Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
kyace1
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1983

Re: Games of Interest

Postby kyace1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Jacksonville State took West Virginia to the wire losing 74-72.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Murray State lost at Auburn by 5.
Loyola lost by 3 on buzzer beater at St Josephs
ISU Trees beat Colorado in Hawaii tournament
Bradley beat SE Louisiana at home by 3
SIU Lost to Winthrop at home by 8

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Just watched Drake beat San Diego 110-103 in double overtime. Drake was lead by #20 Nick Norton who scored 31 points. Guess what? At 5'10" he was the shortest player on the floor. There is more to the game of basketball than how tall a player is. Very impressed with Drake. They play the game the way it is meant to be played. I will not be picking the Aces to win their first MVC game. I also saw Ind. St. this weekend and was even more impressed with them. Best looking MVC team I have seen this year.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Yep I saw both IN State and Drake and they were both impressive. Drake has two outside shooters and a pretty good inside game. Ellingson transferred from Iowa and Norton from UAB and they were hitting big time jumpers or driving the lane all night. McGlynn at 6-8 is a handful in the lane or shooting outside. My guess is they will be favored when they visit the Ford.

Indiana State is well Indiana State. Jordan Barnes is capable lighting it up for a bunch as he did today getting 28 on 11-15 shooting from the field.

I think the Valley is going to be tougher than most thought this year they just won’t have the one or two powerhouse teams. Our guys will need a lot of home crowd support beginning in January.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:38 am

Sounds like a 5 or 6 loss conference record might be a winner.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:25 am

I watched ISU Trees twice this weekend. They will be tough to beat. They have a lot of weapons, a big guy with good footwork and lead the nation in 3 point shooting percentage. I think us finishing around 6th as projected is probably not too far off. Anything but 7th or worse.

lawrencevgibson
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby lawrencevgibson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:44 pm

acecard wrote:Just watched Drake beat San Diego 110-103 in double overtime. Drake was lead by #20 Nick Norton who scored 31 points. Guess what? At 5'10" he was the shortest player on the floor. There is more to the game of basketball than how tall a player is. Very impressed with Drake. They play the game the way it is meant to be played. I will not be picking the Aces to win their first MVC game. I also saw Ind. St. this weekend and was even more impressed with them. Best looking MVC team I have seen this year.

I watched the game as well. Yes Drake is a good team but SD St. just ran out of gas. Ellington and Norton shot way over their averages. I was most impressed by McGlin. He has improved a lot. I do think they’re beatable. Our best shot is to put DC on McGlin and hopefully control the paint.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I watched ISU Trees twice this weekend. They will be tough to beat. They have a lot of weapons, a big guy with good footwork and lead the nation in 3 point shooting percentage. I think us finishing around 6th as projected is probably not too far off. Anything but 7th or worse.

The MVC is much more open than what I had first anticipated. But clearly the top favorites, Loyola, Illinois State, SIU, and Bradley are much more vulnerable than what I had anticipated. Yes, ISU could sneak up on everyone this year...Barnes and Cooper will keep them in every game. From top to bottom the MVC title is going to be a real dog fight.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:04 pm

acecard wrote:Just watched Drake beat San Diego 110-103 in double overtime. Drake was lead by #20 Nick Norton who scored 31 points. Guess what? At 5'10" he was the shortest player on the floor. There is more to the game of basketball than how tall a player is. Very impressed with Drake. They play the game the way it is meant to be played. I will not be picking the Aces to win their first MVC game. I also saw Ind. St. this weekend and was even more impressed with them. Best looking MVC team I have seen this year.

Nick Norton is quite the player, even at 5'10. Jordon Barnes for ISU is listed at 5/11 and 150 lbs....I am not sure he is not the best player in the MVC.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:33 pm

letsgoAces wrote:

Nick Norton is quite the player, even at 5'10. Jordon Barnes for ISU is listed at 5/11 and 150 lbs....I am not sure he is not the best player in the MVC.

Yes, Norton, and Barnes are favorites for Player of the Year this year. Don't forget about Clayton Custer at Loyola either. Just like Ja Morant each of those guys can take over the game in the last four minutes. The Aces don't really have that kind of guy, or if they do, we haven't seen him. Also Drake, Ind. St., and Loyola have a big #5 who is better than anything the Aces can put on the floor. We all hope that the Aces can stay out of the Thursday game, but if they cannot prove that they can win on the road, and beat the above mentioned teams here, I'm afraid that's where we are headed. Can only hope that I am dead wrong.

Return to “The Aces”