Game Thread: Aces at Miami (Ohio)

Discussions of all the Aces sports
GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Game Thread: Aces at Miami (Ohio)

Postby GoAcesgo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm

sect.3purple wrote:Evan and Noah brought nothing to this game....were much better shooting the 3 last year, and that one skill they brought is missing now, so they should not be in the game. They both played slow and weak against a team that we could have defeated . DC actually looked much better today than in earlier games. I thought we played horribly the 2nd half....you could just see another L coming. Feehan seems to be taking a back seat to Evan and Noah, and I think that the team needs to be finding him as his threes fall more often than theirs. Missed free throws would have made the difference in this game if we had made them, also. Just plain ole crappy offense from about everyone on the team except for Riley's drives to the basket! Very disappointing to lose a game that was ours for the taking!

I agree we should have won this game but disagree with some of your analysis. Noah is actually shooting a higher percentage from 3 this year and will add against a tougher schedule. What do you mean about Feehan taking a back seat to Evan and Noah?? Can you help me with this?

lawrencevgibson
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby lawrencevgibson » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm

AcesHigh wrote:All of Evan’s shots are coming up short and it’s been that way for some time. He’s not getting his legs into them or he needs to make some adjustments. Maybe he should give up the 3s and move inside the line for a while. He’s becoming a liability on the court.

I agree with the liability.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 pm

acesfan27 wrote:If we are going to win any road games this year Evan and Noah need to step up or we will lose every time or dang well near it noah didn’t even attempt a shot this game was ours and we screwed it up!

Evan only took 3 shots also, and of course made none. Those of you picking the Aces to win road games are ignoring the obvious. Too young, too inexperienced, not athletic enough. They will have to win all of their MVC home games just to to finish at .500.

On second thought, they MAY not lose all their MVC road games, but they ain't gonna win all their home games either.

JohnU
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Winnable game against a beatable team. No real concerns other than Riley holds onto the ball too much.
DC is playing much better now. These guys aren't as bad as they look at times.

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:32 pm

acecard wrote:
acesfan27 wrote:If we are going to win any road games this year Evan and Noah need to step up or we will lose every time or dang well near it noah didn’t even attempt a shot this game was ours and we screwed it up!

Evan only took 3 shots also, and of course made none. Those of you picking the Aces to win road games are ignoring the obvious. Too young, too inexperienced, not athletic enough. They will have to win all of their MVC home games just to to finish at .500.

On second thought, they MAY not lose all their MVC road games, but they ain't gonna win all their home games either.

I know that and I’m also tired of hearing we’re too you young not talented enough excuses we’re two months into basketball I think we’re more experienced now we simply do not have that killer instinct presence to keep a lead and make the tough plays to hold on we need all the guys that want to play hard in when it’s crunch time as someone said DC and Shamar need to be in there late.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 pm

It looks to me (and I am no coach-just an ardent fan) that Feehan gets fewer passes at points from which he can shoot the 3. I realize that he gets a lot of attention from the defense because of his long-range shooting skills, but it seems like Evan is targeted with passes for the 3. I feel like our coach is doing this to give Evan the confidence to get back on track with his shooting...but, that's just my guess. Evan seems weak...shots are short, that take-away rebound that could have given us the opportunity to win the game with a score on our end.....I don't know what that signifies...lack of strength training or a lack of confidence ????

I am not picking on those two....but I do believe that their play - or lack of it - cost us this game, especially when we had guys on the bench who were playing better. Now, I am sure there will be other games when just the opposite will happen, and I hope both guys keep improving and their shots start falling and theyplay stronger. I just don't think the right players were utilized at critical points in this game.

youngacesfan
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:03 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:Evan and Noah brought nothing to this game....were much better shooting the 3 last year, and that one skill they brought is missing now, so they should not be in the game. They both played slow and weak against a team that we could have defeated . DC actually looked much better today than in earlier games. I thought we played horribly the 2nd half....you could just see another L coming. Feehan seems to be taking a back seat to Evan and Noah, and I think that the team needs to be finding him as his threes fall more often than theirs. Missed free throws would have made the difference in this game if we had made them, also. Just plain ole crappy offense from about everyone on the team except for Riley's drives to the basket! Very disappointing to lose a game that was ours for the taking!

I agree we should have won this game but disagree with some of your analysis. Noah is actually shooting a higher percentage from 3 this year and will add against a tougher schedule. What do you mean about Feehan taking a back seat to Evan and Noah?? Can you help me with this?

Noah doesn't shoot the ball. If he isn't making threes then he isn't bringing anything to the table.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Still not understanding. Is Noah and Evan shooting to much, taking shots away from Feehan or what?? Noah didn't attempt a shot and Evan took 3 shots, I am lost. I can think of about 10 plays with several different players that were not smart plays that equaled up to a disappointing underachieving loss, that's my take.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:44 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:Still not understanding. Is Noah and Evan shooting to much, taking shots away from Feehan or what?? Noah didn't attempt a shot and Evan took 3 shots, I am lost. I can think of about 10 plays with several different players that were not smart plays that equaled up to a disappointing underachieving loss, that's my take.

I agree that the team overall didn't achieve their potential and looked weak in failing that effort...missed free throws, missed bunnies, questionable ball handling, and horrible rebounding....all correctable, and oh-so-frustrating to watch...way too many "what'ifs" in this game!

No, not shooting too much....Noah didn't even try a shot...Evan just came up short on everything...looked weak..just like when he surrendered that rebound that we desperately needed at the end of the game. It's not that they are taking too many shots; it's that when they are out there as offensive threats, they need to be making shots. The guys on the bench whose places they are taking certainly are losing scoring possibilities....seems to me that our offense during this slump by Evan and Noah should rely more, and work toward, Feehan. Also, DC was a positive force today, rebounding and scoring inside when he received good passes....just thought we needed him on the floor late in the game. Another concern I have is a lack of killer instinct in many players...just playing too soft, especially in close games at the end...we need to get a LOT tougher and play like we WANT to win!!!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:13 pm

The only real mistake that I saw was not having DC in at the end. I understand what he is wanting to do, but Kuhlman is going to have to snap out of it. McCarty is trying to build his confidence, hopefully in the long run it will pay off, but he did hurt us today, there's no way around it. He knows Kuhlman is a vital part of this offense working because he needs a perimeter threat at that spot.

Frederking never was really out there enough to do anything, picked up quick fouls and never even attempted a shot. I agree with Goacesgo..he'll be good and he's already had some big moments this year. I'm not that worried about him.

Riley made some big plays, but he does over dribble and he gets caught up in the air too much.

Overall, it's disappointing to lose, but at least we are close. Clean a few things up and there will be wins in MVC play. It's much better than trouncing though a crap schedule at home and getting nothing out of it, or getting blown out by 20 every night. Given what is available this year 6-7, against this schedule really isn't bad at all. I honestly expected much worse. MVC play will be interesting.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”