Game Thread: Trees at Evansville

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Game Thread: Trees at Evansville

Postby pafan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm

For the first time in a long time, the curtains at Ford Center will be open with Indiana State coming down.

ISU has come back to earth after a couple of promising wins in their MTE in Hawaii. In MVC play they are averaging 53.7 points and allowing 70.3. They hardly ever shoot 3s, but do get to the line on drives inside frequently. It looks like ISU has had trouble distributing the ball and getting several players involved. Jordan Barnes, who is supposed to be "the dude", was held scoreless by Loyola and had 7 turnovers against MSU.

Tip Time: 1pm, Ford Center
TV/Streaming: ESPN3
Radio: Purple Aces Sports Network, 107.1 WJPS, 97.7 Vincennes, 92.1 Carmi
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Game Thread: Trees at Evansville

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm

I see we open as a 4 point favorite. I would not have figured this a month ago, let alone nine months ago.
I hope the weather is only bad enough to keep some of the Tree fans from making the trip only to see our Aces put an L on their resume. Would make for a long day for sure.
If we can get 7,000-8,000 for the game given the messy weather that would be terrific. I just hope we put up the kind of effort we did vs Loyola and keep the Trees in a tailspin.

Go Aces !

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:09 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I see we open as a 4 point favorite. I would not have figured this a month ago, let alone nine months ago.
I hope the weather is only bad enough to keep some of the Tree fans from making the trip only to see our Aces put an L on their resume. Would make for a long day for sure.
If we can get 7,000-8,000 for the game given the messy weather that would be terrific. I just hope we put up the kind of effort we did vs Loyola and keep the Trees in a tailspin.

Go Aces !

They will have to give that kind of effort if they want to win the game. The Aces have to give that kind of effort in every game they play, else we have Ill. St. kind of games. It's not easy to do in every game.

youngacesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm

pafan wrote:For the first time in a long time, the curtains at Ford Center will be open with Indiana State coming down.

ISU has come back to earth after a couple of promising wins in their MTE in Hawaii. In MVC play they are averaging 53.7 points and allowing 70.3. They hardly ever shoot 3s, but do get to the line on drives inside frequently. It looks like ISU has had trouble distributing the ball and getting several players involved. Jordan Barnes, who is supposed to be "the dude", was held scoreless by Loyola and had 7 turnovers against MSU.

Tip Time: 1pm, Ford Center
TV/Streaming: ESPN3
Radio: Purple Aces Sports Network, 107.1 WJPS, 97.7 Vincennes, 92.1 Carmi

Barnes was sick against Loyola. He is a very capable scorer that can shoot from anywhere

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Todd Golden's write-up from the Tribune Star:

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_c ... 26c6e.html

[In Evansville, ISU faces a Purple Aces team that is dramatically different from recent vintage. With the coaching change from Marty Simmons to Walter McCarty, the Aces have morphed from a slow-paced motion attack to a fast-paced NBA-style offense.

"I was a big fan of Marty Simmons and how hard his teams were to play against and he was one of the last true motion guys out there," Lansing said. "Coach McCarty has his own way of what he's doing offensively and defensively. He's brought NBA-type schemes to it. Their players have really bought in and are really playing well."]

Of course Lansing "was a big fan of Marty Simmons", especially after beating the Aces twice last season. Now instead of focussing on one player in Marty's motion offense, the Trees will have to keep all Aces in-check. Even DC from 3 is a possibility, albeit rare, but still something on their minds after reviewing the Loyola game tape. This won't be the same quiet, yearly dwindling Ford Center crowd, the Sycamores are used to playing in front of each year. R̶o̶b̶e̶r̶t̶s̶ The Ford Center will be rocking with a f̶u̶l̶l̶ sold out lower bowl (and Couteau in the upper bowl) cheering on the Aces. Gotta' love the Aces chances if they play with the intensity they brought during the Loyola game.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:42 am

GA Ace wrote:......(and Couteau in the upper bowl).....

Thx,
I'll be the guy, in the ACES sweatshirt..... 8-)

go aces

:shockue: :razzinsu: :shockue:

acecard
Head Cheerleader

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm having a reserved feeling about this game. After coming off an outstanding performance against Loyola, I am a little leery about today. It's really hard to play lights out in consecutive games, especially when you have as little margin for error as do the Aces. Not going to go back on my prediction, but this could be way closer than we like.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Are they shooting lights out with a hand in their face, or is it all wide open looks for ISU?
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

acecard
Head Cheerleader

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Trees playing real tough defense. Forcing the Aces into a half court game, which is not their strength. Need to start hitting some three's to open it up.

acecard
Head Cheerleader

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Aces ramping up defense, and playing better on offense.

Return to “The Aces”