BU Braves

Discussions of all the Aces sports
BN3747
Casual Fan
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 am
Fan Since: 2008

Re: BU Braves

Postby BN3747 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

AmazingAce wrote:
BN3747 wrote:And seriously to call someone a top player and then see the number of points they give up...certainly doesn't seem like that's a well rounded player by any means...


Only a fool would believe that that measurement is not subject to a myriad of other variables. And it certainly isn't a measure of how well-rounded a player is. Let's say Billy Bob is in the game at the same time that 3 bench players are in the game to replace 3 starters in foul trouble. Is Billy Bob the reason why the opponents went on a scoring run? It would be more meaningful if you measured specific combinations. Do the opponents score more on the starters or on any specific combination of starters and bench? And what about the backup center on a team with a great starting defensive center like Giddy. The backup rarely has the privilege of being on the floor with the team's best defender so obviously his points "given up" will be negatively affected because of it while others look better even though Giddy had to block the shot of the man who drove past them. And, in a close game where the Aces are behind in the closing minutes and must foul for a chance to win, are the opponents free throws made a sign of poor defense in those possessions or are they an order from the bench to create free throw situations out of desperation? The stat is a cold stat and virtually meaningless. Any attempt to make basketball stats as reliable a measurement as baseball stats is doomed to fail.


It's a "meaningless stat" because you don't like it...no one likes it..it's a big reason for losses. Obviously the more points that are given up the the bigger the risk of losing games. Totally agree with UE11. She goes "off topic" because she can't deal with the facts and/or doesn't like to see them for what they are. It's a lot more than "Blind Loyalty".

AmazingAce
Amazingly Banned
Amazingly Banned
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am
Fan Since: 1968

Re: BU Braves

Postby AmazingAce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 pm

BN3747 wrote:
AmazingAce wrote:
BN3747 wrote:And seriously to call someone a top player and then see the number of points they give up...certainly doesn't seem like that's a well rounded player by any means...


Only a fool would believe that that measurement is not subject to a myriad of other variables. And it certainly isn't a measure of how well-rounded a player is. Let's say Billy Bob is in the game at the same time that 3 bench players are in the game to replace 3 starters in foul trouble. Is Billy Bob the reason why the opponents went on a scoring run? It would be more meaningful if you measured specific combinations. Do the opponents score more on the starters or on any specific combination of starters and bench? And what about the backup center on a team with a great starting defensive center like Giddy. The backup rarely has the privilege of being on the floor with the team's best defender so obviously his points "given up" will be negatively affected because of it while others look better even though Giddy had to block the shot of the man who drove past them. And, in a close game where the Aces are behind in the closing minutes and must foul for a chance to win, are the opponents free throws made a sign of poor defense in those possessions or are they an order from the bench to create free throw situations out of desperation? The stat is a cold stat and virtually meaningless. Any attempt to make basketball stats as reliable a measurement as baseball stats is doomed to fail.


It's a "meaningless stat" because you don't like it...no one likes it..it's a big reason for losses. Obviously the more points that are given up the the bigger the risk of losing games. Totally agree with UE11. She goes "off topic" because she can't deal with the facts and/or doesn't like to see them for what they are. It's a lot more than "Blind Loyalty".


Its a meaningless stat when applied to an individual because it's...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...a TEAM game where they play TEAM defense. But you don't like hearing it because you found a stat that fits your need to point a bony finger at a single individual and hang 15 losses around their neck.

acefan88
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 am
Fan Since: 1988

Re: BU Braves

Postby acefan88 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:19 am

I think AmazingAce is busy eating too many of her cupcakes to realize that Blake's minutes are definitely on the rise. Why are we arguing that point? Look at the stats.

Image

BN3747
Casual Fan
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 am
Fan Since: 2008

Re: BU Braves

Postby BN3747 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm

acefan88 wrote:I think AmazingAce is busy eating too many of her cupcakes to realize that Blake's minutes are definitely on the rise. Why are we arguing that point? Look at the stats.

Image



Haha! Good one and I agree!

GO ACES!

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:35 pm
Fan Since: 1980

Re: BU Braves

Postby Aces101 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Funny that some of you say that a player's +/- ratio is worthless. Why do NBA coaches, announcers, and fans put so much emphasis on it? Why is often listed in an NBA box score? It pretty much sums up the impact a player has in a game and helps determine what lineups are effective and those that are not.


Return to “The Aces”