Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Re: Games of Interest

Postby JohnU » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am

Watching Feehan, comparing him to Taylor ... I don't think the U E offense will suffer much in that arena. Taylor probably is better on defense because of his height but I think Feehan will burn pretty bright. He probably wants to prove he can play at the D1 level.

To be honest, I think the defense the Aces are building is a lot better than the results have shown. Raw points-per-game numbers don't tell everything.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 pm

My take on Taylor is he will have a tough year especially once conference play starts, and he is not that great at defense, I think his defense is less than average, the Marty system of setting screens for the best shooter I think can give you a false read on a player's real scoring ability.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:My take on Taylor is he will have a tough year especially once conference play starts, and he is not that great at defense, I think his defense is less than average, the Marty system of setting screens for the best shooter I think can give you a false read on a player's real scoring ability.

I looked at the NU website for RT's stats this year. Second leading scorer at 12 and change a game. Averaging a bit over 20 minutes a game. I also watched most of the second half of the Fresno State game. He looked lost on offense most of the time. Very few touches.

I tend to agree he will struggle when it comes to B1G conference play. Hopefully he's taking advantage of the educational opportunity at academically prestigious NU.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:44 pm

I have always thought that both Taylor and Smith were making the wrong decision (from the standpoint of their basketball careers) in leaving this the high-visioned UE program under our new coach. I watched Taylor in an early game where he scored 20 points and got a lot of recognition as "the former high-point shooter in the MVC and an ex UE star," Since then he has not done that well and seems to be shunned, pass-wise, by his teammates...jealousy? Fear of him stealing the spotlight? Can't help thinking how much our team, new coaches, and fans would have supported him in his last year...I do hope that he does well, but sure think he made a mistake in his choice of programs.

Dru was my favorite player...he, too, would have done himself a favor to have stayed and helped the Aces skyrocket to success, and relevance, in our conference, and nationally.....and would have danced with the best.

These two young men jumped ship right a it was being righted, and not only righted, but suddenly having its course corrected and the speed accelerated......such excitement and sense of pride in every move....who wouldn't want that as a reward for talent and hard work?

I wish the best for both young men, and know that each has to follow his own plan. I also back the guys who remained ACES, and love the new-found confidence and re-energized work effort they exhibit in each game. I truly believe that this team , and our coaches, ...and the fans are all realizing that we are building fast toward the uniqueness, and for us, the historical, prospect of a small school in basketball-crazed Indiana, to rise to the top and take our place among the big boys.....it's going to happen...and we are seeing the groundwork being laid!

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Valley scores from Saturday:

Indiana St 63 Western KY 54 - Nice win for the Sycs in Terre Haute. I haven't looked, but my money is on a full blown meltdown on the Hilltopper board blaming the refs. Not sure what to expect from the Sycs, Ball State beat them by 20 a couple of weeks ago.

Valpo respectable with West Virginia losing 88-76.

Bradley puts away Chicago St 86-70.

Illinois State beats D2 Lindenwood 79-62, but Lindenwood actually played them much closer in the 2nd half.

MVC Program in Waiting Murray State led from the start in beating Missouri State 77-66 in Murray.

And on Friday night, the Salukis hung a 10 point shiner on former member Tulsa, 79-69.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 pm

E-Villan wrote:Valley scores from Saturday:

Indiana St 63 Western KY 54 - Nice win for the Sycs in Terre Haute. I haven't looked, but my money is on a full blown meltdown on the Hilltopper board blaming the refs. Not sure what to expect from the Sycs, Ball State beat them by 20 a couple of weeks ago.

Valpo respectable with West Virginia losing 88-76.

Bradley puts away Chicago St 86-70.

Illinois State beats D2 Lindenwood 79-62, but Lindenwood actually played them much closer in the 2nd half.

MVC Program in Waiting Murray State led from the start in beating Missouri State 77-66 in Murray.

And on Friday night, the Salukis hung a 10 point shiner on former member Tulsa, 79-69.

UMASS turned the Salukies every way but loose the night before, but SIU will be a major player in the MVC.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 pm

#18 Oregon hosts Texas Southern (tonight)
#5 Nevada @ RAMBLERS (11/27)

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:07 am

Teases Southern upset #18 Oregon

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:49 am

acesfan27 wrote:Teases Southern upset #18 Oregon

Certainly did not expect that...makes our win look a whole lot better!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:15 am

I thought we were fortunate to pull away from them like we did. Good morning in for Texas sou and for us

Return to “The Aces”