Game Thread: Aces at Illinois State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Game Thread: Aces at Illinois State

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 am

My above post was meant to be in response to the post last night by GA Ace in regards to UE being referred to as EU.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 am

Just a quick question on the officials......are they MVC only or are we still part of the the consortium of officials from different conferences? Thought Spencer told us a year or so back that officials are not just from the MVC anymore....anyone know?
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:29 am

One step forward, one back. Who didn't think this process would be like this? The hope is we see 1 1/2 forward this season before one back. Lumps, we knew we'd had em coming. But... The Birds are beatable at The Ford. Protect home, get the next road game. FG% solves a lot of problems, we have the shooters and I sense when just one snaps out of it the rest will feed off of it.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:58 am

For the Aces to win they need multiple double digit scorers 1 ! Usually we need a couple of high teens or twenty point scorer and a couple in the 10-15 range.
Get on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

purpleredbird
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:19 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
Redbirds played a lot of zone today which tells me they respect KJ's driving more than they do our perimeter game. I suspect we are going to see a lot more of that.

After watching the game in person and then watching the replay at home, ISU played almost no zone today. Was by the far the lowest amount they have played all year. I think that Chastain (who is 6'6") just had the size, athleticism, and good foot work to stay in front of him.

Partly true. They played a match-up zone, in effect a combination defense. Think of it as a hybrid Prius, a red one, with all the options. The reason Chastain could stay in front of KJ was that there wasn't any space to exploit on either side of him. I'm not downplaying Chastain. He's a terrific player and I'm pretty sure that Marty offered him out of high school. I wish we had him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the zone. Coach Muller even said in the post game they did not play a single possession of zone since the man to man was working so well. The 2-3 zone that ISU does play some was definitely not used. It is true with a lot of the switching that was done it can appear to be a matchup.

Regardless, looking forward to the rematch in 2 weeks. I'll be at the Ford Center for it.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:57 pm

purpleredbird wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:
After watching the game in person and then watching the replay at home, ISU played almost no zone today. Was by the far the lowest amount they have played all year. I think that Chastain (who is 6'6") just had the size, athleticism, and good foot work to stay in front of him.

Partly true. They played a match-up zone, in effect a combination defense. Think of it as a hybrid Prius, a red one, with all the options. The reason Chastain could stay in front of KJ was that there wasn't any space to exploit on either side of him. I'm not downplaying Chastain. He's a terrific player and I'm pretty sure that Marty offered him out of high school. I wish we had him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the zone. Coach Muller even said in the post game they did not play a single possession of zone since the man to man was working so well. The 2-3 zone that ISU does play some was definitely not used. It is true with a lot of the switching that was done it can appear to be a matchup.

Regardless, looking forward to the rematch in 2 weeks. I'll be at the Ford Center for it.

No, after rewatching it, I'm going to have to agree to agree with you. Either too many cocktails or I was watching the Syracuse game. Let me just say before finishing my plate of crow that I don't know anything about basketball. I just have season tickets to see Aces Family Feud.

purpleredbird
Road Tripper

Postby purpleredbird » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

No, after rewatching it, I'm going to have to agree to agree with you. Either too many cocktails or I was watching the Syracuse game. Let me just say before finishing my plate of crow that I don't know anything about basketball. I just have season tickets to see Aces Family Feud.

:D :D :D :D :D As much switching as ISU does out top, it can certainly appear to be a match-up zone on many possessions. ISU has really ramped up the defense in the last 2 games, which I think coincides with the shortening of the bench. Tinsley was really struggling on defense this year. That's a big part of why he has fallen out of the rotation, at least for now. Will be interesting to see how ISU gets Bruniga back into the rotation now that his foot has mostly recovered.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm

purpleredbird wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:

:D :D :D :D :D As much switching as ISU does out top, it can certainly appear to be a match-up zone on many possessions. ISU has really ramped up the defense in the last 2 games, which I think coincides with the shortening of the bench. Tinsley was really struggling on defense this year. That's a big part of why he has fallen out of the rotation, at least for now. Will be interesting to see how ISU gets Bruniga back into the rotation now that his foot has mostly recovered.

I expect that the preseason poll with Loyola, Illinois State and SIU taking the top three spots will hold true but injuries have slowed each of them. Notably, Loyola has lost an outstanding starter in Lucas Williamson who was averaging 9 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists and SIU has been without Armon Fletcher and now shot blocker Thik Bol. For the Redbirds, I don't see why Bruninga wouldn't be redshirting even if his foot has mostly recovered. He's already missed nearly half the season. But if he's the difference between dancing in March and not dancing, who knows? Maybe the temptation to use him in Evans and MY's senior seasons will be too great to pass on as opposed to banking on their chances being better next year without them. Muller also has his job to worry about. Dancing would save it, finishing mid-pack wouldn't, IMO.

purpleredbird
Road Tripper

Postby purpleredbird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:49 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
purpleredbird wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

I expect that the preseason poll with Loyola, Illinois State and SIU taking the top three spots will hold true but injuries have slowed each of them. Notably, Loyola has lost an outstanding starter in Lucas Williamson who was averaging 9 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists and SIU has been without Armon Fletcher and now shot blocker Thik Bol. For the Redbirds, I don't see why Bruninga wouldn't be redshirting even if his foot has mostly recovered. He's already missed nearly half the season. But if he's the difference between dancing in March and not dancing, who knows? Maybe the temptation to use him in Evans and MY's senior seasons will be too great to pass on as opposed to banking on their chances being better next year without them. Muller also has his job to worry about. Dancing would save it, finishing mid-pack wouldn't, IMO.

I know this is dated, but Bruninga hurt his foot again in practice and is back in a walking boot. Will now more than likely redshirt, but Dan always leaves it up to the player for final decision. Oh, and Dan's job is no way in jeopardy.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 pm

I don't care for Muller, but I think it's in the best interest of Aces fans that he sticks around for a long time.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Return to “The Aces”