2019 Non Conference Schedule

Discussions of all the Aces sports
6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Re: 2019 Non Conference Schedule

Postby 6th man » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 pm

youngacesfan wrote:
6th man wrote:I like the idea of going on the road to the predetermine conference favourite out of the chute. The Bears are ranked #55 according to CBB Central.
http://mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t= ... aa226252ef
I believe the first 3 away conference games will be the tale of the season
Bradley was picked by CBB Central @#90. This game will be a great challenge @home.
My thoughts are this schedule will give the Aces the path to be successful !

Go ACES!

Those games will definitely be tough tests for sure, but I don't give a crap about what the pundits say. None of them are giving us any respect

Respect is earned! The Aces haven't been taken seriously in over the last decade. Time will tell. If you're referring to the MVC boards...well..welcome to the mvc board :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Acescott
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acescott » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 pm

We were taken seriously leading up to the '15-'16 season - picked second, finished tied for second. That's the only upper division prediction I can remember this century....

The Valley schedule is mainly interesting to me from the standpoint of what road games I can try to make. I would prefer to start out with maybe three on the road, the toughest 3 - though that is hard to figure out. Then even if you drop them you have a chance to finish stronger, sneaking up in the standings with a home heavy stretch run to build tourney confidence.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:19 am

I don't understand why Indiana State will not schedule us on the weekend. Are they that insecure that we will take over their freaking arena?

It's been years since we have played there on the weekend. We need to start returning the favor...maybe give them the Educational Day Game, 9AM on a Tuesday.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:41 am

E-Villan wrote:I don't understand why Indiana State will not schedule us on the weekend. Are they that insecure that we will take over their freaking arena?

It's been years since we have played there on the weekend. We need to start returning the favor...maybe give them the Educational Day Game, 9AM on a Tuesday.

Unfortunately, it is Elgin and company that decides on what day the teams play, not the teams themselves. And even though it is a weeknight game, I’m planning on going. It’s only two hours to get there from Evansville.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am

Acescott wrote:We were taken seriously leading up to the '15-'16 season - picked second, finished tied for second. That's the only upper division prediction I can remember this century....

The Valley schedule is mainly interesting to me from the standpoint of what road games I can try to make. I would prefer to start out with maybe three on the road, the toughest 3 - though that is hard to figure out. Then even if you drop them you have a chance to finish stronger, sneaking up in the standings with a home heavy stretch run to build tourney confidence.

From what I remember - all this is based on memory so I could be slightly off - with the exception of that season we were picked in the bottom part of the conference every year except 14-15 (think we were picked 5th but not positive - we ended up 5th). Pretty sure we were picked in the bottom 4 every year under Merfeld. You have to go all the way back to 99-00 and 00-01. I know we were picked 2nd or 3rd in 2000 and 2nd in 2001. Both of those years we underperformed (2000 due to injuries and 2001 I don't think anyone ever figured out what was going on). For what it's worth, we were picked 6th the year we won in 99.
#WeNotMe

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:I don't understand why Indiana State will not schedule us on the weekend. Are they that insecure that we will take over their freaking arena?

Unfortunately, it is Elgin and company that decides on what day the teams play, not the teams themselves. And even though it is a weeknight game, I’m planning on going. It’s only two hours to get there from Evansville.

I have a hard time believing the schools don't have some say in this. We always have Indiana State on the weekends, and they always stick us on a weeknight. If Elgin had full control, it seems the randomness would work its way around on both sides.

I guess there is some room to debate the logistics of regional rival scheduling. My instinct is you schedule those schools on weekends, so you can get a good gate with traveling fans. While I stand with that, I do see some logic in scheduling those during the week, and giving schools with less local interest the weekend games, where you could draw a little more.

For example, with us, Indiana State and SIU will always draw interest regardless of the day due to the alums in the area. Should you schedule them on the weekend, where you will get a good response from visitors as well, or do you put them on a weekday and put a school with less local interest like UNI on the weekend, where you have a better chance to get a decent crowd without local interests.

ncace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:44 pm

IMHO, this is more about linking a couple of games in a trip. It can also be simply a matter of repetition for the schedulers: ISUb and UE are pretty close to each other, so this is a gap we can easily fill. Valpo and Loyola might be similar. Ditto, UNI and Drake. Ditto ISUr and Bradley. May just be me, but ISUb (Jerry Newsome) has ALWAYS been a tough away game for us. That's the definition of an arch rival.

Return to “The Aces”