Evansville area doesn't remember the Aces as winners, a threat to go to the NCAA Tournament, playing in a great environment night in and night out. Although not everyone stays around Southern Indiana after they grow up and enter the workforce, there's a missing generation of success and it can show up on gameday in terms of bodies in seats.

As much as trends have changed, see ESPN+/ESPN3, various smartphone apps that can stream just about anything, anywhere the biggest boost to attendance is success and a history of that success. The more open, up tempo style of play caters to the casual fan. Four games in is a very small sample size but I'm quite impressed with what this group of Aces and the coaching staff has done to this point.

Sadly the bombardment of advertisements is becoming the norm. If I'm not with someone at the game, I'm browsing on my phone, typically twitter or on a Sunday afternoon, checking my fantasy football squads. We all have our own ideas about what makes a good environment and what detracts from it. There is certainly a fine line and often a trade off to sponsorships and fulfilling the various requirements that go along with it. One of my biggest takeaways with the various changes (more ads, game times, lights out, etc) is that the athletic department is trying any number of things and regardless of the hit/miss percentages, the not being happy with the status quo as more and more seats went empty each season is a positive. Personally if I have to listen to a few more ads I'm ok with that......but I also understand the other side too.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks for a well written, excellent post Purple and Orange.
I have a son your age who grew up going to a lot of the same games you probably went to, but his younger brothers don't remember any championships. You nailed it when you said that the under 30 generation hasn't experienced the Aces as big winners.
I'm from the smoke filled Roberts Stadium era. The smoke was real, but doesn't bring back good memories.
But the basketball played under and/ or in it does.
As for commercials at arenas, sadly they're a part of the experience now. Most stadiums now have those during timeouts, between innings, etc. Most don't like it, but guess it pays the bills.
At key timeouts tho, the school song needs to be played, and the "Aces, Aces" chant should take preference.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:45 pm

AcesChamps6571 wrote:Thanks for a well written, excellent post Purple and Orange.
I have a son your age who grew up going to a lot of the same games you probably went to, but his younger brothers don't remember any championships. You nailed it when you said that the under 30 generation hasn't experienced the Aces as big winners.
I'm from the smoke filled Roberts Stadium era. The smoke was real, but doesn't bring back good memories.
As for commercials at arenas, sadly they're a part of the experience now. Most stadiums now have those during timeouts, between innings, etc. Most don't like it, but guess it pays the bills.
At key timeouts tho, the school song needs to be played, and the "Aces, Aces" chant should take preference.

Kids 25 and under have zero memories because nothing in terms of tournaments beginning with N ever happened after they turned 5. Those that are 30 MAY if they went to games with their parents as ten year old's may remember us winning the MVC regular season championship and playing Kansas in the NCAA Tournament. That was under Crews, the last of any league championships and last of any post season tournament bid to the NCAA or even the NIT. So, its been a long road.

All we can hope for is all those fans that stopped coming to games saved up all that money they used to spend and start coming back to games as we enter a new era of Aces Basketball. They for sure will need it if they plan to eat or drink anything during the games given the $10 or so for a drink and popcorn or over $11 for a sandwich/fries. Boy have times changed since the days of Roberts and the .50 cent hot dogs and $1.00 burgers. However, at least we can see some good basketball coming our way and we can actually be able to see it without peering through the fog from all that smoke from the 60s and 70s.

youngacesfan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:10 pm

AcesChamps6571 wrote:Thanks for a well written, excellent post Purple and Orange.

I'm ok with commercials during time outs but it goes too far when they do commercials during warm-ups and in between free throws. I can tell you assembly Hall and rupp arena have no commercials at all

Return to “The Aces”