Game Thread: Drake at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Thread: Drake at Evansville

Postby acecard » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:
acecard wrote:Well, I didn't think that the Aces could win that game, but they proved me wrong, and that was the most satisfying game of the year. My players of the game were John Hall, and Dainius. Hall had the steal, and monstrous dunk to save the first half, and then those two 3's in OT really put the hurt on the Bulldogs. As Bleed said Danius probably played the best game of his career. Really played terrific defense on McGlynn, and rebounded as well as I have seen him. Givance, and KJ also played huge roles in the victory. Drake fans seem to think that Drake might have won that game if Norton hadn't gotten hurt, and they might be right, but that's something that we will never know. They will get a chance to prove that when we play again in Des Moines. That's assuming that Norton will be back by then. This, in my opinion, is the most over achieving Aces team that I can remember seeing, so who knows how this is going to play out. Except for Loyola, the upper half of the MVC is up for grabs.

Not to be picky but Marty Hill made the 3s in and before OT, not John Hall. Hill also had the monster dunk that made top ten (again) ESPN plays of the day.

Yes, you are correct. I seem to have trouble mixing them up.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 pm

When we add great shooting to our great defense we will be a very dangerous team...I thought DC had his best game, blocking shots and altering opponent's shots, and putting the ball in the basket with more focus/accuracy. Givance's play makes me forget all about Dru (who was my favorite player from last year's team)....I have great expectation that he will steal the ball when we need it, and that he will break pressure and bring that ball down the floor in a blur. Hill looks like he will be a big-time scorer. Riley puts a lot of points on the board with his drives and free throws. Now, when Shea, Evan, and Noah start draining those 3's we are going to be scary!

Thought that, even though shots weren't falling, that we played tough last night....like we really WANTED that victory and were willing to fight for it.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 am

100%
Leadership from Riley and Hill
DC playing quality minutes
Givance is confident on the ball and with it in his hands. He could have gone ANYWHERE if he was 6-2.
Hall has been given rebounding as #1 priority. Needs to improve def. and clarify offensive role, but great attitude.

The next 3 games will be VERY interesting. Play them one at a time. I don't think Walter will allow these kids to dwell on negatives, nor will he let them get ahead of themselves as result of a good win. Learn, adjust, and move on. Gotta love the effort and grit we saw vs. Drake

MdEspenlaub
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1965

Postby MdEspenlaub » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:02 am

NEWS FLASH- 6'10 Soph Peace Illegomah , a Transfer from Pittsburg, has signed with the Aces. Due to lack of minutes played, he supposedly will be able to play at the start of next season. I think he is gonna help big time !!

MdEspenlaub
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1965

Postby MdEspenlaub » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:08 am

Now I see that the Peace news was already out. Sorry.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:00 am

MdEspenlaub wrote:Now I see that the Peace news was already out. Sorry.

Post it as many times as you wish to. It is great news. I don’t mind hearing it repeatedly.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:05 am

MdEspenlaub wrote:NEWS FLASH- 6'10 Soph Peace Illegomah , a Transfer from Pittsburg, has signed with the Aces. Due to lack of minutes played, he supposedly will be able to play at the start of next season. I think he is gonna help big time !!

Great news!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am

Tom Servo wrote:
MdEspenlaub wrote:NEWS FLASH- 6'10 Soph Peace Illegomah , a Transfer from Pittsburg, has signed with the Aces. Due to lack of minutes played, he supposedly will be able to play at the start of next season. I think he is gonna help big time !!

Great news!

OK! Sounds great to me.

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:29 am

https://twitter.com/TommyBirch/status/1081220234898333696

According to this tweet... Nick Norton's season has ended.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:34 am

Atlanta Ace wrote:Nick Norton's season has ended.

And his collegiate career. This was his fifth season of eligibility.

BTW, that's a writer for the Des Moines Register. Not one of those hooligans on Twitter who were supposedly "breaking stories" around the MLB winter meetings last month. :roll:
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “The Aces”