Cowboys game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Cowboys game

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:04 am

Walt Ferber,I'm hoping I got his name right,In my opinion was the worst.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:05 am

Tom Servo wrote:
AcesChamps6571 wrote:I will be the dissenting voice here and cast my vote for Jevin. I think he's the best play by play guy UE has had since at least Adam Alexander. And don't be surprised if he gets more "big time" opportunities and leaves after a few seasons. Lance is a nice guy, have met him a few times when purchasing tickets at Carson Center and know he bleeds purple. But to me, he's a better fit for showing highlights on TV, than calling play by play.
Plus, he was a Marty apologist. Maybe he read message boards because he was very critical of Mislav, all the time, and had kid gloves on when it came to Blake. It was like he felt he had to defend his playing time. That's why the radio announcer should not also be a full-time employee at the university. It makes it near impossible to not defend the coach's moves, or ask any tough questions.

I agree with you, the reason being he sounds much more professional, it sounds like a D1 broadcast. To me, if someone is too much of a homer about calls and everything and is constantly screaming into the microphone it really devalues the broadcast and makes it sound much less professional. I like this style much better. The other most important thing is the ability to describe what is happening and I think he has done that very well. I value a professional sound and describing the action over everything else.

I understand the other points and opinions though, nothing wrong with some opposing view points at all, just my thoughts.

Tom, I guess that's why we have two major political parties. Not everybody likes the same thing.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:17 am

:D
Tom Servo wrote:
AcesChamps6571 wrote:I will be the dissenting voice here and cast my vote for Jevin. I think he's the best play by play guy UE has had since at least Adam Alexander. And don't be surprised if he gets more "big time" opportunities and leaves after a few seasons. Lance is a nice guy, have met him a few times when purchasing tickets at Carson Center and know he bleeds purple. But to me, he's a better fit for showing highlights on TV, than calling play by play.
Plus, he was a Marty apologist. Maybe he read message boards because he was very critical of Mislav, all the time, and had kid gloves on when it came to Blake. It was like he felt he had to defend his playing time. That's why the radio announcer should not also be a full-time employee at the university. It makes it near impossible to not defend the coach's moves, or ask any tough questions.

I agree with you, the reason being he sounds much more professional, it sounds like a D1 broadcast. To me, if someone is too much of a homer about calls and everything and is constantly screaming into the microphone it really devalues the broadcast and makes it sound much less professional. I like this style much better. The other most important thing is the ability to describe what is happening and I think he has done that very well. I value a professional sound and describing the action over everything else.

I understand the other points and opinions though, nothing wrong with some opposing view points at all, just my thoughts.

Consumers do have different tastes. I haven't listened to a large number of D1 basketball broadcasts outside of our Aces. I just like broadcasters with some emotion. John Rooney, Mike Shannon, Harry Carey, Jack Buck, Bob (?) Carpenter (see you later!). I had forgotten about Adam Alexander. I enjoyed his work as well. One other name was Larry Calton. He tried too hard to be like Harry Carey but he was decent.

Bottom line I want a homer. Lol

Acescott
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acescott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 am

Enjoying all the comments about the radio play by play. Lance reminded me of how I would do games. Unable to keep emotions out of it. There were times when Lance would announce a call made based on what he saw instead of waiting for the call confirmation. Jumped the gun. Jevin Is very professional but could loosen up a little. He sounds like a 40 year old veteran announcer, but in early 20s I think. He has a bright future. There was a play Walt Ferber described couple years ago that was hilarious. He got a bit flustered and said ' there's so much going on out there it's kind of hard to describe.' He seemed like a nice guy.

Acescott
Ford Center Regular

Postby Acescott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:34 am

Does anyone recall Larry Calton getting a technical foul called on him? You could hear him on the broadcast yelling stuff like 'give us a break' at refs and complaining about officiating on air, and they T'd him up. Could hear ref on radio explaining call to scorer's table. Calton just kept saying 'unbelievable!' as free throws were being shot.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 am

acecard wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:

Tom, I guess that's why we have two major political parties. Not everybody likes the same thing.

Exactly!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:53 am

Acescott wrote:Does anyone recall Larry Calton getting a technical foul called on him? You could hear him on the broadcast yelling stuff like 'give us a break' at refs and complaining about officiating on air, and they T'd him up. Could hear ref on radio explaining call to scorer's table. Calton just kept saying 'unbelievable!' as free throws were being shot.

Who is Larry Calton? Bob Buck got a technical called him. IMO, Bob was the best broadcaster. Homer all the way and he and Crews had a great rapport.

Acescott
Ford Center Regular

Postby Acescott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 am

Larry Calton, if memory serves, did the Aces and Triplets baseball games following Marv Bates. So the Dick Walters years.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 am

acecard wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:

Agreed. We all like some of the same things, and lots of other things we see differently.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Acescott beat me to it.
Larry Calton came to Evansville in 1978 and took the Triplets job that had been done by Marv Bates. He then also called Aces and high school games.
In December, 1981, in the championship game of Pepperdine's holiday tournament, the Malibu Classic, he got T'd up for evidently critizing the officiating on air loud enough for some ref with rabbit ears to hear. When it was called, I remember being mad that the refs were trying to aid the home team.
Billy Packer later critizized Calton during a CBS telecast, saying that an announcer should not inject himself into the game. You'd think broadcasters would have each other's back.
Fortunately, the Aces won anyway and brought the championship trophy home, making it two straight years they beat the Waves to win a tournament.
The year before, UE put it on them at the Stadium to win the Evansville holiday tournament.

Return to “The Aces”