Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
aceslifer
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1956

Re: Games of Interest

Postby aceslifer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am

estimates of attendance is just that,,,a pure guess.....enjoy the game, leave the announced figure to those who know how many tics are sold

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:07 am

I'm in attendance at virtually all home games and it is clearly evident there are more butts in seats this season. Yes, announced attendance numbers include season tickets sold but not in the building. The actual number in attendance is generally not released. My source is a management level Ford Center employee. Regardless, this team and staff have earned our support. Tell all your friends and acquaintances to come out and see for themselves.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:30 am

Correct, actual butts in seats are significantly up, probably the highest since the first year at the FC. It should continue to increase as the season goes along if they keep playing like they have been.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:54 am

GA Ace wrote:IU plays against Ryan Taylor and Northwestern today at 12 central on BTN, an hour before the tip-off of UE and Albion. Considering that I probably guessed too high on the attendance numbers in the prediction contest. If I were in Evansville today I'd probably stay at home to watch a Big Ten game instead of paying to see the Aces play a DIII team. Speaking of BTN, don't forget to cancel your BTN+ subscription if you purchased one to watch the UE vs. Illinois game.

If you just paid them $9.95 for November, you are automatically cancelled as of today, per their email to me.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:22 pm

In addition to the two MVC-MWC challenge games we lost today, here is the rest of the Valley for today.

Indiana State beat Wright State 69-63. Sycamores pretty hot after opening game loss to Ball St.
SIU beat SIU 82-61.
Drake with a nice win over North Dakota State 95-88
Loyola takes out UIC 73-64
Missouri State gets crushed by Oregon State 77-101
UNI absolutely pummeled by South Dakota State 82-50. The 3rd consectuive loss, and 2nd consecutive blow out for the Fighting Floppers.
Valpo in action tomorrow against UC-RIverside.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 am

I watched the Valpo-High Point game last night and the Valpo announcer seemed a bit surprised that High Point was "hanging around" before they pulled out a rare win on the VU court. He's another radio scribe who's bought the story about the Valley being the best-middie league in all the land ... and that teams like High Point are just RPI fodder. Ummmm .... no. (And neither is Ark. State.)

High Point is coached by Tubby Smith, a legend who makes his players pass the ball, take sensible shots ... and cut their hair. They lack the size to make a tournament run but they aren't unlike Loyola in some ways. Tubby also showed some genius. Valpo's big guy, Smits, was ruling the inside game so Tubby took a 6-11 guy who almost never plays, stuck him inside to guard Smits -- the result was, Smits changed his game, High Point adapted, put the big kid back on the bench and began to play their game. It was masterful coaching.

Not sure where I am going with this, specifically, but High Point was in D-2 not all that many years ago.

I hope McCarty can show me masterful coaching like Tubby Smith's.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:42 am

Walter's options are limited, and he knows it. He also knows that most teams have an injury or two, and that he cannot afford even one. So, the strategic possibilities for this team are pretty limited. If DC plays himself into shape and can begin to see that teams are baiting him into foul trouble, we will see some improvement inside. A DC who gets 20-25 productive minutes will help this team a bunch. He frees up John Hall to do more, and he can also provide the inside presence to allow Riley to slash, not to mention giving more opportunities for the ball to be moved outside for Noah, Shea, and others to shoot the 3. A couple of other posters have spoken about using Givance more. I think this will come as the season progresses, but it'll depend on the matchups. A team like Green Bay, later in the season, starts a couple of pretty big guards. I don't think we'll see a lot of Shamar in that one, but who knows? The kid has a HUGE motor, and I like him.

The comments about Tubby were insightful. Yes, he's playing a UNI/Loyola type of game. Keep the score around 50-60, and anyone has a chance to win a game during the last 2 minutes. I'm glad that's not Walter's approach, but I understand why some coaches manage the game that way.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 am

I believe Walter is already changing our offense a tad bit. I think he has come to realize that we do not have a high percentage shooting 3-point team. Against Arkansas State we drove to the basket a lot more in the second half and also we only took I believe 14 3-pointers

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 am

ncace wrote:Walter's options are limited, and he knows it. ..............
The comments about Tubby were insightful. Yes, he's playing a UNI/Loyola type of game. Keep the score around 50-60, and anyone has a chance to win a game during the last 2 minutes. I'm glad that's not Walter's approach, but I understand why some coaches manage the game that way.

Progressive coaches adapt to their personnel, so that's useful. I haven't watched High Point other than this game but they don't have much size. They aren't very deep but they appear to be under control. They aren't exactly surrounded by top D-1 programs there in North Carolina, are they?

I'm a big fan of run and gun, but it's easier said than done if they aren't hitting the shots. It's hard to transition into defense that way. Ending up like Grinnell, losing games 120-109 ... interesting but not really any better than losing 54-43.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Just watched Ball State beat Loyola in Chicago 75-69. I don't believe we could beat either team.

Return to “The Aces”