Game Thread: Aces at Miami (Ohio)

Discussions of all the Aces sports
GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Game Thread: Aces at Miami (Ohio)

Postby GoAcesgo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Tom Servo wrote:The only real mistake that I saw was not having DC in at the end. I understand what he is wanting to do, but Kuhlman is going to have to snap out of it. McCarty is trying to build his confidence, hopefully in the long run it will pay off, but he did hurt us today, there's no way around it. He knows Kuhlman is a vital part of this offense working because he needs a perimeter threat at that spot.

Frederking never was really out there enough to do anything, picked up quick fouls and never even attempted a shot. I agree with Goacesgo..he'll be good and he's already had some big moments this year. I'm not that worried about him.

Riley made some big plays, but he does over dribble and he gets caught up in the air too much.

Overall, it's disappointing to lose, but at least we are close. Clean a few things up and there will be wins in MVC play. It's much better than trouncing though a crap schedule at home and getting nothing out of it, or getting blown out by 20 every night. Given what is available this year 6-7, against this schedule really isn't bad at all. I honestly expected much worse. MVC play will be interesting.

The only reasons I think D.C. is not in the game at the are 1. I think Kuhlman roaming around the 3 point line opens up the middle for Riley to drive to the basket easier which did result in most of are points down the stretch it, opened the middle. 2. Kuhlman is a better passer and free throw shooter than D.C.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Noah's contribution was completely eliminated today with those two weak fouls in the first minute of his time on the floor. Hard to overcome the burden of sitting that long and expect to get into the rhythm of the game. Evan needs to step into his shot like the team practices in pregame rather than go straight up and hit the front of the rim.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:35 pm

We shoot a higher % FG and 3pt., but give them 14 more possessions on rebounds. We may actually need to see DC, Evan, & Hall on the floor together for extended periods if we want to win even one road game this year. I also think we need to take 10 more 3s than our opponents from here out. 30% from 3 is equally as productive as 45% from two. "Let em fly", with our rebounding, possessions are hard to come by.

But let me add; I'm 2 years away from ever questioning this coaching staff..... GO ACES!

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:44 pm

It has been stated that we do not have the killer instinct; spot on. We have had games where we exhibit toughness, but not consistently.
We had better talent than the Miami team we played today. Just a little better, but enough better that we should have won. I'm not sure I buy the lack of experience angle.

You cannot prevail with just one "go to" guy. Everyone has to show up for every game. As a result, we have losses against Ball St.-away, Ark. St.-away, Jax St.-home, and now Miami-away, all of which could have been wins. I'm not giving up on this team. We know the facts: we are thin, and we have several guys playing out of position. Most of the guys are not used to being leaders at this level. I suspect that a couple of them who ARE leaders feel more pressure than they might if they were on a deeper, more talented team.

Walter's challenge, from here forward, is to keep the guys looking up. The MVC sked is a gauntlet, and we have tough matchups right off the bat. One game at a time, adjust, get tougher, play to win, rather than playing "not to lose". This was a very tough loss. Hopefully we learn and adjust. We have enough talent to win some MVC games. Our opponents will not play their best every time out, and we need to be tough enough to take them out when we have a chance.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:The only real mistake that I saw was not having DC in at the end. I understand what he is wanting to do, but Kuhlman is going to have to snap out of it. McCarty is trying to build his confidence, hopefully in the long run it will pay off, but he did hurt us today, there's no way around it. He knows Kuhlman is a vital part of this offense working because he needs a perimeter threat at that spot.

Frederking never was really out there enough to do anything, picked up quick fouls and never even attempted a shot. I agree with Goacesgo..he'll be good and he's already had some big moments this year. I'm not that worried about him.

Riley made some big plays, but he does over dribble and he gets caught up in the air too much.

Overall, it's disappointing to lose, but at least we are close. Clean a few things up and there will be wins in MVC play. It's much better than trouncing though a crap schedule at home and getting nothing out of it, or getting blown out by 20 every night. Given what is available this year 6-7, against this schedule really isn't bad at all. I honestly expected much worse. MVC play will be interesting.

The only reasons I think D.C. is not in the game at the are 1. I think Kuhlman roaming around the 3 point line opens up the middle for Riley to drive to the basket easier which did result in most of are points down the stretch it, opened the middle. 2. Kuhlman is a better passer and free throw shooter than D.C.

Completely agree...that was what I thought too. I'm just hoping he can deliver on those jump shots. I think he just has a major confidence issue. I'm sure McCarty wouldn't have him out there if he wasn't producing in practice.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 am

Few thoughts,we looked like the Aces of old on the road.A lot of
dribbling and standing around.We are a better team with Shamar
or Jawaun on the floor,not Marty Hill.
And finally,Makhi Lahri, from Evansville, had a really solid game today.
Good job Makhi.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:10 am

muni cup14 wrote:Few thoughts,we looked like the Aces of old on the road.A lot of
dribbling and standing around.We are a better team with Shamar
or Jawaun on the floor,not Marty Hill.
And finally,Makhi Lahri, from Evansville, had a really solid game today.
Good job Makhi.

Lahri did have a really good game...it's a real shame McCarty wasn't the coach at the time he was being recruiting...I think we could have had him. He certainly had no desire to play the stand and dribble PG for Simmons.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:18 am

These close games for the Aces this season will not be close next year.

JohnU
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:05 am

Folks, what you are watching is a .500 team. They will win half the time, lose half the time, drop 4 in a row, win 4 straight, botch another, pull one out of their apparatus and that will be nothing but growth. This outfit can go 9-9 in the Valley or 6-12 or 8-10 ... either way, that's what we have and I can live with it. I had much much lower expectations in November.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:47 am

JohnU wrote:Folks, what you are watching is a .500 team. They will win half the time, lose half the time, drop 4 in a row, win 4 straight, botch another, pull one out of their apparatus and that will be nothing but growth. This outfit can go 9-9 in the Valley or 6-12 or 8-10 ... either way, that's what we have and I can live with it. I had much much lower expectations in November.

Completely agree.

Return to “The Aces”