Albion @ Aces Game Thread

Discussions of all the Aces sports
IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Albion @ Aces Game Thread

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Poor effort, no question. My hope this is the last time we EVER play a DIII team or even a DII team for that matter. I know they had trouble scheduling late this spring according to Walter so maybe we won't have to see it anymore. The effort matched the level of competition. We were lucky we did not get beat. This kind of effort in Valley play will result in a loss every time.

Lets just move on and hope for better this week as we have one on the road and a rematch at home vs Ball State which is a very good team. To beat them here we will need a monumental effort and have to play the best game of the year.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:Poor effort, no question. My hope this is the last time we EVER play a DIII team or even a DII team for that matter. I know they had trouble scheduling late this spring according to Walter so maybe we won't have to see it anymore. The effort matched the level of competition. We were lucky we did not get beat. This kind of effort in Valley play will result in a loss every time.

I can be pretty sure the D-3 teams won't go away. Everybody plays them and the D-3 schools look forward to the chance. There's no win in it for the Aces but it's good, overall, for the sport, IMO. The D-3 teams need recruiting tools as well.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 pm

We’ve been on the flip side of this coin. We want to play P-5 schools but they are only interested in a home game for them and a check for us. Play a couple of D-2, D-3 as needed and move on to the next game.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:35 pm

I will say this you live by the 3 you be die by be the three, made 3 point baskets cover a lot of mistakes, Positives I take from this line up change to start 2nd half, that's something we haven't seen in a long time while. We are not this bad, I just think there were several factors that went into our poor performance, the biggest one was taking Albion lightly, we need a killers mindset.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Before anyone takes a razor blade and opens up a wrist vein, the Aces were 2-0 this week. Not only did they win their first ever Mountain West Challenge game which featured a potential 1st Round lottery pick, they also beat a good DIII team after not scoring for the first 7 minutes and still coasted to a win which never felt like a nail-biter after the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. McCarty hasn't lost a game in the Ford Center and now has a winning record overall. It's a long season. Pace yourself.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:I will say this you live by the 3 you be die by be the three, made 3 point baskets cover a lot of mistakes, Positives I take from this line up change to start 2nd half, that's something we haven't seen in a long time while. We are not this bad, I just think there were several factors that went into our poor performance, the biggest one was taking Albion lightly, we need a killers mindset.

Agree, definitely the killer instinct part.

One thing I will add, I really want to see John Hall and Kuhlman get down on the block when they are guarded by a small guy. Both have some ability to do that. Also want to see both of them fill lanes on the fast break and go straight to the basket like they have done some this year. When they’ve done it they’ve had good results. I think we can get some easy buckets doing that. Just some thoughts.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:10 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:Poor effort, no question. My hope this is the last time we EVER play a DIII team or even a DII team for that matter. I know they had trouble scheduling late this spring according to Walter so maybe we won't have to see it anymore. The effort matched the level of competition. We were lucky we did not get beat. This kind of effort in Valley play will result in a loss every time.

Lets just move on and hope for better this week as we have one on the road and a rematch at home vs Ball State which is a very good team. To beat them here we will need a monumental effort and have to play the best game of the year.

This is the same effort and level of emotion we have come out with the too many times this year. Have to start better. Someone said it was our first Big West win...wrong...we beat Fresno St and Boise St.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm

CoachD88 wrote:

This is the same effort and level of emotion we have come out with the too many times this year. Have to start better. Someone said it was our first Big West win...wrong...we beat Fresno St and Boise St.

Yep we beat Fresno St in 2015 at their place in California and we beat Boise St the following year at home in an exciting finish.

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:21 am

My wife is a Murray State grad and a Kentucky girl (BBN fan). She did not enjoy going to Aces games in the past because she did not like the style one iota. Because we live in Kentucky and are 2 hours away, we don't always make the Aces games, especially during the weeknights. I attended the Texas Southern game, and then we attended the NM Highlands game and today's game together. My wife had these stinging observations that I thought I'd share ...

1. Today's performance reminded her of watching the Marty Aces.
2. The Hebron Hoppers kept her attention more than the 1st half Aces performance.
3. The highlight of the game for her was watching the UE guy in the student section singing "Sweet Caroline" on the video board.

Needless to say, the Aces were sluggish and that created a dead atmosphere today. I heard it was really raucous at the last game vs. Wyoming. I guess I expected that the Aces would come out energetic today and showcase their obvious talents. I sure was wrong (with the only exception being DC .. I thought he showed a lot of improvement!) I understand it may be hard to "get up" for a game like this, but if you are playing in front of a nice sized home crowd who came to see you, it looks like that would be enough incentive to play well!

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:50 am

CoachD88 wrote:

You missed another opportunity to correct me. The Wyoming player who stuck a 34/20 on us is projected to be "simply" a first round NBA pick, not a lottery pick. Btw, the main point of my post is that the Aces finished the week 2-0. I'll take that outcome for the rest of the season no matter how or who we play.

Return to “The Aces”