Attendance

Discussions of all the Aces sports
riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Re: Attendance

Postby riverboat_gambler » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm

The attendance uptick isn’t just paper improvement either. You can visibly tell attendance is up.

The generation hole is visible too. It’ll take a few years to patch that up.

Media timeouts are draining but never going away. Athletic Dept doing decent job keeping the crowd entertained. Things like Family Feud and Find the Mascot engage the whole crowd.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:05 am

youngacesfan wrote:
Aces12 wrote:So when will one of our sponsors step up and say this time out is brought to you by so and so and let the band play or the cheerleaders fire up the crowd. I’m so tired of commercials. I miss hearing the band and miss the A C E S cheer where the cheerleaders spell it out. Sorry I know a bit off of topic but feel fam involvement will increase attendance. I personally could care less to see if someone can find a furnace or find an Ace Purple who doesn’t do anything or interact with anyone.

K sorry had to get off my chest

The amount of commercials is ridiculous and hurts the atmosphere

I'm sure Walter and his 2 assistants didn't come cheap.We have to pay for them somehow

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 am

Truthfully, outside the select few, the attendance at college sporting events has been in steady decline for quite awhile. It isn't likely they will get the fans back. A couple of reasons for that, the main one being there is just too many other things people would rather do with their time.

I was a U of E student in the late 60s when smoking at the Stadium was common. We went to the games because that's what everyone did. The student section was full and we only had four cheerleaders, not 26 pom pounders who grin and do a pyramid twice a game.

In other words, cheerleaders don't do anything. They stand on the baseline because there are too damned many of them. They squeal a lot and keep time to some song in their heads. They go 'wooooooo' when the camera is on them. Fans don't engage the atmosphere now. The cheers are pointless. Go team go! is like from a Yale-Harvard game from 1938. Freddy Mercury We Will Rock You is from the damned 70s. And please, Thunderstruck is almost as old. Old people don't like hip-hop. I have my own opinions about why the cheerleading squad exists and why it wasn't sent packing along with the cigarette smoke.

I had been of the belief that commercials and TV timeouts were going to be better structured but that obviously was a lie.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

JohnU wrote:Truthfully, outside the select few, the attendance at college sporting events has been in steady decline for quite awhile. It isn't likely they will get the fans back. A couple of reasons for that, the main one being there is just too many other things people would rather do with their time.

I was a U of E student in the late 60s when smoking at the Stadium was common. We went to the games because that's what everyone did. The student section was full and we only had four cheerleaders, not 26 pom pounders who grin and do a pyramid twice a game.

In other words, cheerleaders don't do anything. They stand on the baseline because there are too damned many of them. They squeal a lot and keep time to some song in their heads. They go 'wooooooo' when the camera is on them. Fans don't engage the atmosphere now. The cheers are pointless. Go team go! is like from a Yale-Harvard game from 1938. Freddy Mercury We Will Rock You is from the damned 70s. And please, Thunderstruck is almost as old. Old people don't like hip-hop. I have my own opinions about why the cheerleading squad exists and why it wasn't sent packing along with the cigarette smoke.

I had been of the belief that commercials and TV timeouts were going to be better structured but that obviously was a lie.

I agree that our cheerleaders do very little to engage the crowd....building pyramids just doesn't matter much outside of a cheer competition..we need a few distinct cheers that include the crowd....the "Aces,Aces" cheer, spelling A C E S on the floor, DEFENSE, a roaring THREE after a triple is made. Add a few distinctly Evansville cheers...keep them simple and make them fun for the crowd to join in....How about "Purple Rain" roared down on the court by thousands of fans...fans love to be part of cheers that help their team...the wave around the arena paired with a growing roar as each section stands and ending with a loud ACES,ACES chant signaled by the cheerleaders holding signs. Building a renewed image for our team is being worked on every day by our coaches and team....we fans can do our part to help .....cheerleaders can be a big part of this renewed excitement and should be much more active in engaging the crowd...even if the crowd is slow to take part, the fans will join in if they see the cheerleaders doing more than swinging pom-poms in perfect, planned rhythm.....drives me crazy when I see that...

Aces12
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces12 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:51 am

muni cup14 wrote:
youngacesfan wrote:
Aces12 wrote:So when will one of our sponsors step up and say this time out is brought to you by so and so and let the band play or the cheerleaders fire up the crowd. I’m so tired of commercials. I miss hearing the band and miss the A C E S cheer where the cheerleaders spell it out. Sorry I know a bit off of topic but feel fam involvement will increase attendance. I personally could care less to see if someone can find a furnace or find an Ace Purple who doesn’t do anything or interact with anyone.

K sorry had to get off my chest

The amount of commercials is ridiculous and hurts the atmosphere

I'm sure Walter and his 2 assistants didn't come cheap.We have to pay for them somehow

You pay bills my a simple this time out is brought to you by insert your company name. That would still pay bills and cheerleaders band and ultimately the fans be more into games. Especially down the stretch of close Valley games.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 pm

JohnU wrote:Truthfully, outside the select few, the attendance at college sporting events has been in steady decline for quite awhile. It isn't likely they will get the fans back. A couple of reasons for that, the main one being there is just too many other things people would rather do with their time.

I never knew that anyone had that strong of an opinion about "pom pounders," to wit, about eliminating them. I'll bet you are fun at parties.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:22 pm

It may be a surprise to many who only watch ESPN games and are obliged to watch TV commercials during timeouts but time-out promotions, boring as they may, are common at live basketball games throughout the country. They are part of the revenue stream. If you don't like watching someone find a cardboard furnace, do what I do. I turn to my friend and discuss how the game is going so far, take another sip of beer and if I'm lucky I watch a pretty girl or two or three ascend the steps to the powder room. I always make lemonade when handed a lemon.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
JohnU wrote:Truthfully..........................r do with their time.
as old. O
I never knew that anyone had that strong of an opinion about "pom pounders," to wit, about eliminating them. I'll bet you are fun at parties.

They don't do anything. If you want cheerleaders, have cheerleaders. If you want a group of cloned blondes with ribbons and pasted faces, you have my permission. The group squeal has always helped build a winning attitude.

Just don't tell me they are leading any cheers.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:53 pm

I can’t tell if JohnU is a cantankerous old guy, or a new age feminist.
Either way, I vote to keep the Cheerleaders....

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Considering all we were bitching about the last decade or so, I guess the fact we are down to the cheerleaders and cardboard furnaces is a very good sign.

Like others have said, the promotions are probably a necessary evil...and yes, they are done just about everywhere. IMO, some are decent, such as the Family Feud bit, which gets the fans involved, and highlights a player..and the place did go nuts when the guy nailed the wings shot yesterday. Some are silly, boring and too long, such as the furnace and the plane looking for Ace Purple, but it doesn't kill my enjoyment of the game.

With or without promotions, the best way to get a better atmosphere is with the student section, and having the band there every game. It has been beaten to death, and most in the athletic department fully agree, but the band can energize the crowd, create a college atmosphere, and puts more students into the empty end zone. Sorry, but canned music left over from the Thunderbolts game doesn't cut it.

With that said, things are better. The Purple Reign Club appears to be working with getting more students out to the games. Hopefully that momentum will continue, and more and more will start to come. We put together the Aces High Club as a way to get more adult fan involvement into the games. The administration was agreeable to designating a section for us, but most of the people interested already have season tickets elsewhere that they don't want to give up. I certainly don't blame them for that, and unfortunately, the response elsewhere hasn't been very strong. In the meantime, we are just focusing on bus trips and watch parties for now. If someone has ideas on what we can do at the games, please drop us a note. We certainly would love to have more interest.

For now, I guess the best thing we can do is our small part in our section. Stand a little more, yell a little more, and cheer these guys on. That kind of stuff will spread to others. Yes, second on keeping the cheerleaders.

Return to “The Aces”