Game Thread: Loyola at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Game Thread: Loyola at Evansville

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:
ncace wrote:Goes to show that home court can be a big advantage. Bro-in-Law said that We had about 5000 at Ford, including a nice, noisy student section. Good for the Aces and good for UE! Bring on ISUb.....one game at a time.

Yes, just over 5,000. Would have been more had it not been on television via CBS.
This was the most enthusiastic the crowd has been for a game in a long, long time. Can't say enough about the effort put forth by the team and coaches in getting this W. Loyola is a good team, the team to beat in the conference. Perhaps they looked past us just like Ball State did in The Ford. I think it is now safe to say no one should look past us at The Ford where we are clearly a different team than the one on the road.

We have to find a way to bring this kind of energy and effort on the road and we will not be a Thursday team. Other teams are thinking little ole Evansville, pre season last place pick should be two W's (home and away) and they are not realizing how well coached this team is and that we do have a number of good players who are playing together and having fun and we are playing a different style.

It's a great time to be an Aces fan. Excitement is back and fans should really start coming out. This year is really exciting and the future is bright !

Go Aces !
Also SIAC basketball tournament was last night. 8 games played lastnight

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 am

Walter continues to get maximum production from his roster, which I believed was too low on talent to make a ripple, let alone soundly beat Loyola. I really can't believe what I am seeing. Walter and his team of assistants rose a few eyebrows last night. I am not sure how far this team can get...but my expectations have been more than I could have hoped for. Let's keep it going! I will be driving in this Saturday and hope to see more of the same.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:31 am

6th man wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:I agree

To me there are three keys:
1. Limit open three point shots
2. Don't turn the ball over
3. Play at a faster pace

Do those three things, we can win this game.

Good Call !

LOL thanks! Every once a while I get something right haha
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:36 am

Great win for the Aces last night, I agree with pretty much everything that's been posted. Really loves the intensity from the players and crowd, very fun game to watch. Balanced scoring and having multiple threats was a huge key on the success of the offense. However, the biggest factor was the outstanding defense that was played by the Aces.

Let's keep things rolling along with Indiana State on Saturday. Hopefully we can continue to see the crowds grow. Can't wait!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:42 am

Very impressive win last night. Had a prior conflict but I do have it recorded. A true tip of the cap to Walter and his staff. I thought this year was going to be ROUGH after Drew and Ryan left. 100% a Thursday team. That still could happen, but whether it does or not I am impressed with what he is getting out of this team. Bright bright future.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 am

The effect of the student section last night on the crowd, noise level, and the players cannot over stated. Male college students with megaphones was huge. The swim team showed up in speedos with GOACES painted on their chests. They ran body surfing relay races in the empty band area during one time out. Kudos to PurpleReign and hope the raucous student participation continues.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 am

Had a truly awesome experience in Evansville, last night.
Watched the home team, completely dismantle a team, supposedly head and shoulders above the entire conference.
Enjoyed a couple of adult beverages
Sat or stood in four different locations @ The FC.
Great vibe in every spot.
Rowdy student section.....well done!
I really don't think there's a bad view, in the house.
The more often I go to The FC, the more Roberts fades. And, I truly loved that place.
I went to a DI college basketball game last night.
I suggest everyone take this in, before (and I feel it's coming sooner more than later) tix are hard to come by.
:shockue: :shockue: :shockue: :shockue:

go aces
I'm on Board!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 am

muni cup14 wrote:
IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:
ncace wrote:Goes to show that home court can be a big advantage. Bro-in-Law said that We had about 5000 at Ford, including a nice, noisy student section. Good for the Aces and good for UE! Bring on ISUb.....one game at a time.

Yes, just over 5,000. Would have been more had it not been on television via CBS.
This was the most enthusiastic the crowd has been for a game in a long, long time. Can't say enough about the effort put forth by the team and coaches in getting this W. Loyola is a good team, the team to beat in the conference. Perhaps they looked past us just like Ball State did in The Ford. I think it is now safe to say no one should look past us at The Ford where we are clearly a different team than the one on the road.

We have to find a way to bring this kind of energy and effort on the road and we will not be a Thursday team. Other teams are thinking little ole Evansville, pre season last place pick should be two W's (home and away) and they are not realizing how well coached this team is and that we do have a number of good players who are playing together and having fun and we are playing a different style.

It's a great time to be an Aces fan. Excitement is back and fans should really start coming out. This year is really exciting and the future is bright !

Go Aces !
Also SIAC basketball tournament was last night. 8 games played lastnight

Great point. Obviously, some of those fans would have been at the Aces game.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am

I bet we haven’t seen our best game of the year or our worst game of the year. I’m going to keep that in mind the next time we watch an ugly road loss. Consistency will develop in time. Right now, I’m going to use the highs to stay ecstatic about the future and take the lows in stride. The direction of this program is an arrow pointing just about straight up - no loss will be ugly enough to rain on my parade.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:43 pm

I have given up trying to figure out this team. We are bad enough to not score 50 points against Ill. St., yet good enough to dismantle the supposedly best team in the league. I am pretty much going to predict that they will win their home games, and lose their road games, until proven otherwise. I really do think that they will win a road game, and lose a home game before it's all over with. Just have to figure out which ones.

Return to “The Aces”