Evansville at Arkansas State 11/4 at 7 pm

Discussions of all the Aces sports
GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Evansville at Arkansas State 11/4 at 7 pm

Postby GoAcesgo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Take heart Aces fans we are having some growing pains, we fought until the last horn. In other news Valpo loses at home to High Point.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Not much I can add to this mess. You can't allow a team to score almost 90 points on their home floor, and expect to win. As a matter of fact, you can't allow your opponent to score almost 90 points , and expect to win anywhere. Until the Aces can hold teams to 70 points or less, they are going to win very few games. It's going to be a long year without a doubt, but we knew that, and what could make it palatable would be if we can see improvement in their play, win or lose, but they seem to be going in the opposite way at the moment. The way it looks, all we can do is wait till next year.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:34 pm

Another "wait till net year" season....seem to be regressing, not good! Anyone have any answers as to why we are not improving? Just doesn't seem to make sense....I don't see much spirit out there, shows in lack of defense and in focused , confident shooting - how many lay-ups did we miss tonight! Coach said in post-game interview that he was pleased with our offense....I sure didn't think much of it - fast breaks down the floor just to miss a lay-up don't help much...just another turnover of the basketball!

McCarty said we have to improve on defense or we will not win games....I didn't view the game, just listened to the radio broadcast...sounded like the Red Wolves drove the basket at will, also made a lot of 3's - we didn't do much to stop them.

Math proves difficult when your subtraction way outnumbers your addition. I realize that we have no lights-out shooters like we have had in the past, and that hurts offensively...but to me defense (including rebounding) is more of a want-to effort - and that lack of defense is concerning to me.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm

8 games in and some fans act like we have made a mistake in hiring a new coach, maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but come on man, it's a long season where is the learning curve, give them a break, This year is a crapshoot, I think we are going to be disappointed some nights and proud others, tonight we are disappointed maybe in the next 2 weeks we will be proud after a win.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 am

I followed the stats last night.Seems like we didn't shoot the ball well from the outside in the 1st half.2nd half we were driving to the basket more but were not finishing.Defense definitely has to improve.It will be a
looooooong year on the road.But then again we didn't win many road games with Marty

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acepurple71 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:30 am

GoAcesgo wrote:8 games in and some fans act like we have made a mistake in hiring a new coach, maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but come on man, it's a long season where is the learning curve, give them a break, This year is a crapshoot, I think we are going to be disappointed some nights and proud others, tonight we are disappointed maybe in the next 2 weeks we will be proud after a win.

Many are fair weather fans. They got what they wanted in a new coach and think we are able to get top 100 recruits immediately. Walter and his staff are doing fine. They are modeling the grow in the Butler and Gonzaga why. Knock off the whining.

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 am

Acepurple71 wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:8 games in and some fans act like we have made a mistake in hiring a new coach, maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but come on man, it's a long season where is the learning curve, give them a break, This year is a crapshoot, I think we are going to be disappointed some nights and proud others, tonight we are disappointed maybe in the next 2 weeks we will be proud after a win.

Many are fair weather fans. They got what they wanted in a new coach and think we are able to get top 100 recruits immediately. Walter and his staff are doing fine. They are modeling the grow in the Butler and Gonzaga why. Knock off the whining.

Yyyuuuuupp!

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 am

sect.3purple wrote:Another "wait till net year" season....seem to be regressing, not good! Anyone have any answers as to why we are not improving? Just doesn't seem to make sense....I don't see much spirit out there, shows in lack of defense and in focused , confident shooting - how many lay-ups did we miss tonight!

I didn't watch the game due to the pay-per-view nature. I did listen to Jevin. In general, I think the Aces have looked worse recently because:

1. I think Walter has realized the players really aren't conditioned for the sort of game Walter wants to run. So they have backed down somewhat on the pace.

2. Opposing coaches now have several games worth of tape to try and exploit the Aces weaknesses and explicitly defend their strengths. For example, I think we all knew the Aces would struggle rebounding the ball, because of their lack of size. And the stats bear that out:

In wins, the Aces rebound 84% of their opponent's misses.
    In losses, the Aces rebound 61% of their opponent's misses.

And the Aces' offensive rebounding is the worst in D1, around 18% (which did not vary meaningfully based on game outcome)
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:38 am

Not into criticism, these guys are trying. No way that kids like Feehan, Hall and Riley want to lose. That said, we can't hit 26% from 3 and win. We can't get outrebounded by 11 consistently and win, and we cannot total approx. 10 rebounds by Evan, DC and Hall, COMBINED and win.

I listened to the game last night, but didn't see it. I saw both the WY and Albion games, and my impression is that a court leader, or leaders, has yet to emerge....a go-to guy, or guys, who can pull this team together. Yes, they are young, and we are doing what we can, given Walter's time limitations. I'm willing to be patient and wait til next year, but we've got to let it go a bit. Guys looked a little tight in the two I saw last week, and they shouldn't be. They have nothing to lose, and when they can relax a bit, I think we'll see some improvement. I'm also not giving up on road games. We're going to win 3 or 4, maybe more if we can get untracked. Hope we have a supportive, vocal Ford this weekend.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 am

Acepurple71 wrote:

I gotta agree as well, I can definitely understand the whining the last couple years, it was definitely warranted. But guys, some of you need a reality check. We have to remember what a difficult situation this is. This team really has very little to no D1 experience! Feehan is probably the most experienced guy out there. This is really Hill's first year, Hall played behind "the legend" last year, and really Frederking and Kuhlman did too. This is the way college basketball works, probably 85% of the time (maybe more) teams with a new coach really struggle in the first year for a multitude of reasons, especially one that only has 9 players! That's reality. Anything this team does this year is a major bonus and we should enjoy it but prepare yourself for more of this. Hopefully they continue to get better and continue to perform well at home. Sunday's game will be a very tough one, so let's show up to the FC and try to make the best environment we can for the guys.

What I hope to see is a really invigorated effort Sunday and maybe they might surprise a lot of us.

And pafan is definitely right, teams have seen the tapes and they know the weaknesses and they are going to exploit them. Until DC and Evan learn not to foul every 5 seconds the other team is going to attack them at will. They are also going to go hard after the offensive glass to attack us.

I should add, this is only directed at very few posters on here. Most understand the situation and understand what kind of team this is so please don't take this the wrong way if you are in the latter group as most of you are.

I'll add one more example of a new coach struggling in year 1 in addition to the Crews example. I'll put his records below here. I'll see if anyone can figure out who it is.

07-08 .....11–20.....4–14 9th MVC
08–09......17–17.... 8–10 T–5th CBI Second Round
09–10......25–10.... 12–6 2nd NIT First Round
10–11......29–8...... 14–4 2nd NIT Champion
11–12......27–6...... 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
12–13......30–9....... 12–6 2nd NCAA Division I Final Four
13–14......35–1....... 18–0 1st NCAA Division I Round of 32
14–15......30–5....... 17–1 1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
15–16..... 26–9....... 16–2 1st NCAA Division I Round of 32
16–17......31–5........ 17–1 T–1st NCAA Division I Round of 32
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”