Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Cowboys game

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:09 am

Ad1770 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:I loved the way Hendrix was wrapping his arms around Feehan all night long on defense. Guess that is one way to shut him down. Even funnier when he couldn’t figure out why he fouled out.

Was it Hendrix who fouled out and was prancing around on the court and sideline waving his arms? That was far more gesturing than anything that DC could have possibly been doing.

Not to take away anything from Wyoming, but those officials were pathetic, especially the short one with the gray hair. What was the makeup of the officiating crew...MVC, MWC, YMCA Biddy Ball?

Hendrix was the one who fouled out before a dead ball was inbounded. Yes, he was the one prancing around on the sideline. Much worse than DC ever reacted last night. If DC was teched, then Hendrix definitely should have gotten one.

I had to watch the game on TV last night. I had to work until 5:30, so didn’t have time to get there. But I swear up and down that those refs heard me from my house. That crew was terrible. Yes, DC reacted to his fourth foul, who wouldn’t? But it was like that official had it in his mind that he was going to give him a T before he even made the original foul call.

Agreed with all the ref posts...I mean it's one thing to miss a few calls here and there, it happens. But, the display we saw last night belonged in a Leslie Nielsen parody.

Also, I'd also like to know what this "hook and hold" thing is...last night was the first I had seen that, I've heard it mentioned on the MVC board, but really have no idea what the call entails.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 am

It's not my habit to throw everyone under the bus but the nature of officiating in college BB now has become a joke.
The refs are insistent on stopping play, calling fouls whenever they want, enforcing the double dribble right before the media timeout is scheduled and only when it's useful.

They seem confused and spend wayyyyyyyy too much time reviewing their version of the 'flagrant' foul, a term that has me lost because falling on top of somebody doesn't merit 5 minutes of TV review to determine if the guy did it intentionally (the real definition of 'flagrant.')

Refs are lost in a maze of NCAA rules that are written by somebody who plays the sport in a fantasy league. As usual, all pigs are not equal. The 6-11 guy for Duke or Ky won't get 4 fouls in a month.

When I see a guy take 4 steps down the lane, knocks the defense into the 4th row and the announcer goes 'AND ONE, WHAT A PLAY!', that's just not officiating. That's professional wrestling management.

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:KJ..not sure what was up with him tonight but IMHO he needs to shoot in the paint or at the line only. The other team clearly felt he was our worst outside shooter the way they played off of him. He did make some good drives, free throws and passes and just needs to let the game come to him and be patient and keep working on his jump shot.

I agree. I feel more comfortable with him driving the lane and taking shots closer to the basket. I'm sure Coach will have him working on his shot and encouraging him to take them when open. Hopefully by tourney time, KJ is more confident and that outside shot drops.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 am

Very happy with the win last night. Walter and company continue to amaze me with what they are doing with a shortened and depleted roster.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:43 am

Tom, you need to watch some of the National networks that cover college basketball. They have been discussing the “hook and hold” rule being enforced this year since the first game was broadcast.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:45 am

JohnU wrote:They seem confused and spend wayyyyyyyy too much time reviewing their version of the 'flagrant' foul, a term that has me lost because falling on top of somebody doesn't merit 5 minutes of TV review to determine if the guy did it intentionally (the real definition of 'flagrant.')

Intentional was the original definition of "flagrant". But the NCAA rules committee removed "intent" from the definition several years ago. In part because every foul could arguably be intentional. e.g. guy reaches in at the top of the after being faked out on D is clearly intentional, but not flagrant.

The rules package could use some work. Especially annoying to me is the "principle of verticality" which seems to be extremely inconsistent. And as you reference, the video review needs to be reeled in.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 am

AcesHigh wrote:Tom, you need to watch some of the National networks that cover college basketball. They have been discussing the “hook and hold” rule being enforced this year since the first game was broadcast.

I guess so, I haven't watched many this year...been following the Pacers more this year and really have only watched UE games and a couple MVC ones. I had definitely heard the term but wasn't aware of the full meaning behind it. I looked it up and I know what it is now...if they called that consistently Reggie Miller would have never made it through a whole game in the NBA...lol. Just another item to muck up games for the officials to review every 5 minutes.
8-19 .....1986
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:47 am

pafan wrote:
JohnU wrote:They seem confused and spend wayyyyyyyy too much time reviewing their version of the 'flagrant' foul, a term that has me lost because falling on top of somebody doesn't merit 5 minutes of TV review to determine if the guy did it intentionally (the real definition of 'flagrant.')

Intentional was the original definition of "flagrant". But the NCAA rules committee removed "intent" from the definition several years ago. In part because every foul could arguably be intentional. e.g. guy reaches in at the top of the after being faked out on D is clearly intentional, but not flagrant.

The rules package could use some work. Especially annoying to me is the "principle of verticality" which seems to be extremely inconsistent. And as you reference, the video review needs to be reeled in.

I'm an NBA guy and I love the vertically rule. I hated watching college ball when a guy would drive the lane and jump into a defender and get 2 shots.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:47 am

https://soundcloud.com/jevin13/wyoming- ... highlights

Radio Highlights...crowd sounds great on the radio and Jevin does a great job!
8-19 .....1986
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA

scottpt99
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1987

Postby scottpt99 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:54 am

If the hook and hold rule had been around when Colt Ryan was here he would have had a "few" more fouls on him. He was very good at making it look like the other guy was grabbing him when Colt was the one holding.

Return to “The Aces”