Evansville at Arkansas State 11/4 at 7 pm

Discussions of all the Aces sports
kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Re: Evansville at Arkansas State 11/4 at 7 pm

Postby kyace1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm

I am not disappointed with where we are... it is going to be a hard, long year. This would have been the case even if John Wooden was coaching... people who cannot see a limited team are not watching the court. I am a believer the McCarty hire will be a great move... good next year, really good thereafter... it is a process. But right now, we have what we have and I for one enjoy the different opinions of this board, critical or supportive. It would be an even longer season without the PAF.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:17 pm

acecard wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:All of us on the PAF have watched or been around enough basketball...be it grade school, high school, college or otherwise, to know good basketball when we see it. You don't have to have a ton of talent to play sound and fundamental basketball. I worry as I don't see a lot of that right now. I will state again...we are not talking about kids who have never picked up a basketball or played in an organized game before. As I have been told...I may be beating a dead horse...but I don't see us rebound like we should, move our feet on defense like we should, play smart when in foul trouble, know when to pass instead of dribble and recognize game situations like we should. Again, this has nothing to do with talent or even size. At this level of competition and coaching aside, these things should all be second nature to our players. No, some on the PAF may not have roamed the sidelines...while others of us might. We all just want to see an Aces basketball product we can be happy with watching and enjoy supporting. Right now...that is a little tough...new coach, new system or not.

Nail on the head.

Thank you....I know some or most...think I am a basher of the Aces. This is the furthest from the truth. I simply enjoy watching and seeing good basketball. We may be young, we may be inexperienced and we may have growing pains due to the change in coach....but we should know how to play the game of basketball.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am

CoachD88 wrote:
acecard wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:All of us on the PAF have watched or been around enough basketball...be it grade school, high school, college or otherwise, to know good basketball when we see it. You don't have to have a ton of talent to play sound and fundamental basketball. I worry as I don't see a lot of that right now. I will state again...we are not talking about kids who have never picked up a basketball or played in an organized game before. As I have been told...I may be beating a dead horse...but I don't see us rebound like we should, move our feet on defense like we should, play smart when in foul trouble, know when to pass instead of dribble and recognize game situations like we should. Again, this has nothing to do with talent or even size. At this level of competition and coaching aside, these things should all be second nature to our players. No, some on the PAF may not have roamed the sidelines...while others of us might. We all just want to see an Aces basketball product we can be happy with watching and enjoy supporting. Right now...that is a little tough...new coach, new system or not.

Nail on the head.

Thank you....I know some or most...think I am a basher of the Aces. This is the furthest from the truth. I simply enjoy watching and seeing good basketball. We may be young, we may be inexperienced and we may have growing pains due to the change in coach....but we should know how to play the game of basketball.

Well...every team we play is made up of young men who have been playing basketball since they could lift one. In that regard it's a level playing field. You may dismiss it but history shows that in nearly every case freshman play like freshman and seniors play like seniors even though each and every one of them "knows" how to play basketball from the first day on campus. That is why they were recruited. Knowing and doing in real time are two different things. Be patient. This isn't a team full of one and dones.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:11 am

Exactly; If you're playing D1 basketball you've had a ball in your hands since you were old enough to walk. And the fact is there are about 200 D1 teams that are playing worse than UE. Anyone that's been around the game should know individual talent is only one factor. There are 5 guys on the floor. Experience with the multiple combinations on the floor at any given time comes with time. Momentum comes with confidence. You saw that in both the Wyoming and Ark. St. game. Once for us, once against us. Simplifying "these guys ought to know how to play" doesn't cut it. This team is short handed, under sized, and was only thrown together a few months ago. Fact is if we simply hit 36% from 3 vs 26%, momentum would have switched and this thread would be hip hip hooray! Eight games in and there's whining, I don't get it!

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:31 am

The impact of this season is manifold. It's about building an overall athletics program. The men's basketball team is being asked to lead the way. That's difficult -- McCarty needs at least a year to see what he has, and if the guys he has can play the way he wants to play. If he's smart, he adapts. The players adapt as they can. But you can't ask a guy to be taller or quicker. You can ask him to work at his game but you can't fix the player's natural skills.
Complicated to be sure, but there are differences in talent in any walk of life, sports mainly because we notice that. Every kid on scholarship plays a lot of ball. Personally, I shot more baskets as a kid than anybody on the planet -- and I got cut from the sophomore team. You can't teach talent. You can improve your skills. Some golfers can shoot 80 once in awhile. The pros shoot 70 every time.
In summary, I'd just enjoy the transition into the future. When Walt's first recruiting class comes in, you can measure it against other programs. Right now, the Aces are just on the schedule for the teams they play. Just 'on the schedule.'
It's also important to realize (we all do) that Walt's job is also to build community and sponsor interest in the program. Part of that comes down to the type of players he wants, what the university will expect and what the fans will support. If you just want all-stars wearing purple, keep waiting. Unlike Kentucky, or should I say, the Calipari All-Stars, U of E will expect its kids to go to school. That isn't about talent; it's about character and we should all insist on that.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:06 am

Will say this. Did not watch or listen to the game, and since stats were a dead zone on the ESPN app, all I could do was watch the score change. I’ll say that at one point, I saw the Aces down by 15, then cut it to 9, but could never quite get over the humpat that point. So, it got me thinking a little bit.

What if the returning players have hit a brick wall, and we just haven’t realized it? Someone mentioned earlier that conditioning probably isn’t what it could be because the guys didn’t have an entire offseason of conditioning. Probably true, considering those player, for the most part, are averaging double the minutes they got last season in a system that is twice as fast.

Also, I guess I am one of those “unrealists” since I picke UE to finish 6th, but last time I checked, this game only counted as one loss. I’m not throwing myself off a cliff over it. I knew games like this would happen. But, the rest of the Valley isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire either. I like where we are. I see good things coming.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:20 am

Ad1770 wrote:Will say this. Did not watch or listen to the game, and since stats were a dead zone on the ESPN app, all I could do was watch the score change. I’ll say that at one point, I saw the Aces down by 15, then cut it to 9, but could never quite get over the humpat that point. So, it got me thinking a little bit.

What if the returning players have hit a brick wall, and we just haven’t realized it? Someone mentioned earlier that conditioning probably isn’t what it could be because the guys didn’t have an entire offseason of conditioning. Probably true, considering those player, for the most part, are averaging double the minutes they got last season in a system that is twice as fast.

Also, I guess I am one of those “unrealists” since I picke UE to finish 6th, but last time I checked, this game only counted as one loss. I’m not throwing myself off a cliff over it. I knew games like this would happen. But, the rest of the Valley isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire either. I like where we are. I see good things coming.

I'd say there is probably a lot of truth in this (the conditioning).

And, no, you certainly aren't who I was referring to in my post anyway, you definitely know basketball.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:15 am

JohnU wrote: The players adapt as they can. But you can't ask a guy to be taller or quicker. You can ask him to work at his game but you can't fix the player's natural skills.

John you are the most down to earth, realistic, poster this forum has seen. I like what you say. I played golf for more than 60 years, and was a bogey golfer in every sense of the word. Broke 80 a couple times on Hamilton's Blue course, but that was it. Everywhere else 80-90-100. I finally figured out that I got what I deserved because I wasn't good enough. Same way with basketball players, some are "blue chippers", and some are not. Until the Aces get more "blue chippers", they are going to struggle.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
What if the returning players have hit a brick wall, and we just haven’t realized it? Someone mentioned earlier that conditioning probably isn’t what it could be because the guys didn’t have an entire offseason of conditioning.

More than anything, I think it's that teams depending on the 3-ball are prone to lots of long runs when they don't score. When that happens, the defense gets back on its heels. A couple of 3-balls by their guys, a couple of tap-ins and free throws ... you're down 2, then down 13, then back up to 5 ... college game isn't for the weak-hearted fan. You can blow a 20-point lead in 4 minutes even if you manage the clock, all 28 seconds of it.

I don't know if players take time off from conditioning. Most of them are on weights by the time they're 13 now.

All the same, the faster pace and reliance on the 3-ball is always going to make it interesting.

Return to “The Aces”