Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Games of Interest

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am

stennisrm72 wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:My take on Taylor is he will have a tough year especially once conference play starts, and he is not that great at defense, I think his defense is less than average, the Marty system of setting screens for the best shooter I think can give you a false read on a player's real scoring ability.

I looked at the NU website for RT's stats this year. Second leading scorer at 12 and change a game. Averaging a bit over 20 minutes a game. I also watched most of the second half of the Fresno State game. He looked lost on offense most of the time. Very few touches.

I tend to agree he will struggle when it comes to B1G conference play. Hopefully he's taking advantage of the educational opportunity at academically prestigious NU.

I've also watched a bit of Ryan Taylor at NW. Not much has changed other than that NW doesn't revolve an offense around him. He stills waves at defenders as they pass. He still avoids rebounds. He's still lethargic. He's the opposite of Dru Smith when it comes to intensity and defensive urgency. But, I wouldn't want to play him in HORSE.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
stennisrm72 wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:My take on Taylor is he will have a tough year especially once conference play starts, and he is not that great at defense, I think his defense is less than average, the Marty system of setting screens for the best shooter I think can give you a false read on a player's real scoring ability.

I looked at the NU website for RT's stats this year. Second leading scorer at 12 and change a game. Averaging a bit over 20 minutes a game. I also watched most of the second half of the Fresno State game. He looked lost on offense most of the time. Very few touches.

I tend to agree he will struggle when it comes to B1G conference play. Hopefully he's taking advantage of the educational opportunity at academically prestigious NU.

I've also watched a bit of Ryan Taylor at NW. Not much has changed other than that NW doesn't revolve an offense around him. He stills waves at defenders as they pass. He still avoids rebounds. He's still lethargic. He's the opposite of Dru Smith when it comes to intensity and defensive urgency. But, I wouldn't want to play him in HORSE.

Whiskers, what you say is pretty much true, but I bet the Aces would not be a last place place team with him on the roster. I don't even want to think what it might be with Dru on there also.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 pm

acesfan27 wrote:Teases Southern upset #18 Oregon

Sounds like their 7’2” center decided to play - 24 points and didn’t miss a FG or FT and played defense. Sounds like that was the main reason for the upset.

Texas Southern was a 24 point underdog; from my experience, 10+ point underdog upsets rarely happen; but that is why they play the games - you just never know. Still early in the season as well where the betting lines are still being figured out. (Note: We have upset teams like Creighton being a 10-13 point underdog but again that is the exception and not the norm.) So this was quite the upset.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401087101

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:18 pm

acesfan65 wrote:I thought we were fortunate to pull away from them like we did. Oregon is a great win for Texas sou and Texas sou is good win for us

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Ranks right there with Furman's wins over Nova and Loyola. Just goes to show what someone else said. If you bring your A game every night, nearly anyone can be beaten. Maybe they have an off night, maybe a player hurt, etc. The Ball St. coach made an interesting comment after last Sat. Sometimes a "small" team simply needs to play to their strengths, rather than being overly concerned about another's height advantage. Smart play and toughness can be a difference-maker. Looking forward to that Wed. night. I think you'll see Walter and staff making some "adjustments."

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:21 pm

ncace wrote:Ranks right there with Furman's wins over Nova and Loyola. Just goes to show what someone else said. If you bring your A game every night, nearly anyone can be beaten. Maybe they have an off night, maybe a player hurt, etc. The Ball St. coach made an interesting comment after last Sat. Sometimes a "small" team simply needs to play to their strengths, rather than being overly concerned about another's height advantage. Smart play and toughness can be a difference-maker. Looking forward to that Wed. night. I think you'll see Walter and staff making some "adjustments."

If he makes no adjustments at all, the home court is a 4-5 point swing, so this is what separates emerging programs from flagging ones -- making the home court worth something.
But against teams that simply have size, a smaller team can excel.
Mostly it's about turnovers. Single digits, please, on that.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 pm

acecard wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
stennisrm72 wrote:

Whiskers, what you say is pretty much true, but I bet the Aces would not be a last place place team with him on the roster. I don't even want to think what it might be with Dru on there also.

I don't think we will be a last place team this year regardless.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:56 am

IU plays against Ryan Taylor and Northwestern today at 12 central on BTN, an hour before the tip-off of UE and Albion. Considering that I probably guessed too high on the attendance numbers in the prediction contest. If I were in Evansville today I'd probably stay at home to watch a Big Ten game instead of paying to see the Aces play a DIII team. Speaking of BTN, don't forget to cancel your BTN+ subscription if you purchased one to watch the UE vs. Illinois game.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ncace » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 am

Because I live 7 hrs from Eville, I've only seen 2 games in person this year, however the attendance figures of 4400, 4688, etc. are a bit cloudy, IMHO. Just a quick look at fans in seats for WY, there may have been 3000-3500 tops actually in attendance. My understanding is that Official Figures include all tics SOLD, not a turnstile count of people actually there. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but several folks with seats near ours agreed. That said, I'm glad for inc. season tic revenue, just hoping for more screaming fans, especially students. This team deserves our support. Go ACES!

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:28 am

ncace wrote:Because I live 7 hrs from Eville, I've only seen 2 games in person this year, however the attendance figures of 4400, 4688, etc. are a bit cloudy, IMHO. Just a quick look at fans in seats for WY, there may have been 3000-3500 tops actually in attendance. My understanding is that Official Figures include all tics SOLD, not a turnstile count of people actually there. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but several folks with seats near ours agreed. That said, I'm glad for inc. season tic revenue, just hoping for more screaming fans, especially students. This team deserves our support. Go ACES!

Does it really matter how many people we guess are present versus how many bought tickets? Tickets sold is how you fill the bank. I have painful memories of the empty seats in Marty's November games. He would have given up ice cream to have that many fans in the seats last year. I am surprised at how many people don't arrive until after the national anthem, probably made worse by the 6 starting time. I'm always there a half hour early to watch warm-ups. I want to get full value for my dollar.

Return to “The Aces”