Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 pm
Fan Since: 1965
Location: Evansville

Re: Games of Interest

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 am

I agree with all you said Ibleedpurple. If everyone is healthy, and Walter can recruit a big, which you know the staff is trying, next year could be special.
On the other hand, while visiting the UNI board last week, they're sure that they will win the Valley the next 2 years, and probably the year after that too. Between their "great" freshmen, and their beloved Coach Jake, they're going to be so good, they'll be on another level.
Nobody will believe UE is good until it happens. Looking forward very much to that.

JohnU
Road Tripper
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm
Fan Since: 1966

Re: Games of Interest

Postby JohnU » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 am

One would realistically think the Aces will be better incrementally over the next year or two.
As for other programs improving, that's their objective. Recruiting for the mid-majors is an ongoing process. The trick is to get guys who fit, who stay and who can blend with an ever-changing landscape. I long ago set my illusions aside about all this.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Games of Interest

Postby acecard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm

JohnU wrote:One would realistically think the Aces will be better incrementally over the next year or two.
As for other programs improving, that's their objective. Recruiting for the mid-majors is an ongoing process. The trick is to get guys who fit, who stay and who can blend with an ever-changing landscape. I long ago set my illusions aside about all this.

John, not sure what your illusions where, but if they included any form of grandeur, then the last 11 years would surely have ground them into the dust. I have no doubt that the coming years will see the Aces get to where we want them to be, but it will require an upgrade in talent, and athleticism. I will take any player in the 2-3-4 star category, but until we get post position players who can dominate in the paint, offensively and defensively, we will not get to were we want to be. I'm sure Walter knows this as well as I do, so we will just have wait for it to happen. My only problem now, is will I live to see it.

JohnU
Road Tripper
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm
Fan Since: 1966

Re: Games of Interest

Postby JohnU » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 pm

acecard wrote:John, not sure what your illusions where, but if they included any form of grandeur, then the last 11 years would surely have ground them into the dust. I have no doubt that the coming years will see the Aces get to where we want them to be, but it will require an upgrade in talent, and athleticism. I will take any player in the 2-3-4 star category, but until we get post position players who can dominate in the paint, offensively and defensively, we will not get to were we want to be. I'm sure Walter knows this as well as I do, so we will just have wait for it to happen. My only problem now, is will I live to see it.

I have some expectations but I doubt I live that long. I would like to see U of E in a position to accept an NIT bid next year, and maybe a field of 68 ... in 2 years. Beyond that, I would be giddy with 20 wins against real teams. Mainly when I tune in to watch, I want to see a team capable of beating their opponent, not just playing well enough to accept a moral victory. If you are gonna play Illinois, don't get beat by 40 friggin' points.

I am just not that much of a pollyanna about this stuff.

I never was as down on Simmons as everyone else on this board, as if piling on somehow changes it. Without expanding on that, McCarty is 10 games into his career. Make of it what you will.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Games of Interest

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Missouri just manhandled Xavier at home. The more I watch of X, the happier and happier I am with our coaching staff. My gut tells me X coach is not going to get it done. I could be way off as it is barely 1/4 into the season but so far I am not impressed.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:00 am
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Games of Interest

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:34 am

Ark.St whom we lost by 10,beat Bradley by 8 at Ark

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 pm
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Games of Interest

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

muni cup14 wrote:Ark.St whom we lost by 10,beat Bradley by 8 at Ark


I think you mean Missouri State, but I could be wrong.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:00 am
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Games of Interest

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am

You are correct,

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Games of Interest

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:04 pm

JohnU wrote:
acecard wrote:John, not sure what your illusions where, but if they included any form of grandeur, then the last 11 years would surely have ground them into the dust. I have no doubt that the coming years will see the Aces get to where we want them to be, but it will require an upgrade in talent, and athleticism. I will take any player in the 2-3-4 star category, but until we get post position players who can dominate in the paint, offensively and defensively, we will not get to were we want to be. I'm sure Walter knows this as well as I do, so we will just have wait for it to happen. My only problem now, is will I live to see it.

I have some expectations but I doubt I live that long. I would like to see U of E in a position to accept an NIT bid next year, and maybe a field of 68 ... in 2 years. Beyond that, I would be giddy with 20 wins against real teams. Mainly when I tune in to watch, I want to see a team capable of beating their opponent, not just playing well enough to accept a moral victory. If you are gonna play Illinois, don't get beat by 40 friggin' points.

I am just not that much of a pollyanna about this stuff.

I never was as down on Simmons as everyone else on this board, as if piling on somehow changes it. Without expanding on that, McCarty is 10 games into his career. Make of it what you will.


If the fans didn't "pile on" Simmons, he'd still be here. Piling on did make a difference. He's gone and the fans are returning. My sincerest thank you to everyone who piled on. My take is that if you are going to play Illinois, don't do it your first game of the year under new coach trying to fill spots late in the recruiting season and who lost four starters from the previous year, including the two best players to transfer and with your biggest player who started 19 games last year sitting on the bench suspended. It is unlikely that we would lose by 40 friggin' points to Illinois if we played them now.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:59 pm
Fan Since: 1954

Re: Games of Interest

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 pm

I’m sitting here watching Marquette playing Buffalo and I’m seeing a Marquette guard that looks a lot like UE’s two freshman guards. His name is Markus Howard, 5-11, 175.

He just happened to go to HS about 2 miles from me in Gilbert, AZ. You don’t see much in the local media because of the size of the Metro area here and he only averaged about 18 points per game in HS.

His style of play, shooting the jumper or slashing to the rim. He’s their go to player. Tonight he had 45 points while making 9-13 from 3-point range. He’s a junior so only two years ahead of our guards but I see them developing into a similar player. Maybe not the scoring but as a player who can take control of a game, and we have two of them.


Return to “The Aces”