Plans to sell WUEV FCC Petition Info

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Plans to sell WUEV FCC Petition Info

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Recently, the university announced a plan to sell WUEV to WAY-FM. WAY-FM is a national, contemporary Christian broadcaster with all programming generated nationally, nothing local. In addition, WAY-FM already has a frequency in Evansville..91.9. Not only do we lose the unique and local broadcasting WUEV brings, we will get nothing more than a duplication of national programming.

Link below to sign an online petition if you wish the FCC to block this license transfer. There is also information on how to send regular mail to the FCC. I would hate to lose this unique voice, as well as the educational opportunities for UE students.

https://www.change.org/p/university-of- ... en-gb%3Av2

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Plans to sell WUEV FCC Petition Info

Postby NumbersDontLie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:49 pm

E-Villan wrote:Recently, the university announced a plan to sell WUEV to WAY-FM. WAY-FM is a national, contemporary Christian broadcaster with all programming generated nationally, nothing local. In addition, WAY-FM already has a frequency in Evansville..91.9. Not only do we lose the unique and local broadcasting WUEV brings, we will get nothing more than a duplication of national programming.

Link below to sign an online petition if you wish the FCC to block this license transfer. There is also information on how to send regular mail to the FCC. I would hate to lose this unique voice, as well as the educational opportunities for UE students.

https://www.change.org/p/university-of- ... en-gb%3Av2

Did you read about this in the evening edition Evansville Press? If so, be sure to call and complain to UE from your rotary phone.

Terrestrial radio is an extremely expensive technology with very limited future.

The University administration doesn't want it.
The athletics department doesn't want to broadcast on it.
The communications faculty don't want it - they now have video/podcast/social media instruction and state of the art digital production labs in the renovated Hyde Hall.
The turntables and vinyl LPs were sold long ago.
Students don't grow up dreaming about being the next Casey Kasem or Wolfman Jack.

Sorry, but only a small minority of people think keeping WUEV is worth the cost. And for all the radio talk (pun intended), no one has stepped forward to fund it with an endowment.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:Terrestrial radio is an extremely expensive technology with very limited future.

To speak to this, UE had an offer while I was a student for WUEV valued at $1.5 million.
This year's sale is for $150,000. A 90% drop in 13 years.

I was one of those who was strongly opposed to selling WUEV back then. Today I do not care.

NumbersDontLie wrote:The communications faculty don't want it

The communications faculty didn't want it when I was a student, and at least a few years prior to that. A university owning a radio station may have made sense at one time, when there were faculty advisors and a stream of broadcasting students on the air. Last school year, WUEV operated by computer automation almost all the time. I occasionally dial up the jazz programming during the workday, and I can't recall the last time I heard a student DJ on the air. It might be multiple years.

Most of the supporters who believe WUEV should remain with UE seem to be of an older generation who remember a much more vibrant WUEV. If WUEV were still that vibrant, I would oppose the sale, and I would also be a regular donor.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 pm

I understand the economics of this particular decision. What is Prez P doing to make UE more relevant in today's university environment? Enrollment has declined steadily. We need to get the student body back up to the 3500-4000 range, IMHO. Maybe that's happening, but I'm not seeing much evidence that a master plan for growth is in process. A capital campaign, yes, but a GROWTH plan is not just a capital campaign. Is there a sense of urgency? New courses of study? Additional graduate programs?
'

Return to “The Aces”