Game Thread: Aces at Illinois State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Thread: Aces at Illinois State

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm

GA Ace wrote:
E-Villan wrote:Illinois State Board: http://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewforum.p ... 2e69337d65

Barely 30 seconds into the broadcast and play-by-play announcer John Rooney introduces our Aces as "Evansville University". Come on Johnny, do your research, it's the University of Evansville or UE for short. There is no Evansville University or EU in the MVC. UE has been in the Valley for 25 years at this point. Purple Redbird, please notify BTbird next time you're at redbirdfan.net it's not EU, it's UE. No one here says the University of Illinois State or UIS. Still watching the replay but felt the need to rant a bit.

Rooney needs to stick to baseball, and forget about basketball.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Thoughts from the stands:

-ISU defense won the game. They guarded without fouling and really seemed to frustrate KJ especially.
- The wide open 3 in the corner that Shea missed short was tough if that goes in I think it would have really sparked us.
-No idea why DC did not play more in the 2nd half. We had no answer for Fayne.
- Frederking looked scared to me. Not sure there was anybody on the floor he could have stayed in front of on d.
-Not often a player with no official shot attempts and only 1 point is the difference. I think you can say that about Chastain. Completely shut down KJ by staying in front of him.
- Worst officiated game I have seen in a long time. So many horrible calls both ways. Did not decide the game, but really bad.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:21 pm

I had this one penciled in as a loss back in November. So I won’t engage in too much hand-wringing.

I also wouldn’t say a team that led 10-6 at the first TV time-out was not into the game at the start. A few unforced turnovers and two questionable offensive calls and we got passive - never recovering. Started passing around the perimeter and not getting into the paint with post feeds or dribble penetration. I kind of felt bad for Marty Hill as he ended up getting the ball with 2 seconds on the shot clock and having to force a shot numerous times.

As long as we hold serve at home and maybe steal a few roadies, it will be a successful year.

Vampire Five
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1962

Postby Vampire Five » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Ace78 wrote:0 bench points today.

That’s true....but....Why didn’t Newton play lots more, especially since Feehan and Riley played bad? KJ cannot handle the ball.....

I wonder if Coach thinks the team got Punked in the 2nd half with all of the dunks and easy baskets they gave up in the last 10 min.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:I had this one penciled in as a loss back in November. So I won’t engage in too much hand-wringing.

I also wouldn’t say a team that led 10-6 at the first TV time-out was not into the game at the start. A few unforced turnovers and two questionable offensive calls and we got passive - never recovering. Started passing around the perimeter and not getting into the paint with post feeds or dribble penetration. I kind of felt bad for Marty Hill as he ended up getting the ball with 2 seconds on the shot clock and having to force a shot numerous times.

As long as we hold serve at home and maybe steal a few roadies, it will be a successful year.

Redbirds played a lot of zone today which tells me they respect KJ's driving more than they do our perimeter game. I suspect we are going to see a lot more of that.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
NumbersDontLie wrote:I had this one penciled in as a loss back in November. So I won’t engage in too much hand-wringing.

Redbirds played a lot of zone today which tells me they respect KJ's driving more than they do our perimeter game. I suspect we are going to see a lot more of that.

That’s what I was thinking while watching the game. K.J. can’t shoot the three, Frederking seems to have lost confidence in his shot, Feehan with a little pressure can’t seem to make the shot now and Kuhlman has been going through a really dry spell. That leaves only Hill to guard the three and stopping the dribble drive/pass into the paint.

The Redbird zone was executed to perfection and our players went into panic mode and looked lost in the offense. The coaches saw what happened and will put a plan together to combat our weaknesses. Hopefully this will be corrected before we get to games we are expected to win.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:

After watching the game in person and then watching the replay at home, ISU played almost no zone today. Was by the far the lowest amount they have played all year. I think that Chastain (who is 6'6") just had the size, athleticism, and good foot work to stay in front of him.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 pm

purpleredbird wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

After watching the game in person and then watching the replay at home, ISU played almost no zone today. Was by the far the lowest amount they have played all year. I think that Chastain (who is 6'6") just had the size, athleticism, and good foot work to stay in front of him.

Partly true. They played a match-up zone, in effect a combination defense. Think of it as a hybrid Prius, a red one, with all the options. The reason Chastain could stay in front of KJ was that there wasn't any space to exploit on either side of him. I'm not downplaying Chastain. He's a terrific player and I'm pretty sure that Marty offered him out of high school. I wish we had him.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 am

As was posted, prior by "numbersdon'tlie", I'm sure many of us ACES fans had this game penciled in as a loss.
Can only speak for myself, but I was riding a post New Year's sugar high, after theDRAKE win, expecting a 2-0 start in MVC play.

Must remember, where we are, as ACES fans.
With very little inside presence, they have become a "live by the three, die by the three" team.
And right now, the three's aren't falling like they were, earlier in the season.

Yesterday, at basically a .25% clip, The ACES would have had to launch 2O more three point attempts, to gain the needed 15 points to win that game.
Shea's shots seemed on line, but were short.
Marty's were hurried and several were desperate prayers at the end of shot clock.
One, of Jawaun's two wasn't even close.
John Hall was one for three.
KJ, shouldn't even think about shooting the ball, outside 10-12 feet, until he's developed his accuracy.
Evan has seemed to have found his shooting touch once again.
And, I have no clue who that was wearing the Noah suit, in those 6-7 minutes, he was on the floor.
Freshman jitters, in his first VALLEY road game, may have caused Shamar's "Candian Chaos" style D to pick up two quick fouls and turn over the ball three times in 12 minutes yesterday.
DC, had a great game, collecting rebounds, up there last year. But, seemed lost on the court yesterday.
He (DC) made one good play, on a pass to Shea for his high floater off the glass, early in first half. Other than that?....non existent.

I'm not concerned.
They'll bounce back against the rambler's on Tuesday. I'll predict a win (as always).
And not to get to far ahead.....But, following with an ISU home game. Then a trip to Springfield, they could very well be sitting @ 4-1, in VALLEY play, for the rematch against the birds, on the nineteenth at The FC.
If so, we'll all be riding sugar highs, for that one.

go aces
Still on Board!

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 am

If after 25 years they're still calling the University of Evansville "EU," I don't think they will change any time soon.
The University of Missouri ( hope they never win anything) is called MU, the University of Kansas is KU, University of Oklahoma is OU, etc. In those states, they're used to putting the intials in reverse order, so they are not going to care enough to change now.

Return to “The Aces”