Re: Game Thread: Drake at Evansville

Postby Atlanta Ace » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Let's get this McCarty Party started.

Ace78
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Although some moments in the game were frustrating to watch, it was an overall GREAT game and a HUGE win for the Aces! The biggest surprise for me has been the Aces defense! They frustrated a very good Drake offense. I know that the accolades are justifiable for KJ and Marty, but I think Danius was a difference maker for us last night! He blocked a couple of shots, altered several others, kept Drake's big guys in foul trouble, and made some great post moves to score. That flagrant foul was a cheap call against him. And as others have said, it is a total shame that Marty Hill is only with us for this year.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:21 pm

I thought, besides of a few spectacular plays by some players (on both teams) it was some of the most brutal game to watch, that I've attended in a while.
There was 116 points scored in 40 minutes & 43 tallied in 10, of OT.
I'm tickled pink.....err I mean purple, The ACES showed the grit and desire to pull it out. But, I was never confident of a victory, until about 2:00 remaining in second overtime, when Marty dropped his final three.

Feel bad for the Norton kid.
He's quite the player.
theDRAKE, was up 5-6, when he went down. He had half dozen points and rebounds in about 15 mins. Hard to know, if he would have made any difference?

Love the Orange.
Nice crowd.
But, felt it was rather tame, until Marty's steal, break away one hander, and plus one. I see where it (dunk) made SportCenter.
Well done #1
Then after half time was kinda quiet again, until closing moments of regulation. Thought the atmosphere during both OTs was electric. Need to bottle that vibe and pass it out to everyone as shotz, when entering The FC against the ramblers next week.

Good to be an ACES fan and onboard The McCarty Express.
On to Normal!

side note......anyone know what happened curb side, on Main Street side last night.
Was quite the array of police and gathering of people. We didn't approach, but heard someone saying, "there was a lot of blood", at the corner as we walked towards car.

go aces
I'm on Board!

youngacesfan
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Stats may not show it but givance had another good game. Super tough kid

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Givance was great last night, really showed some grit. Came back in OT with two plugs up his nose to stop a nosebleed and did a heck of a job. He's clearly the most capable at the PG spot for this group. Riley is very effective at working the drives off of the wings or around the basket. He gets uncomfortable when he has to handle the offense from up top. Luckily that's where Givance is so good.

Thought we got great minutes from Evan and DC...they combined for 20 pts and double digit rebounds. If we can get Evan to shoot the ball with confidence he can be a player. Same for Noah.

Hall was big down the stretch too, him and DC made a ton of plays around the basket to either alter or block shots during our run in the 2nd half.

Great win!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Givance was great last night, really showed some grit. Came back in OT with two plugs up his nose to stop a nosebleed and did a heck of a job. He's clearly the most capable at the PG spot for this group. Riley is very effective at working the drives off of the wings or around the basket. He gets uncomfortable when he has to handle the offense from up top. Luckily that's where Givance is so good.

Thought we got great minutes from Evan and DC...they combined for 20 pts and double digit rebounds. If we can get Evan to shoot the ball with confidence he can be a player. Same for Noah.

Hall was big down the stretch too, him and DC made a ton of plays around the basket to either alter or block shots during our run in the 2nd half.

Great win!

Givance's defense the last 30 of regulation should not be overlooked. He single handedly messed up their offense for the last shot. Who knows what would of happened if he wasn't such a pest.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:38 pm

This team has morphed it self totally from the first 6 games or so. By design? It's almost as if Walter sent out his kids at the beginning and said shoot early, shoot fast, shoot from anywhere. All players gravitate towards offense. Now that they know who can do what they are dialing up pure gritty defense. They know there'll be somebody that can get points. I like it!

Yes Givance is a treat to watch, wish they'd get him a pair of shoes that fit.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Like many other excited fans I got home to log onto the site and it crashed. I figured it was overwhelmed with excited Aces fans following the big win in a great, hard fought, typical MVC battle. Good to get the W at home, we must protect the home court.

I thought the comment someone made on this site saying "disappointing crowd of 5,503" which I laughed about because over the last few years we would have been happy to see 5,000 for a week night game, now we are disappointed. Boy, what a difference ten months makes ! I agree on being disappointed, I was hopeful for 6,000. Maybe after this nice win we can get to 6,000 next game.

My take on the game. DC must be in the game. He is the only "true 5" we have and he simply makes a difference on both ends. He rebounds the ball better, he plays better post defense, he can block shots and he made his four free throws. Evan cannot guard a 5 as he is not strong or tough enough. They went right at him every chance they had. They also went right at Hall because his defense inside was poor as he got beat a number of times and did not see the ball. Some of our guys had very good games (Hill, Riley, Givance and DC) and others had poor games (Feehan, Hall, Frederking). Our guys made enough team plays and enough toughness to get this one out. Either team could have won this game and we were fortunate to pull it out.

Again, the key guys are Evan and Noah. We need them to make shots, play D and rebound tor us to win more conference games than we lose.
I felt bad for Shea. He works his tail off, got no shots to fall, had very few open looks. If he is not scoring, he has to sit because defensively they will go right at him as they did several times last night. We need to find ways in our offense to get him more open looks because he is our best outside shooter.

Go Aces ! 1-0

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Well, I didn't think that the Aces could win that game, but they proved me wrong, and that was the most satisfying game of the year. My players of the game were John Hall, and Dainius. Hall had the steal, and monstrous dunk to save the first half, and then those two 3's in OT really put the hurt on the Bulldogs. As Bleed said Danius probably played the best game of his career. Really played terrific defense on McGlynn, and rebounded as well as I have seen him. Givance, and KJ also played huge roles in the victory. Drake fans seem to think that Drake might have won that game if Norton hadn't gotten hurt, and they might be right, but that's something that we will never know. They will get a chance to prove that when we play again in Des Moines. That's assuming that Norton will be back by then. This, in my opinion, is the most over achieving Aces team that I can remember seeing, so who knows how this is going to play out. Except for Loyola, the upper half of the MVC is up for grabs.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:23 pm

acecard wrote:Well, I didn't think that the Aces could win that game, but they proved me wrong, and that was the most satisfying game of the year. My players of the game were John Hall, and Dainius. Hall had the steal, and monstrous dunk to save the first half, and then those two 3's in OT really put the hurt on the Bulldogs. As Bleed said Danius probably played the best game of his career. Really played terrific defense on McGlynn, and rebounded as well as I have seen him. Givance, and KJ also played huge roles in the victory. Drake fans seem to think that Drake might have won that game if Norton hadn't gotten hurt, and they might be right, but that's something that we will never know. They will get a chance to prove that when we play again in Des Moines. That's assuming that Norton will be back by then. This, in my opinion, is the most over achieving Aces team that I can remember seeing, so who knows how this is going to play out. Except for Loyola, the upper half of the MVC is up for grabs.

Not to be picky but Marty Hill made the 3s in and before OT, not John Hall. Hill also had the monster dunk that made top ten (again) ESPN plays of the day.

Return to “The Aces”