Cowboys game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Cowboys game

Postby stennisrm72 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:58 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:
IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I am sitting here dying in laughter as Randall Parmley on WEHT 25 repeatedly mispronounced Shimar Givance as GRIEVANCE on the highlight segment. Would someone get on him about this please as well as a few others they butcher. DC takes the brunt of it and that is okay as no sportscaster and 98% of the fans can't pronounce DCs last name correctly so we can give them a pass..but not with our new speedy, little point guard of the future please :lol: :lol:

Aces fans over the last twenty years may have a GRIEVANCE with how things have gone, but surely none of us should have one with Givance. :roll:

I thought I heard Parmley say grievance as well. I was going to tweet him but I thought discretion was better to give him the benefit of doubt. He isn't half the sports director that Lance was. Pathetic. Unfortunately I don't think Jevin holds a candle to Lance either. I know he has some acquaintances on this board so just one opinion.

I tweeted him after reading this post.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:20 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:
IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I am sitting here dying in laughter as Randall Parmley on WEHT 25 repeatedly mispronounced Shimar Givance as GRIEVANCE on the highlight segment. Would someone get on him about this please as well as a few others they butcher. DC takes the brunt of it and that is okay as no sportscaster and 98% of the fans can't pronounce DCs last name correctly so we can give them a pass..but not with our new speedy, little point guard of the future please :lol: :lol:

Aces fans over the last twenty years may have a GRIEVANCE with how things have gone, but surely none of us should have one with Givance. :roll:

I thought I heard Parmley say grievance as well. I was going to tweet him but I thought discretion was better to give him the benefit of doubt. He isn't half the sports director that Lance was. Pathetic. Unfortunately I don't think Jevin holds a candle to Lance either. I know he has some acquaintances on this board so just one opinion.

I'm not that impressed with Jevin either. He's a bit too laid back for my taste. Give me Lance any day.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:
acecard wrote:Just watched the replay of the game, and am even more impressed with the Aces performance than I was last night. This was a total team win. Givance, Hall, Newton, Noah, Hill, Shea, Evan, KJ, and Dainius (in the first half) all did their job in that second half to pull out the win. I realize that the Cowboys were not the best team that the Aces will play this year, and their second best player didn't play, but there have been Aces teams that would not have won that game. They were far from perfect, but a pleasure to watch.

I'm assuming you pay for ESPN+?

I couldn't go last night due to work commitments but was hoping to catch it on-line. I checked and it was still PPV.

I was hoping it would become free to replay, after about 12 hours or so. (That used to be how ESPN-U games were handled.) Doesn't look like that is the case.

Come on guys, $5.00 a month!! I am under the impression that it stays up for 5-7 days, but am not sure about that. I am also under the impression that is goes to replay shortly after the game is over, but not sure about that either. I don't use replay very much, but sometimes will look at some of the MVC games. You can run the games ahead, and just look at the last few minutes, or just how much you want to.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:
stennisrm72 wrote:

I tweeted him after reading this post.

Thank you.

NGU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1989

Postby NGU » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Btm Line: $5 a month to see any and all MVC games at your leisure! Replays are in Full HD outstanding.
Where I sit at home games, when I go home the ESPN+ camera's are from the other side.
Sometimes what I watch during the game on review at home from a different angle I see where the calls are coming from.
Archived for months
are you a fan or not

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:05 pm

acecard wrote:
stennisrm72 wrote:

I'm not that impressed with Jevin either. He's a bit too laid back for my taste. Give me Lance any day.

Jevin is a bit too monotone and too laid back for me as well. We need some emotion even on the radio! There was nothing to get excited about the last 20 years but I feel there will be some real excitement sooner rather than later as in next year, year after and who knows. Lance was the best we have had in the last three, but hey lets give Jevin a chance and more time. He can work to improve if he wants to. He has some big names to follow over they years in broadcasting...as in Bates and Buck. Go Aces ! Get excited ! Get on board !

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Lance was the best.....I love a homer but with someone who gives credit when due. That was Lance!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
evilleman wrote:
pafan wrote:
Intentional was the original definition of "flagrant". But the NCAA rules committee removed "intent" from the definition several years ago. In part because every foul could arguably be intentional. e.g. guy reaches in at the top of the after being faked out on D is clearly intentional, but not flagrant.

The rules package could use some work. Especially annoying to me is the "principle of verticality" which seems to be extremely inconsistent. And as you reference, the video review needs to be reeled in.

I'm an NBA guy and I love the vertically rule. I hated watching college ball when a guy would drive the lane and jump into a defender and get 2 shots.

On one of DC's so-called fouls he was standing with his arms straight above his head. He did not move them while the driver thrust himself into them. DC did what he was taught to do within the rules and paid the price for it. It seems that when you raise your arms straight above with feet planted on the floor all you are doing is giving the driver a beneficial target to aim at and an easier view for the ref to see that arms contacted arms. Considering how often fouls are called on this, maybe a better strategy is to quickly leap and swat if for no other reason than to give the refs less time to decide.

Great win for the Aces....showed some serious testicular fortitude! DC, unfortunately, has a tendency to play like a bull in a fine dishes shop and that has to stop. He goes over the back on offense for no reason and has a bad habit of bringing his hands down when he contends a shot. When he got his technical....you could tell as soon as the ball got knocked away.....his eyes opened big, face turned red and nothing good was going to happen after that. Heard 2 couples talking on the way out of game saying how he needed to get his temper under control. There is a fine line between being aggressive and being a bull. Right now he is struggling with that line and it is not all the officials fault. For him to help us, long term, he has got to find a way to understand how the game is being called and adjust appropriately. Again, the officiating was pretty sad last night....but 3 of the fouls he deserved. And lately he has deserved a lot of them. When he goes out...our inside presence is almost none existent on both ends. We need him badly and we are going to have to have him on the floor to win the big games will be playing in the future.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:56 pm

I will be the dissenting voice here and cast my vote for Jevin. I think he's the best play by play guy UE has had since at least Adam Alexander. And don't be surprised if he gets more "big time" opportunities and leaves after a few seasons. Lance is a nice guy, have met him a few times when purchasing tickets at Carson Center and know he bleeds purple. But to me, he's a better fit for showing highlights on TV, than calling play by play.
Plus, he was a Marty apologist. Maybe he read message boards because he was very critical of Mislav, all the time, and had kid gloves on when it came to Blake. It was like he felt he had to defend his playing time. That's why the radio announcer should not also be a full-time employee at the university. It makes it near impossible to not defend the coach's moves, or ask any tough questions.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 pm

AcesChamps6571 wrote:I will be the dissenting voice here and cast my vote for Jevin. I think he's the best play by play guy UE has had since at least Adam Alexander. And don't be surprised if he gets more "big time" opportunities and leaves after a few seasons. Lance is a nice guy, have met him a few times when purchasing tickets at Carson Center and know he bleeds purple. But to me, he's a better fit for showing highlights on TV, than calling play by play.
Plus, he was a Marty apologist. Maybe he read message boards because he was very critical of Mislav, all the time, and had kid gloves on when it came to Blake. It was like he felt he had to defend his playing time. That's why the radio announcer should not also be a full-time employee at the university. It makes it near impossible to not defend the coach's moves, or ask any tough questions.

I agree with you, the reason being he sounds much more professional, it sounds like a D1 broadcast. To me, if someone is too much of a homer about calls and everything and is constantly screaming into the microphone it really devalues the broadcast and makes it sound much less professional. I like this style much better. The other most important thing is the ability to describe what is happening and I think he has done that very well. I value a professional sound and describing the action over everything else.

I understand the other points and opinions though, nothing wrong with some opposing view points at all, just my thoughts.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”