Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Games of Interest

Postby ncace » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:32 pm

After a VERY GOOD pre-conf. Performance against good competition, I am happy to watch the team's progress as we head into the MVC sked, then see how the chips fall. I'm not concerned about being a Thurs. team at Arch Madness. If the kids give the same kind of effort we've seen so far, and if we get consistent, on-court leadership from KJ and others, I think we'll be a tough out in St. Louis.

Indiana St. and Drake will not sneak up on anyone. SIU and ISUr have been inconsistent so far, and the MVC will have a lot of games decided in the last 4 minutes. We still need to learn how to win on the road, hopefully starting this weekend against Miami. We'll be very competitive at Ford, but even more so if we can get more students to attend and at least 5500 fans IN THEIR SEATS every game.

We have a TEAM we can be proud of. GO ACES!!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:08 am

acecard wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
acecard wrote:Just watched Drake beat San Diego 110-103 in double overtime. Drake was lead by #20 Nick Norton who scored 31 points. Guess what? At 5'10" he was the shortest player on the floor. There is more to the game of basketball than how tall a player is. Very impressed with Drake. They play the game the way it is meant to be played. I will not be picking the Aces to win their first MVC game. I also saw Ind. St. this weekend and was even more impressed with them. Best looking MVC team I have seen this year.

Nick Norton is quite the player, even at 5'10. Jordon Barnes for ISU is listed at 5/11 and 150 lbs....I am not sure he is not the best player in the MVC.

Yes, Norton, and Barnes are favorites for Player of the Year this year. Don't forget about Clayton Custer at Loyola either. Just like Ja Morant each of those guys can take over the game in the last four minutes. The Aces don't really have that kind of guy, or if they do, we haven't seen him. Also Drake, Ind. St., and Loyola have a big #5 who is better than anything the Aces can put on the floor. We all hope that the Aces can stay out of the Thursday game, but if they cannot prove that they can win on the road, and beat the above mentioned teams here, I'm afraid that's where we are headed. Can only hope that I am dead wrong.

Completely agree with you on all points. Will be fun to see, however, if Evansville can fool many of the pre-season experts, including myself, and finish higher than last place.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:26 am

letsgoAces wrote:
acecard wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
Nick Norton is quite the player, even at 5'10. Jordon Barnes for ISU is listed at 5/11 and 150 lbs....I am not sure he is not the best player in the MVC.

Yes, Norton, and Barnes are favorites for Player of the Year this year. Don't forget about Clayton Custer at Loyola either. Just like Ja Morant each of those guys can take over the game in the last four minutes. The Aces don't really have that kind of guy, or if they do, we haven't seen him. Also Drake, Ind. St., and Loyola have a big #5 who is better than anything the Aces can put on the floor. We all hope that the Aces can stay out of the Thursday game, but if they cannot prove that they can win on the road, and beat the above mentioned teams here, I'm afraid that's where we are headed. Can only hope that I am dead wrong.

Completely agree with you on all points. Will be fun to see, however, if Evansville can fool many of the pre-season experts, including myself, and finish higher than last place.

Sometimes I am hard on the Aces, sometimes too hard, but I truly believe that they will not finish in last place.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 am

Yes I think it's safe to say we do not have the head count and inside meat to finish in the top of the MVC......BUT, if our 3's come back I think we could easily come in safe from Thursday. Feehan and Kuhlman needs to regain confidence, Hill and Hall needs to take more. Regardless it's going to be fun introducing Shamar to the "Valley".

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Texas Southern beat Texas A M

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Apparently, Texas Southern is not cannon fodder to the P-5s. I mean, they took down Baylor, Oregon, and now Texas A&M.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

lawrencevgibson
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby lawrencevgibson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm

WKU just beat Wisconsin. It was a good game to watch. With all the problems WKU has had to work through they stepped up big today.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:31 pm

lawrencevgibson wrote:WKU just beat Wisconsin. It was a good game to watch. With all the problems WKU has had to work through they stepped up big today.

I turned this game on when I turned off the non competitive bowl game between Clemson and ND.
Great win for WKU for sure. They have some size and athleticism on that team for sure.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 pm

UCLA lost to Liberty University of the Atlantic Sun Conference today at Pauley Pavilion and the final score wasn't close - Liberty 73-UCLA 58. The Bruins have a 7-6 record to close out pre-conference play before PAC-12 action begins on January 3rd. Two of the six losses are to mid-majors (Liberty and Belmont). The fans at bruinsnations.com want Alford to be fired immediately. It will be interesting to see how long Alford remains as the UCLA coach and where he will end up next.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:56 am

At least he won’t end up in Evansville.

Return to “The Aces”