Game Thread: Aces at Illinois State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Game Thread: Aces at Illinois State

Postby ncace » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:21 pm

We've all realized it; there will be a number of 50-60 pt. games in the MVC this year. Disappointed, yes, but this result doesn't surprise me. ISUr was motivated by the fluke at Valpo earlier in the week, and we've not yet figured out how to play on the road. ISUr definitely has talent, but has not performed well up to now. I think we very well may have lost to a team today that will finish top 3 in the MVC, despite their pre-con. record.

Chalk it up. Come home and play our game next week against 2 good teams. One game at a time. Learn and move on. Yes, we are inconsistent, but we've also beaten some teams like BSU and Green Bay that are pretty good. hope we have good crowds at home this coming week.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:28 pm

It will be interesting to see how many people think we will win our next game. Loyola is the best team we will play the rest of this season.

Ace78
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:My take on the last 12 minutes was we had ZERO, I mean ZERO post defense. They got in the paint easily and I saw nothing but dunks and layups. DC is our only paint defender and when he is not the game we have no post defense. Kuhlman is too slow and is playing out of position. This was not a game I thought we would win but we were far from competitive the last 12 minutes of the game.

Totally agree. I made the same comment ... lack of competitive effort the last 10 to 12 minutes. No way the Aces should allow a team that many layups and dunks all strung together like that! Disappointing to not get any production from Feehan or Frederking. The Aces seem to be too nice when they play. Today they didn't have that "you're not going to beat me" attitude.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:37 pm

youngacesfan wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:
youngacesfan wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. Our shooting hasn't been that good outside of the Xavier and ball state game

Section 3 has some comments that make me laugh, sorry to call you out, but some of the things you say are off the wall.

Care to give any examples??

Glad my comments make you laugh.....may help break the downer this awful performance was! Love my Aces, but hate it when we play so weak and seem to have forgotten how to make plays that will put points on the scoreboard. My biggest concern is at this point in the season we are now waiting until the 2nd half to start our engines (today we NEVER got started at all), several players have lost their shooting touch, and we rack up turnovers rather than points (ball handling getting worse????). So, yes, I see too many steps backwards...not good.

Walter said it himself that 'we weren't ready to play today." I'm a girl, and not a coach...I said they played "silly'...my term for "not tough and not appearing to care that they weren't tough." Seems to me that I agree with the coach.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:41 pm

lawrencevgibson wrote:At least Drake is 0-2

Drake was a preseason pick to finish 9th and Evansville 10th.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:45 pm

lawrencevgibson wrote:At least Drake is 0-2

Hate theDRAKE.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Road games are tough to win just ask Illinois-State and Kansas who has 56 points with 2 minutes left on the road. Kansas is #5 team in the country.

acesfan27
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Way too many turnovers today compared to Illinois state 6 you won’t win very many games with that many tos Shamars been good for us lately but he played like a freshmen today it happens chalk this one up and get ready for the next home game vs Loyola

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Give credit to Illinois St defense, it was better than our offense. We looked bad because they made us look bad.

Next two years will be different and we must keep upgrading the quality of player we bring in.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm

E-Villan wrote:Illinois State Board: http://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewforum.p ... 2e69337d65

Barely 30 seconds into the broadcast and play-by-play announcer John Rooney introduces our Aces as "Evansville University". Come on Johnny, do your research, it's the University of Evansville or UE for short. There is no Evansville University or EU in the MVC. UE has been in the Valley for 25 years at this point. Purple Redbird, please notify BTbird next time you're at redbirdfan.net it's not EU, it's UE. No one here says the University of Illinois State or UIS. Still watching the replay but felt the need to rant a bit.

Return to “The Aces”