Games of Interest

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:55 am
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Games of Interest

Postby ncace » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 am

Also, WY beats S. Carolina, Mo St. takes out WKU, SIU defeats SLU, etc. We may not have beaten either Loyola or BSU last night, but we are CAPABLE of winning any given night. A couple of other posters have made comments about fundamentals, and I believe that our staff has been stressing the defensive side, as expressed in a couple of recent player interviews. This team is going to have bright spots, and on some nights we're going to sneak out with a win when we weren't supposed to. This weekend will be a good indicator to see if: a leader, or leaders, emerge, our shooting can get us going early (rather than the slow starts we've had so far), and whether we'll play sound defense rather than hoping the refs don't call it close.

I believe they'll shake off the ASU loss and give BSU a run for their money Sun. Go Aces!!

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 am
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Games of Interest

Postby GoAcesgo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:30 am

ncace wrote:Also, WY beats S. Carolina, Mo St. takes out WKU, SIU defeats SLU, etc. We may not have beaten either Loyola or BSU last night, but we are CAPABLE of winning any given night. A couple of other posters have made comments about fundamentals, and I believe that our staff has been stressing the defensive side, as expressed in a couple of recent player interviews. This team is going to have bright spots, and on some nights we're going to sneak out with a win when we weren't supposed to. This weekend will be a good indicator to see if: a leader, or leaders, emerge, our shooting can get us going early (rather than the slow starts we've had so far), and whether we'll play sound defense rather than hoping the refs don't call it close.

I believe they'll shake off the ASU loss and give BSU a run for their money Sun. Go Aces!!


I agree with you I have watched several MVC games this year and feel like we can compete, but I will say Ball State may very well the best team we will play this year, they play very smart and have taken out 3 MVC teams already this year.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm
Fan Since: 1966

Re: Games of Interest

Postby JohnU » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 am

ncace wrote:Also, WY beats S. Carolina, Mo St. takes out WKU, SIU defeats SLU, etc. We may not have beaten either Loyola or BSU last night, but we are CAPABLE of winning any given night. A couple of other posters have made comments about fundamentals, and I believe that our staff has been stressing the defensive side, as expressed in a couple of recent player interviews. This team is going to have bright spots, and on some nights we're going to sneak out with a win when we weren't supposed to. This weekend will be a good indicator to see if: a leader, or leaders, emerge, our shooting can get us going early (rather than the slow starts we've had so far), and whether we'll play sound defense rather than hoping the refs don't call it close.

I believe they'll shake off the ASU loss and give BSU a run for their money Sun. Go Aces!!

The part about defense is interesting because it directly relates to offense.
If the shots are falling, the team can more easily transition into defense. Teams that don't transition into defense are usually running, not set ... and the fouls don't usually favor defenders who aren't set.

Getting offensive rebounds is harder if you insist on shooting the 3-ball. Rebounds are longer.

I like a 3-ball offense for excitement but it rarely succeeds in the long run. For now, the Aces lack any inside game. it's all they have. It will work once out of 4 games.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:34 am
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Games of Interest

Postby svmar10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:50 pm

The Wednesday game between Loyola and Ball state was of interest. Our coaches and team had better have figured things out and we fans need to show up in force and show this new re-vamped program a new re-vamped fan base. We can do this!

GO ACES

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Games of Interest

Postby acecard » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

IF the Aces can pull off this upset of Ball State, it will be the most impressive, and important game of the season.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 am

Re: Games of Interest

Postby riverboat_gambler » Yesterday 2:37 pm

Anyone recall the two UNI posters who go on 18 paragraph rants about the greatness of almighty Northern Iowa and how terrible the privates are?

They’re rebounding from an 82-50 nailbiter to S Dakota St with trailing Dubuque 50-40 midway thru 2nd.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Games of Interest

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Yesterday 2:44 pm

riverboat_gambler wrote:Anyone recall the two UNI posters who go on 18 paragraph rants about the greatness of almighty Northern Iowa and how terrible the privates are?

They’re rebounding from an 82-50 nailbiter to S Dakota St with trailing Dubuque 50-40 midway thru 2nd.


UNI always gets preseason credit because of the perception that their coach is special. Their coach is special...when they have special players. Not so much when they don't. They are a Thursday team so we may play them three times again.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Games of Interest

Postby acecard » Yesterday 3:52 pm

UNI wins 75-67. Maybe it's better to wait until the game is over.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Games of Interest

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Yesterday 4:01 pm

acecard wrote:UNI wins 75-67. Maybe it's better to wait until the game is over.


Was their win supposed to change my mind? Dubuque is D3 and nearly pulled the upset on UNI's floor. UNI is Thursday team. Wes Washpun is long gone.

User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

Re: Games of Interest

Postby E-Villan » Yesterday 6:20 pm

riverboat_gambler wrote:Anyone recall the two UNI posters who go on 18 paragraph rants about the greatness of almighty Northern Iowa and how terrible the privates are?

They’re rebounding from an 82-50 nailbiter to S Dakota St with trailing Dubuque 50-40 midway thru 2nd.


There is only one UNI poster that is a real tool, something like uniftw. Epic rants. I remember one such one where he was going on and on about the pool at UNI and how it proved how superior they were. I also noticed he has been hanging on the Valpo board of all places, telling them how sucky the private schools are......either he doesn't realize they are private, or he just wants to fill their heads with how great UNI is.

I think Jacobsons grab and flop gameplans are starting to get exposed. They were a top 25 team a few years back and still couldn't fill that glorified high school barn they play in. Just about any other school in this conference cracks the Top 25, and it will be standing room only. Jacobson may be one dimensional, but he sure had Marty's number. No wonder he was sad to see him go.


Return to “The Aces”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yandex [Bot] and 2 guests