Game Thread: Aces at Miami (Ohio)

Discussions of all the Aces sports
COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Re: Game Thread: Aces at Miami (Ohio)

Postby COUTEAU » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:36 am

I think Coach summed it up pretty good in his post game comments.
I'll paraphrase...."not tough enough"....."too many second chance points"......"rebounding"......"not enough effort plays"...."too much to over come at any level"....
I interpret those comments as, "Miami, just wanted it more".
They protected their house.
ACES need that same attitude.

Those first thirteen, meant notta.
It all starts on Tuesday

go aces
I'm on Board!

:shockue: :shockue: :razzdu: :shockue: :shockue:

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:02 am

letsgoAces wrote:
JohnU wrote:Folks, what you are watching is a .500 team. They will win half the time, lose half the time, drop 4 in a row, win 4 straight, botch another, pull one out of their apparatus and that will be nothing but growth. This outfit can go 9-9 in the Valley or 6-12 or 8-10 ... either way, that's what we have and I can live with it. I had much much lower expectations in November.

Completely agree.

Compared to what I thought it would be, I have to agree also. I think we can all agree that they have far exceeded our expectations so far this year. As has been said many times they are going to win some games they shouldn't, and lose some games they shouldn't, which has already happened. My prediction is still that they will be a Thursday team, but they won't finish last. I just wonder what kind of record we would have had if we had Ryan Taylor, and Dru Smith on this team. Oh well, if I had wings, I could fly.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:34 am

acecard wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
JohnU wrote:Folks, what you are watching is a .500 team. They will win half the time, lose half the time, drop 4 in a row, win 4 straight, botch another, pull one out of their apparatus and that will be nothing but growth. This outfit can go 9-9 in the Valley or 6-12 or 8-10 ... either way, that's what we have and I can live with it. I had much much lower expectations in November.

Completely agree.

Compared to what I thought it would be, I have to agree also. I think we can all agree that they have far exceeded our expectations so far this year. As has been said many times they are going to win some games they shouldn't, and lose some games they shouldn't, which has already happened. My prediction is still that they will be a Thursday team, but they won't finish last. I just wonder what kind of record we would have had if we had Ryan Taylor, and Dru Smith on this team. Oh well, if I had wings, I could fly.

Agreed. This kind of result would have been heralded before the season. I think we get frustrated when we look at how a few more made shots would have resulted in wins at Murray, Miami, home against Jacksonville, and even possibly Xavier. We could also look at a few more missed shots and we would have had more losses.

Last year, Marty finished 8th with these players backing up Taylor, Dru and even Blake. If these guys can finish 7th or better, win one more conference game and even get a win in St. Louis, then we should consider this season a success. With the improvement we have seen the current coaching staff make with these guys, then that shouldn't be an unrealistic goal. Now, as a fan, I say let's win this damn league.

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:57 am

E-Villan wrote:
Last year, Marty finished 8th with these players backing up Taylor, Dru and even Blake. If these guys can finish 7th or better, win one more conference game and even get a win in St. Louis, then we should consider this season a success. With the improvement we have seen the current coaching staff make with these guys, then that shouldn't be an unrealistic goal. Now, as a fan, I say let's win this damn league.

:shockue:
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:39 pm

In looking at the pre-conference outcome over the 13 games and the quality or lack thereof in The Valley this year I feel we can go anywhere from 6-12 to 10-8. I realize I am not sticking my neck out much with such a wide range but I feel it is really wide open. I think it's going to come down to a number of games where it is down to the last possession or two. We have not won a road game so to finish .500 in conference play we have to win a few on the road. We failed to win the close games on the road so far...X, Murray State and Miami. To win the close games we really need Evan and Noah to hit the open shots. We know they will be all over Shea. They will play off Riley and to some degree Hall. So, Noah and Evan and even Marty Hill need to make the 3s as they will be the guys who will likely have some of the more open looks. Other key to me is DC. He has to be on the floor and stay out of foul trouble. We need him to help open up shots on offense and his rebounding and post defense. The MVC games are often low scoring, a lot of banging in the paint and the teams with no production in the post are always a few buckets behind the teams that do have the inside presence.

Happy New Year to all Aces fans.

Go Aces !

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote: The MVC games are often low scoring, a lot of banging in the paint and the teams with no production in the post are always a few buckets behind the teams that do have the inside presence.

Happy New Year to all Aces fans.

Go Aces !

And the inside game is the weakest part of the Aces game.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm

I'm hopeful that DC will begin to play more, and more meaningful minutes as we enter the MVC. With our limited bench, Evan just has to be tougher if he's on the court. It's not his nature, but it's what we need. There will be several games like Murray and Miami in the MVC this year. We need to value our possessions more, especially in the last 4 minutes of these games, then we need the confidence to convert when we make stops. The home opener against Drake will tell us if we've learned anything in the pre-conf.

Return to “The Aces”