Cowboys game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Jim Shackelford
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1962

Re: Cowboys game

Postby Jim Shackelford » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:
Acescott wrote:Does anyone recall Larry Calton getting a technical foul called on him? You could hear him on the broadcast yelling stuff like 'give us a break' at refs and complaining about officiating on air, and they T'd him up. Could hear ref on radio explaining call to scorer's table. Calton just kept saying 'unbelievable!' as free throws were being shot.

Who is Larry Calton? Bob Buck got a technical called him. IMO, Bob was the best broadcaster. Homer all the way and he and Crews had a great rapport.

No one will ever be better than Marv Bates.

Aces Aces
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces Aces » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Jim Shackelford wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:
Acescott wrote:Does anyone recall Larry Calton getting a technical foul called on him? You could hear him on the broadcast yelling stuff like 'give us a break' at refs and complaining about officiating on air, and they T'd him up. Could hear ref on radio explaining call to scorer's table. Calton just kept saying 'unbelievable!' as free throws were being shot.

Who is Larry Calton? Bob Buck got a technical called him. IMO, Bob was the best broadcaster. Homer all the way and he and Crews had a great rapport.

Don't forget.....Jiggs DeVault and Gus Banko was part of the Marv Bates broadcasting team.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Aces Aces wrote:
Jim Shackelford wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:Who is Larry Calton? Bob Buck got a technical called him. IMO, Bob was the best broadcaster. Homer all the way and he and Crews had a great rapport.

Don't forget.....Jiggs DeVault and Gus Banko was part of the Marv Bates broadcasting team.

+100 listened to many high school and Aces broadcasts with those gentlemen. Are any of their broadcasts on YouTube? I know the one of the national championship game that was used in the intro video.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 am

Keeping on the topic of UE broadcasts, I probably won't be able to watch the Albion game live so I'll listen to the TV announcers. Hopefully it's Kyle Peach and Marcus Wilson, but most likely it'll be the college kids they have doing some of the games considering it's a DIII opponent. I'm all for the students getting some experience but the broadcast has a very ametueur feeling to it with them on the mic of the only televised broadcast of a particular DI game. IU and other schools have students call games on the radio but it's buried on a student radio station. WUEV 91.5 is an option now for college students calling a college game on a college radio station. I usually sync the radio and TV broadcasts, but when I watch a replay on the ESPN feeds, it seems the other MVC have a set team of seasoned announcers that are pretty consistent year to year. Next year the team will have a big-time feel when Art, Deandre, and Sam are in the lineup. Might as well have a big-time TV media presence too when more people will likely tune in. I was always a fan of the Mike Blake and Dean Webster telecasts on WFIE in the late 80's into the 90's, local broadcasters with lots of knowledge of the team. It was kind of a pain during the few national telecasts back in the day when national broadcasters with very little knowledge of the Aces had the call. I kind of overlooked it though because it was usually an NCAA game. IIRC, one of the broadcasters referred to the Aces home stadium as Roberts Arena during the UTEP game in 1992.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:21 am

Completely agree GA Ace, I haven’t seen any of the ESPN+ broadcasts yet this year but I agree in the past some have been very amateurish. I have seen a lot of the Dean Webster/Mike Blake games and i too thought they did a good job. I’ve noticed other MVC schools (Bradley and Illinois St specifically) have seasoned announcers like that who work the ESPN3/+ broadcast. Peach does a good job too. He would be a good play by play guy for TV games.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”