Evansville at Arkansas State 11/4 at 7 pm

Discussions of all the Aces sports
aceslifer
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1956

Re: Evansville at Arkansas State 11/4 at 7 pm

Postby aceslifer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 am

too many critics that really don't understand the game at all. too many negative responses to what they hear on the radio broadcast, which is never entirely accurate in the description of the play on the floor. too many mini-coaches you think they are the know-all of the game, too many hurtful criticisms toward the young collegiate athletes competing, finally, some really STUPID responses by some really STUPID people....

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 am

I read back over some of the posts from April and it occurred to me that some fans who post here were overtly giddy that a new coach would somehow wipe out 10 years of frustration with one or two press conferences. McCarty didn't take this job because it was already in "Gonzaga mode." He took it to build his own program, make his own statement. He wasn't given chicken salad last summer.

Even the big Becker kid didn't seem like a program maker to me, but he's at least 6-8. He's also not on the roster. A couple of other guys aren't either.

I won't say I am indifferent to this year's record but if they win a few games, I can say, that's nice. I just hope they avoid being the butt of the SportsCenter joke some night like they were against Duke.

It's the team I expected to see. There will be improvement but I think it's important to remember that building an offense around Feehan and an inside game with DC is alien to common sense. Shea will score 18 and DC will get 5 rebounds. And .....? Neither gets his number hung in the rafters.

It takes awhile to build a roster. Just when you have one, you have to change it.

I recall watching Bradley suffer with a glorified junior college roster. That was brutal. Where are they in 2 years?

I'd like the Aces to sustain a competitive D-1 middie program but it's tough in the Midwest. Hell, two of their main competitors for talent are both only 2 hours drive from Evansville. And both are in the Valley.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 am

aceslifer wrote:too many critics that really don't understand the game at all. too many negative responses to what they hear on the radio broadcast, which is never entirely accurate in the description of the play on the floor. too many mini-coaches you think they are the know-all of the game, too many hurtful criticisms toward the young collegiate athletes competing, finally, some really STUPID responses by some really STUPID people....

Having an opinion isn't a bad thing. You just expressed one.

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 am

I didn't get to follow the game last night. I checked in here earlier to see what everyone's thoughts were about the game. Enjoyed reading all the posts.

I'm a long time Aces fan. I always will be. When the first Aces messageboard was available, I joined. I've been a member for years now. A lot of you have been too. I usually post how I feel when watching an Aces game. Some games I can be pretty critical. Other games I may be cheering them on because of their play. It's game by game for me. Regardless, I'm going to be here wanting the best for the Aces. That's the bottom line. I'll always be on board. I think everyone here is.

Go Aces!
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:30 am

I watched the game. The team played ok and would have won if six missed layups, 5-foot shots and uncontested dunks would have been made. These are shots that D-1 players don’t miss often. It was just one of those nights that things didn’t go their way. We had plenty of open threes, they just didn’t fall and several were “air balls”.

However, if they continue to shoot this poorly and the refs dictate how we play defense with their whistles wins will be hard to come by. We as fans need to step back and let the coaches coach, players play and let the team develop. Everyone will win in the long run.

youngacesfan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:28 am

Some of the expectations on this board are way too high considering three of the best if not the best players on the team are currently on the bench

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:28 am

Tom Servo wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:8 games in and some fans act like we have made a mistake in hiring a new coach, maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but come on man, it's a long season where is the learning curve, give them a break, This year is a crapshoot, I think we are going to be disappointed some nights and proud others, tonight we are disappointed maybe in the next 2 weeks we will be proud after a win.

Many are fair weather fans. They got what they wanted in a new coach and think we are able to get top 100 recruits immediately. Walter and his staff are doing fine. They are modeling the grow in the Butler and Gonzaga why. Knock off the whining.

I gotta agree as well, I can definitely understand the whining the last couple years, it was definitely warranted. But guys, some of you need a reality check. We have to remember what a difficult situation this is. This team really has very little to no D1 experience! Feehan is probably the most experienced guy out there. This is really Hill's first year, Hall played behind "the legend" last year, and really Frederking and Kuhlman did too. This is the way college basketball works, probably 85% of the time (maybe more) teams with a new coach really struggle in the first year for a multitude of reasons, especially one that only has 9 players! That's reality. Anything this team does this year is a major bonus and we should enjoy it but prepare yourself for more of this. Hopefully they continue to get better and continue to perform well at home. Sunday's game will be a very tough one, so let's show up to the FC and try to make the best environment we can for the guys.

What I hope to see is a really invigorated effort Sunday and maybe they might surprise a lot of us.

And pafan is definitely right, teams have seen the tapes and they know the weaknesses and they are going to exploit them. Until DC and Evan learn not to foul every 5 seconds the other team is going to attack them at will. They are also going to go hard after the offensive glass to attack us.

I should add, this is only directed at very few posters on here. Most understand the situation and understand what kind of team this is so please don't take this the wrong way if you are in the latter group as most of you are.

I'll add one more example of a new coach struggling in year 1 in addition to the Crews example. I'll put his records below here. I'll see if anyone can figure out who it is.

Well said Tom. I too am somewhat shocked at the frustrations some are posting. I will take going 0 for the rest of the season if that is what it took to get us the changes we have.

Our best three players, and Walters first recruits are sitting on the bench. We are playing the back ups on the 8th place team in the Valley last year. These kids are busting their rears, and have represented better than I had anticipated. Again, these were the back ups to Blake and company, playing under a completely different style a year ago.

If you want to be ticked about where the program is this year, direct your anger towards the bitter former coach, who did everything in his power to drag players out the door with him...succeeding with the two best players from that 8th place team. I am damn grateful for the kids who stayed, despite all of Marty's efforts to get them to bail, and stuck it out this year. They have stepped up tremendously, and anything they pull off is just gravy for the years ahead. We finally have a bright future. Enjoy this!

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am

E-Villan wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:
Many are fair weather fans. They got what they wanted in a new coach and think we are able to get top 100 recruits immediately. Walter and his staff are doing fine. They are modeling the grow in the Butler and Gonzaga why. Knock off the whining.

I gotta agree as well, I can definitely understand the whining the last couple years, it was definitely warranted. But guys, some of you need a reality check. We have to remember what a difficult situation this is. This team really has very little to no D1 experience! Feehan is probably the most experienced guy out there. This is really Hill's first year, Hall played behind "the legend" last year, and really Frederking and Kuhlman did too. This is the way college basketball works, probably 85% of the time (maybe more) teams with a new coach really struggle in the first year for a multitude of reasons, especially one that only has 9 players! That's reality. Anything this team does this year is a major bonus and we should enjoy it but prepare yourself for more of this. Hopefully they continue to get better and continue to perform well at home. Sunday's game will be a very tough one, so let's show up to the FC and try to make the best environment we can for the guys.

What I hope to see is a really invigorated effort Sunday and maybe they might surprise a lot of us.

And pafan is definitely right, teams have seen the tapes and they know the weaknesses and they are going to exploit them. Until DC and Evan learn not to foul every 5 seconds the other team is going to attack them at will. They are also going to go hard after the offensive glass to attack us.

I should add, this is only directed at very few posters on here. Most understand the situation and understand what kind of team this is so please don't take this the wrong way if you are in the latter group as most of you are.

I'll add one more example of a new coach struggling in year 1 in addition to the Crews example. I'll put his records below here. I'll see if anyone can figure out who it is.

Well said Tom. I too am somewhat shocked at the frustrations some are posting. I will take going 0 for the rest of the season if that is what it took to get us the changes we have.

Our best three players, and Walters first recruits are sitting on the bench. We are playing the back ups on the 8th place team in the Valley last year. These kids are busting their rears, and have represented better than I had anticipated. Again, these were the back ups to Blake and company, playing under a completely different style a year ago.

If you want to be ticked about where the program is this year, direct your anger towards the bitter former coach, who did everything in his power to drag players out the door with him...succeeding with the two best players from that 8th place team. I am damn grateful for the kids who stayed, despite all of Marty's efforts to get them to bail, and stuck it out this year. They have stepped up tremendously, and anything they pull off is just gravy for the years ahead. We finally have a bright future. Enjoy this!

Agree with all this, Mcarty is playing with house money, any upsets or quality wins we can pull off is icing on the cake.

Aces Aces
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces Aces » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:

+100% E-Villan

JohnU
Ford Center Regular

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm

We need to stop beating up on ourselves because we have comments about a team that likely will lose 20 games this year. The world doesn't end.

I think it's important to not equate criticism with vitriol. There isn't anything wrong with commenting, pro or con, about how a team plays.
It's what fans do. My complaints aren't specific to this team, which I've seen 3 or 4 times on TV feeds. I don't know any of these guys or the people in the program. If y'all say they are nice people, committed, high-energy with morals and ethics, I believe you. If this isn't a good team, then it's not a good team. If it's good and doesn't play that way, it's fair to opine about that.

If somebody here wants to criticize the basketball team, don't swat them down by pretending to be some kind of kindergarten teacher scolding one of the children for having a poor attitude.

Seriously, these guys are young adults. You are not going to hurt their feelings.

But I also think criticism ought to come with at least a passing insight as to the who/what/why of the program. I think all of us are at that point.

Return to “The Aces”