Game Thread: Loyola at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Thread: Loyola at Evansville

Postby acecard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
acecard wrote:Well, it looks like we can beat anybody here, but nobody on the road. Need to get a few road wins, and we will not be a Thursday team.

I have seen this a couple of times now (although I may be crazy and it really is only once), but in all honesty, if UE does nothing more than hold serve at home, they should avoid the PIG. In my preseason picks, I had Drake, Valpo, MSU, and ISUb in the Thursday games. Outside of Valpo (who hasn’t “fallen apart” yet, and will now probably avoid the PIG. Looking at you Bradley), the other three on this list all have one thing in common. They have all currently dropped a game at home. Defending the Ford should be the battle cry of this team. If they win one or two on the road, that’s just icing on the cake. But I do believe that 9-9 will safely keep them out of the PIG.

And before anyone says anything about it, yes, MSU beat INSb at TH last night, but does anyone really believe that the game against Valpo is the only one MSU will lose at home?

I agree that 9-9 should keep us out of Thursday, but would like to win some road games to give them some road confidence since "Arch Madness" is not held at the Ford Center.

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Figuring out this group...........

That's the great thing about college basketball, it's unpredictable at times and there's a lot to be said about not getting too high or too low off of one performance. Our group is still young when it comes to D-I experience and there will be peaks and valleys along the way. We are somewhere in between the Illinois State-Loyola performances on average. The one real positive is how much the defense is carrying the day as the season has gone on. The Valley is a league that isn't going to play at the fastest pace, a much more half court oriented league and although we can try to push the pace and increase possessions it will still get into the bogged down, shot clock going down, make a play situations. I think this is a strength of our team as we have guys with different skill sets to create. KJ is strong, Marty Hill can rise up for a jumper or make a play off the dribble and use his finesse around the rim to score. Our guards also see the floor pretty well on a drive/kick situation to create for others.

One of the biggest joys with this group is how unselfish they are and how much they seem to enjoy playing together. They've established they will be a tough out at home......asking anyone in the league to go undefeated at home is a tall task but I think it will take a complete effort from an opponent to beat us at home this season. It's still a work in progress and I'm confident they'll get a couple of road wins in league play somewhere. This group has talent but as balanced as the league is, night in and night out you can't just out-talent teams to win games.

Enjoy the ride, it's been fun to see this team grow and exceed some expectations thus far. Saturday will be a challenge, even if the Sycamores have struggled to start Valley play. It was great to see an Evansville team take it to someone from the jump and keep the foot down for the full 40 minutes, it's been a while.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:The effect of the student section last night on the crowd, noise level, and the players cannot over stated. Male college students with megaphones was huge. The swim team showed up in speedos with GOACES painted on their chests. They ran body surfing relay races in the empty band area during one time out. Kudos to PurpleReign and hope the raucous student participation continues.

+100
Get on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

fg4ster wrote:I bet we haven’t seen our best game of the year or our worst game of the year. I’m going to keep that in mind the next time we watch an ugly road loss. Consistency will develop in time. Right now, I’m going to use the highs to stay ecstatic about the future and take the lows in stride. The direction of this program is an arrow pointing just about straight up - no loss will be ugly enough to rain on my parade.

This is an excellent post. In the last two games we just saw one of our best of the year (if not the best) and one of our worst (at Ill State). The direction is absolutely straight up. When we are seeing transfers actually looking at UE to transfer to (from bigger schools) word is getting around this may just be a great place to play ball. I see our wins growing, our crowd growing and enthusiasm coming back and last night is just the start. Gonna have to stay calm when we get beat and enjoy the wins knowing more are on the way with what is taking place over on Walnut.

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

GA Ace wrote:CBS Sports Network showed Walter speaking with the team in the locker room before the game. Coach introduced the “toughness belt”, a wrestling-type championship belt to be awarded to the player that draws the most charges. A great motivational tool for the guys to play for.

1c4d8b5244e9d70daa6d579252c04230--sunglasses-ric-flair.jpg
1c4d8b5244e9d70daa6d579252c04230--sunglasses-ric-flair.jpg (12.49 KiB) Viewed 299 times

The Nature Boy approves and just got on board.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 pm

As Ric Flair would say:

WOOOOO :lol:
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

lawrencevgibson
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby lawrencevgibson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

pafan wrote:
lawrencevgibson wrote:Probably the most consistent game of the season. Still to many TO's (18) but I think a lot of them were on offensive fouls. The guys made a statement tonight. I wonder why Kuhlman 13 minutes.

Walter said post-game Kuhlman was feeling ill today.

What a shame. He's starting to get on track. Another good game would've been great for him.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm

He actually played pretty well when he was in there, hopefully it will carry over to the game tomorrow. When he plays with confidence he is a really good player.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”