Discussions of all the Aces sports
PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Cowboys game

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 am

evilleman wrote:
pafan wrote:
JohnU wrote:They seem confused and spend wayyyyyyyy too much time reviewing their version of the 'flagrant' foul, a term that has me lost because falling on top of somebody doesn't merit 5 minutes of TV review to determine if the guy did it intentionally (the real definition of 'flagrant.')

Intentional was the original definition of "flagrant". But the NCAA rules committee removed "intent" from the definition several years ago. In part because every foul could arguably be intentional. e.g. guy reaches in at the top of the after being faked out on D is clearly intentional, but not flagrant.

The rules package could use some work. Especially annoying to me is the "principle of verticality" which seems to be extremely inconsistent. And as you reference, the video review needs to be reeled in.

I'm an NBA guy and I love the vertically rule. I hated watching college ball when a guy would drive the lane and jump into a defender and get 2 shots.

On one of DC's so-called fouls he was standing with his arms straight above his head. He did not move them while the driver thrust himself into them. DC did what he was taught to do within the rules and paid the price for it. It seems that when you raise your arms straight above with feet planted on the floor all you are doing is giving the driver a beneficial target to aim at and an easier view for the ref to see that arms contacted arms. Considering how often fouls are called on this, maybe a better strategy is to quickly leap and swat if for no other reason than to give the refs less time to decide.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:32 am

I've watched way too many refs standing around the video screen in the last 2 minutes of a close game and conclude that the refs have taken the game away from the fans-coaches-players and given it to themselves. There is only so many things a team can talk about in the 5-minute enforced play stoppage. These are college players, not pros -- and pros don't endure this circus of authority.
At least they review the close-call on the 3-point shot without stopping the clock now.
But officials who can't call a game (there are 3 of them, fer gawd's sake) without having to break it down to 1,000,000 frames ... honestly, this is worse than MLB turning its umpiring over to "New York" to fix for them.
This rant has almost nothing to do with the game.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am

Just watched the replay of the game, and am even more impressed with the Aces performance than I was last night. This was a total team win. Givance, Hall, Newton, Noah, Hill, Shea, Evan, KJ, and Dainius (in the first half) all did their job in that second half to pull out the win. I realize that the Cowboys were not the best team that the Aces will play this year, and their second best player didn't play, but there have been Aces teams that would not have won that game. They were far from perfect, but a pleasure to watch.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Love the idea of using all scholarship players all through the game, I keep pinching myself is this really happening in Evansville with my Aces, this will pay big dividends in conference play. Shamar is fearless and kudos to coach Mcarty for letting these guys play through their struggles

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:52 pm

ncace wrote:I won't say it's the worst officiated game I've seen in the last couple of years, but the officials became the focus of several minutes of the game, and that's never a good thing. The foul called against DC, rather than in his favor, followed by the T against DC, allowed WY an undeserved chance to make up a lot of ground.

Ditto previous comments by others on Hall, Noah, Givance, and Newton. All have important roles, and you can SEE them growing. I loved the Aces' effort, yelled my head off, and came away feeling that we beat a decent team tonight. I realize it's a process, but these gritty players deserve all the support the city and UE students can give them to help make Ford a tough environment for our visitors.

+1000000

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:02 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I am sitting here dying in laughter as Randall Parmley on WEHT 25 repeatedly mispronounced Shimar Givance as GRIEVANCE on the highlight segment. Would someone get on him about this please as well as a few others they butcher. DC takes the brunt of it and that is okay as no sportscaster and 98% of the fans can't pronounce DCs last name correctly so we can give them a pass..but not with our new speedy, little point guard of the future please :lol: :lol:

Aces fans over the last twenty years may have a GRIEVANCE with how things have gone, but surely none of us should have one with Givance. :roll:

I thought I heard Parmley say grievance as well. I was going to tweet him but I thought discretion was better to give him the benefit of doubt. He isn't half the sports director that Lance was. Pathetic. Unfortunately I don't think Jevin holds a candle to Lance either. I know he has some acquaintances on this board so just one opinion.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:59 pm

acecard wrote:Just watched the replay of the game, and am even more impressed with the Aces performance than I was last night. This was a total team win. Givance, Hall, Newton, Noah, Hill, Shea, Evan, KJ, and Dainius (in the first half) all did their job in that second half to pull out the win. I realize that the Cowboys were not the best team that the Aces will play this year, and their second best player didn't play, but there have been Aces teams that would not have won that game. They were far from perfect, but a pleasure to watch.

I'm assuming you pay for ESPN+?

I couldn't go last night due to work commitments but was hoping to catch it on-line. I checked and it was still PPV.

I was hoping it would become free to replay, after about 12 hours or so. (That used to be how ESPN-U games were handled.) Doesn't look like that is the case.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:04 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:
acecard wrote:Just watched the replay of the game, and am even more impressed with the Aces performance than I was last night. This was a total team win. Givance, Hall, Newton, Noah, Hill, Shea, Evan, KJ, and Dainius (in the first half) all did their job in that second half to pull out the win. I realize that the Cowboys were not the best team that the Aces will play this year, and their second best player didn't play, but there have been Aces teams that would not have won that game. They were far from perfect, but a pleasure to watch.

I couldn't go last night due to work commitments but was hoping to catch it on-line. I checked and it was still PPV.

I was hoping it would become free to replay, after about 12 hours or so. (That used to be how ESPN-U games were handled.) Doesn't look like that is the case.

I haven't paid for ESPN+ yet either...was going to wait as long as possible. Do any of you guys know how long the replay for these games are up on ESPN+? I would like to re-watch the game (especially the 2nd half).
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
NumbersDontLie wrote:

I haven't paid for ESPN+ yet either...was going to wait as long as possible. Do any of you guys know how long the replay for these games are up on ESPN+? I would like to re-watch the game (especially the 2nd half).

It should be up for the entirety of the season. All of the games that are being shown are listed.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
NumbersDontLie wrote:

As of 5 p.m. CT, ESPN+ had the replay available. I've bought the subscription so I can't evaluate options.

Return to “The Aces”