Chris Mack

Discussions of all the Aces sports
NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Chris Mack

Postby NumbersDontLie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for history lesson guys. That was I story I never heard before, and it was before I moved to Evansville and started following the Aces.

Looks like the article appeared in the Cincinnati newspaper April 21, 2009. The article was cut and pasted into an X fan forum if you want to read it.

https://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/426574-back-story-mack-coffee-crews.html#/topics/426574?page=1

Col. Jessup ordered the Code Red!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 pm

Actually Coffee was hit in the face twice in that game.Once by Schreffler and by Mack.Schreffler did his with a no look pass.While Macks smack in the face looked intentionally

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:18 am

Actually the "in your face" smackdown Scott Haffner laid on Dayton the previous year was much more enjoyable!

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:48 am

Dayton fans acted like we threw a 90mph fastball at Coffee's head while he was in the on deck circle.....

I realize most of it is because we really haven't been competitive in the last decade plus, but the rivalries in the MCC were so much more heated than anything we have in the Valley. Xavier was obviously arch enemy one between Crews and Giilen. Dayton was somewhat dirty, and the games after Haffner poured 65 on them always seemed edgy. SLU was good because of the proximity, and the fact Rich Grawer was such a tool. Butler was weak, but a long-time in-state rival who always got up for us. Even Loyola, when they had Clemmons and Hughes.

Maybe when we get back to competing for conference championships there will be someone to hate.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 am

E-Villan wrote:Dayton fans acted like we threw a 90mph fastball at Coffee's head while he was in the on deck circle.....

I realize most of it is because we really haven't been competitive in the last decade plus, but the rivalries in the MCC were so much more heated than anything we have in the Valley. Xavier was obviously arch enemy one between Crews and Giilen. Dayton was somewhat dirty, and the games after Haffner poured 65 on them always seemed edgy. SLU was good because of the proximity, and the fact Rich Grawer was such a tool. Butler was weak, but a long-time in-state rival who always got up for us. Even Loyola, when they had Clemmons and Hughes.

Maybe when we get back to competing for conference championships there will be someone to hate.

I can hate (dislike) SIU, and Ind. St. just on general principles. :lol:

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

From a regional standpoint I can see those two if we are ever battling them for a conference championship, but I couldn't muster the heat up for them like I did for most of the MCC. I especially despised Grawer and Gillen back then, and I couldn't despise either Hinson or Lansing. I feel sorry for Lansing, he has the least to work with of anyone in the conference, and can usually compete regardless. Hinson is just so damn entertaining, and I will never forget what SIU did after the plane crash. Enjoy beating them, yes, just not hating them.

I would think we could get a MCC era rivalry going with Bradley, IF, we start battling for titles with them. Similar schools and cities, and Wardle is not particularly likeable. He has that cocky demeanor that some of the old MCC coaches had. Valpo and Loyola possibly as well, but I don't think I have ever cheered so hard for a conference rival as I did Loyola last year. I could see some bad karma if I started hating a program inspired by a 99 year old nun. Bring back Darius Clemmons, and I might change my mind. Wow..that is the third time I have used his name today.

It would be easy to hate Illinois State for the obvious reasons. They just may implode though before we can heat anything up.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Regional rivalries, is the reason, (I thought) when UE decided to jump from The MCC, that returning to The OVC was a natural fit.
Murray, Austin Peay, UT Martin, and later Belmont could all be away games, ACES fans could drive to after work and still be home, before midnight.
Or, take an easy Saturday afternoon road trip.
In the beginning, The ACES could have still kept Butler and ISU on the schedule during non-con.
I'm thinking OVC would have even moved the tournament here, from the jump.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:17 pm

E-Villan wrote:From a regional standpoint I can see those two if we are ever battling them for a conference championship, but I couldn't muster the heat up for them like I did for most of the MCC. I especially despised Grawer and Gillen back then, and I couldn't despise either Hinson or Lansing. I feel sorry for Lansing, he has the least to work with of anyone in the conference, and can usually compete regardless. Hinson is just so damn entertaining, and I will never forget what SIU did after the plane crash. Enjoy beating them, yes, just not hating them.

I would think we could get a MCC era rivalry going with Bradley, IF, we start battling for titles with them. Similar schools and cities, and Wardle is not particularly likeable. He has that cocky demeanor that some of the old MCC coaches had. Valpo and Loyola possibly as well, but I don't think I have ever cheered so hard for a conference rival as I did Loyola last year. I could see some bad karma if I started hating a program inspired by a 99 year old nun. Bring back Darius Clemmons, and I might change my mind. Wow..that is the third time I have used his name today.

It would be easy to hate Illinois State for the obvious reasons. They just may implode though before we can heat anything up.

Honestly, I really don’t see anyone in the current Valley that we could have that hated rivalry like we did with X. Drake and UNI? Too much distance. MSU? Same thing. SIU? They are more interested in MSU. Bradley? They only exist to beat ILS, and vice versa. That leaves Loyola, Valpo, and INS, and truthfully, it is hard to get any real hate for them. Happy to beat them, but in the grand scheme of things, really is just kind of a “meh” game. Now, if the Valley were to add Murray and/or NKU, I could see a very intense rivalry staring there, especially NKU. I can honestly say that there was no love loss between NKU and USI, and the two fan bases absolutely hated one another. It realistically could happen again.

But, you’re right. We have to get good again first, and it can’t be a one year wonder. Maybe the landscape will change, and a rivalry can grow where we did not expect one.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Murray before NKU.
Already have "history" with Murray. Especially as of late.
NKU, is a USI thing. When and/or if USI ever jumps up to DI, I could see that bitter vibe blowing up again.
Plus, Cincinnati is twice the distance.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:52 pm

I think SIU, Bradley and Indiana State are probably the best chances to have a nasty rivalry. SIU is probably the most likely to happen given the history and the close distance between the schools.

The probably with Bradley is exactly what ad1770 says, the Illinois State rivalry. If both of us were good though, I could see some tension there given that I believe Evansville and Bradley have the potential to have the best fan bases (along with Missouri State) simply because they are all in good sized metro areas with some good attendance history.

Indiana State could become a good rivalry too if we were both good. That really hasn't ever happened though. Most of the time Evansville is either vastly superior (like in the 80s and 90s), Indiana State is vastly superior (hasn't happened very often - but has in a couple of seasons), or both of us are really not in contention (what has happened most of the time since the early 2000s).

Nail on the head though, we have to be a contenter for rivalries to happen.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”