Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Albion @ Aces Game Thread

Postby acecard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:
IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:Poor effort, no question. My hope this is the last time we EVER play a DIII team or even a DII team for that matter. I know they had trouble scheduling late this spring according to Walter so maybe we won't have to see it anymore. The effort matched the level of competition. We were lucky we did not get beat. This kind of effort in Valley play will result in a loss every time.

Lets just move on and hope for better this week as we have one on the road and a rematch at home vs Ball State which is a very good team. To beat them here we will need a monumental effort and have to play the best game of the year.

This is the same effort and level of emotion we have come out with the too many times this year. Have to start better. Someone said it was our first Big West win...wrong...we beat Fresno St and Boise St.

You missed another opportunity to correct me. The Wyoming player who stuck a 34/20 on us is projected to be "simply" a first round NBA pick, not a lottery pick. Btw, the main point of my post is that the Aces finished the week 2-0. I'll take that outcome for the rest of the season no matter how or who we play.

The only problem with that is if we play like we did against Albion for the rest of the year we won't win a game.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 am

Here’s what I saw.

A team that never saw Albion as a threat, and played accordingly.
A D3 team that knew their only chance was 3 pointers, “they could only scored 13 otherwise”.

Take the “W” and move on.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 pm

acecard wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:
This is the same effort and level of emotion we have come out with the too many times this year. Have to start better. Someone said it was our first Big West win...wrong...we beat Fresno St and Boise St.

You missed another opportunity to correct me. The Wyoming player who stuck a 34/20 on us is projected to be "simply" a first round NBA pick, not a lottery pick. Btw, the main point of my post is that the Aces finished the week 2-0. I'll take that outcome for the rest of the season no matter how or who we play.

The only problem with that is if we play like we did against Albion for the rest of the year we won't win a game.

Probably true and there is a .00000000001% chance of that happening. We won and now we have a winning record. Going forward, the Aces on average will perform somewhere between the Xavier game and the Albion game. And along the way, an opponent will perform the way we did against Albion and we'll snag a victory we didn't expect. That's how seasons go. What we need now is a road win, you can't have a winning season without them. So it's on to Jonesboro where the bad guys will be trying to avenge a loss last year at the Ford Center. I don't expect an Albion effort from either team.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
acecard wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

Probably true and there is a .00000000001% chance of that happening. We won and now we have a winning record. Going forward, the Aces on average will perform somewhere between the Xavier game and the Albion game. And along the way, an opponent will perform the way we did against Albion and we'll snag a victory we didn't expect. That's how seasons go. What we need now is a road win, you can't have a winning season without them. So it's on to Jonesboro where the bad guys will be trying to avenge a loss last year at the Ford Center. I don't expect an Albion effort from either team.

Yes, you are correct. Winning a road game is the Aces next big hurdle. From looking at Ark. schedule, and results, I think it is a game they CAN win. The question is, WILL they. The ability to win road games is one of the biggest aspects of a successful team.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:43 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
acecard wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

Completely agree....sorry wasn't trying to be a know it all "PurpleWhisker" was just floored by what I watched and amazed we did win twice this week. Unfortunately....We cannot continue to come out sluggish against teams game after game and expect the other team to shoot as poorly as some of our opponents have so far. This next game is very important on many fronts. I just hope we find a way to kick start things better. Of course, there will be ups and downs during....but these slow starts will get us in serious trouble in big games and especially road games.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 pm

CoachD88 wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
acecard wrote:The only problem with that is if we play like we did against Albion for the rest of the year we won't win a game.

Completely agree....sorry wasn't trying to be a know it all "PurpleWhisker" was just floored by what I watched and amazed we did win twice this week. Unfortunately....We cannot continue to come out sluggish against teams game after game and expect the other team to shoot as poorly as some of our opponents have so far. This next game is very important on many fronts. I just hope we find a way to kick start things better. Of course, there will be ups and downs during....but these slow starts will get us in serious trouble in big games and especially road games.

Agree with both of these points, and based on Coach's postgame comments, he also would agree 100%.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces Aces
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces Aces » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

Agree with both of these points, and based on Coach's postgame comments, he also would agree 100%.

I expect to see a different starting lineup for Arkansas St.....

Return to “The Aces”