Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Games of Interest

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:00 am

We have two local high school football teams playing for state titles this weekend, Central on Friday, and Memorial on Saturday.
Too bad those games are not in reverse, because Jevin Redman, the Aces' outstanding play by announcer, has also been calling Memorial football games this season, but will have to miss their biggest game of the season, as he will be in Muncie for the UE game. "Touchdown Tigers!!" has become his signature call this fall.
In last week's, broadcast he and his partner, a former BSU student, touched on the fact that the Aces would be playing at Ball State on a holiday weekend, with most students gone, so that could be a break for the Aces. They also mentioned that it being a Saturday afternoon game wouldn't help the attendance either.
So, maybe Ball State won't have too much of a home court edge.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:05 am

svmar10 wrote:We just broke into the one hundreds of Sagarin's computer rankings (199). A little early to mean much but it puts us a 5 point underdog with another 2 points for Ball State's home court. But the way we responded in the Xavier environment, without DC, I like our chances.

That is why I was saying that if we beat Ball State on the road that I will be impressed. All road games (for UE) are tough. Ball State is a very good team (and we would be an underdog at home with the current rankings). Also let’s not forget that we have not won on the road yet this year - so it would definitely be our best win to date...As you said, it is too early to put much trust in these ratings.

But anyway you cut it, this would be a nice win if it happens.

Go Aces!!!

svmar10
Road Tripper

Postby svmar10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:08 pm

And as far as that Illinois game goes. I as an optimist extraordinaire view that game positive. After a complete overhaul of a program. Re-set, re-vamp, new plays, new mind sets and to the returning players the disbelief they don't have to check over to the bench to grant approval for each shot... It's green light BABY! I could have envisioned 20 games into the season getting the hang of it, instead it took 20 minutes. We were only outscore by 8 in the second half without DC, and it carried right through to X, and it's been off to the races ever since. No doubt we have loses coming from being simply out manned, But I'm quite confident the loses will no longer be due to style.

GO ACES

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:02 pm

#3 Gonzaga beat #1 Duke in the Maui tournament 89-87.

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Xavier beats Illinois ... 83 to 74 ... in Maui Tournament.

svmar10
Road Tripper

Postby svmar10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Well, I tuned in to a game of interest, X vs Illinois. And the only thought I came away with is; who packs Bill Walton's traveling medication bag? Gary Busey?

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 pm

svmar10 wrote:Well, I tuned in to a game of interest, X vs Illinois. And the only thought I came away with is; who packs Bill Walton's traveling medication bag? Gary Busey?

X is probably better than Illinois 3 out of 5 times. But I hear ya on Walton. He's part of the national stable of talkalots who have been allowed prosper without a filter for a long time. That dates back to Al McGuire and Mouth Vitale. It's all about them, not the sport.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:15 pm

JohnU wrote:
svmar10 wrote:Well, I tuned in to a game of interest, X vs Illinois. And the only thought I came away with is; who packs Bill Walton's traveling medication bag? Gary Busey?

X is probably better than Illinois 3 out of 5 times. But I hear ya on Walton. He's part of the national stable of talkalots who have been allowed prosper without a filter for a long time. That dates back to Al McGuire and Mouth Vitale. It's all about them, not the sport.

I thought the same thing about Chris Berman. I always turned the volume down when he was broadcasting.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Just watched the last 5 minutes of the 1st half Northwestern-Fresno game. Players won't throw the ball to Taylor,3 shots taken so far.Hiw do you like your new TEAM NOW.Yes I'm a little bitter Ryan left

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:23 pm

muni cup14 wrote:Just watched the last 5 minutes of the 1st half Northwestern-Fresno game. Players won't throw the ball to Taylor,3 shots taken so far.Hiw do you like your new TEAM NOW.Yes I'm a little bitter Ryan left

Im not so much on Ryan transferring as I am on Dru Smith Taylor was a 5 year senior and was wanting a major which UE didn't have Smith had a chance to help rebuild his city back up and transferred knowing he'd have to sit out wherever he went to but he is not even in my mind now gl and so long to Dru.

Return to “The Aces”