Game Thread: Drake at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Game Thread: Drake at Evansville

Postby Acepurple71 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:36 am

sect.3purple wrote:When we add great shooting to our great defense we will be a very dangerous team...I thought DC had his best game, blocking shots and altering opponent's shots, and putting the ball in the basket with more focus/accuracy. Givance's play makes me forget all about Dru (who was my favorite player from last year's team)....I have great expectation that he will steal the ball when we need it, and that he will break pressure and bring that ball down the floor in a blur. Hill looks like he will be a big-time scorer. Riley puts a lot of points on the board with his drives and free throws. Now, when Shea, Evan, and Noah start draining those 3's we are going to be scary!

Thought that, even though shots weren't falling, that we played tough last night....like we really WANTED that victory and were willing to fight for it.

DRU WHO?

JohnU
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am

I don't follow Drake enough to evaluate Nick Norton but no program in the Valley can sustain the loss of one of its top 5 or 6 players and adapt easily. There simply is not enough depth on anybody's bench for that. Tough break for Norton and Drake, might cost them some post-season exposure as well.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:53 am

Feel terrible for Norton and the whole Drake program and fan base. That's no way for someone's career to end, very sad. Is there any way he can petition to get another year?
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 am

Tom Servo wrote:Feel terrible for Norton and the whole Drake program and fan base. That's no way for someone's career to end, very sad. Is there any way he can petition to get another year?

UrbyJT over at Drakenation posted that Nick has played too many games this season to get another year.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 am

Tom Servo wrote:Feel terrible for Norton and the whole Drake program and fan base. That's no way for someone's career to end, very sad. Is there any way he can petition to get another year?

I don’t see it. He should be a 5th year Senior after transferring from UAB and to many games have expired this year. I would say he’s done. Too bad because I really liked watching that kid play. He was the kind I like seeing in a UE uniform.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 am

I didn't see what or how it happened.
But, from where we were sitting, could see him motioning to the bench right away.
I think he knew immediately, the severity of the re-injured knee.
As I posted before, I thought he was quite the baller.
Best to him, from here on out.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:47 am

COUTEAU wrote:I didn't see what or how it happened.
But, from where we were sitting, could see him motioning to the bench right away.
I think he knew immediately, the severity of the re-injured knee.
As I posted before, I thought he was quite the baller.
Best to him, from here on out.

It happened right at the elbow of the lane as he was curling from the opposite wing receiving the pass. It was just a little hiccup. If you blinked, you missed it. Truth be told, I didn’t see it live either. I had to go back and watch the replay of the game to see it. Tough break for the kid.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm

I thought he stepped on the Evansville played foot and twisted ankle. But yes from the replay he was going down center of lane and pushed off with the left foo and didn’t even attempt to put it down again. He knew.
Sad for him for sure.

Aces12
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces12 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Watching replay of game. Still do not see how DC was called for the flagrant. I’d love to hear explanation from refs on that

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Aces12 wrote:Watching replay of game. Still do not see how DC was called for the flagrant. I’d love to hear explanation from refs on that

I didn’t see it live- it took me until halftime to finally get signed up for the ESPN+ Free trial.

I went back and watched the replay just now. He was called for a Flagrant 1 hook and hold.

If you google ‘Isaac Haas Rule’ you can read all about the rule change this year because the Purdue big man got hurt in the NCAA tournament.

Return to “The Aces”