Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Albion @ Aces Game Thread

Postby pafan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Saturday at 1pm at Ford Center

Television/Streaming: ESPN3 (included with most cable packages)
Radio: WJPS 107.1, WROY 92.1 (Carmi), WAOV 97.7 (Vincennes)

One final D2 opponent for the year, a game when the Aces have the opportunity to have a winning record for the first time this season.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Re: Albion @ Aces Game Thread

Postby Aceup13 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Albion is D3 actually. Will be a boring game and a disgusting turnout. Waste of a game

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Aceup13 wrote:Albion is D3 actually. Will be a boring game and a disgusting turnout. Waste of a game

Yes, Albion is DIII, and probably a pretty good one. Game should be of the same caliber as Ky. Wesleyan. I imagine Walter had to take what he could to fill out this year. Probably won't see this kind of game in years to come. As we know DIII players can compete in DI, just ask Shea.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Aceup13 wrote:Albion is D3 actually. Will be a boring game and a disgusting turnout. Waste of a game

I don't think it will be a disgusting turnout. It will exceed last year's average and will exceed the similar game with Oakland City last year which drew a paltry 3200. I doubt that we'll have any games this year below 4000 unless there is a major weather event. As for boring, from what I've seen so far, McCarty-led games are not boring. By contrast, no matter the opponent, a Simmons game, even a well-played one, was a snoozer in its predictability. And I don't think it will be a waste of a game. A game like this is an opportunity to try out a new wrinkle in the offense and to give Newton, Givance and Chestnut additional confidence buliding minutes. Also, a lesson can be learned to treat every opponent as if they can beat you because without a full effort, they can. I'd rather we didn't play DIII teams but I will never skip one. I look forward to any and all Aces games. This one is no different.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Horse shit game :o :o :o

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:17 pm

acecard wrote:

Yes, Albion is DIII, and probably a pretty good one. Game should be of the same caliber as Ky. Wesleyan. I imagine Walter had to take what he could to fill out this year. Probably won't see this kind of game in years to come. As we know DIII players can compete in DI, just ask Shea.

I don't think these games will go away. They are good for the smaller schools and keep the narrative going. They can also use the $2,500. If you don't get Albion, you get Hanover or Wabash or Earlham. I think they are sort of interesting to watch.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 pm

muni cup14 wrote:Horse shit game :o :o :o

We plucked our current leading scorer from one of these beneath-us schools.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:53 pm

This game COUNTS. Albion is a GOOD D3 team, with some Detroit-area kids who may have chips on their shoulders, so we shouldn't sell them short. Good teams get caught in trap games. Ask Nova about Furman or S Carolina about Wofford. That's why they keep score.

Hopefully fans who DON'T choose to attend have donated their tics to a youth orgs that can bring kids to see our Aces. If we blow out Albion, so be it, but By winning we go to 4-3, and I think Walter is taking this game seriously. It's important to follow up the WY game with another win....a CONVINCING one. Albion is 4-1. You think, for a minute they wouldn't LOVE to kick a D1 team in the teeth?

I think Matt Arends, AD at Albion worked for/with Spencer at Oregon St. For 2-3 years. That might be even more incentive for our visitors. This may not be a waltz in the park.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:

I don't think it will be a disgusting turnout. It will exceed last year's average and will exceed the similar game with Oakland City last year which drew a paltry 3200. I doubt that we'll have any games this year below 4000 unless there is a major weather event. As for boring, from what I've seen so far, McCarty-led games are not boring. By contrast, no matter the opponent, a Simmons game, even a well-played one, was a snoozer in its predictability. And I don't think it will be a waste of a game. A game like this is an opportunity to try out a new wrinkle in the offense and to give Newton, Givance and Chestnut additional confidence buliding minutes. Also, a lesson can be learned to treat every opponent as if they can beat you because without a full effort, they can. I'd rather we didn't play DIII teams but I will never skip one. I look forward to any and all Aces games. This one is no different.

+1
Get on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 am

Yes they might be a good D3 team,shoot a lot of 3's.Still
a horse shit game,but I'll be there.

Return to “The Aces”