Bellarmine to announce DI move

Discussions of all the Aces sports
youngacesfan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1999

Re: Bellarmine to announce DI move

Postby youngacesfan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Ad1770 wrote:https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/southern-indiana/2019/06/18/bellarmine-jumping-division-i-end-yet-another-usi-rivalry/1486915001/

USI response is an absolute joke. Roshon tries to basically say that USI is actually Ivy Tech with this statement:

I want everyone to remember that USI has a very significant number of students who work many hours a week to make ends meet. We don’t have that kind of resource at my fingertips to identify a payday for any entity or organization to move us to that kind of membership.

Now remember, USI has over 11,000 students, the majority of them are full time students, and a significant number are paying the majority of their costs to go there.

Hall’s response, to be honest, makes no sense:

I understand why people have to ask the question, I just think at this time, it’s best for us to be in Division II

The Screaming Eagles will continue to compete for conference and national championships. The focus won’t change, Hall said. Plus, there’s the new 4,800-seat arena to promote interest.

Why bring up the new arena? What does that matter in any context of this article??? Guess that they want to hide behind the cost of the move to hide the fact that they don’t even have the cahones to make the move in the first place.

USI deserves every bit of criticism they get for this. I’m done with them. Good riddance.

Side note: I graduated from USI (ashamed to say this now), and donate when I can. So, don’t @ me for my reactions and statements. I also guess I can find a better use for my few dollars then in a higher ups pocket instead of making a smart business move.

Their responses are laughable. The current administration at USI is a clown show

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:09 pm

youngacesfan wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/southern-indiana/2019/06/18/bellarmine-jumping-division-i-end-yet-another-usi-rivalry/1486915001/

USI response is an absolute joke. Roshon tries to basically say that USI is actually Ivy Tech with this statement:

I want everyone to remember that USI has a very significant number of students who work many hours a week to make ends meet. We don’t have that kind of resource at my fingertips to identify a payday for any entity or organization to move us to that kind of membership.

Now remember, USI has over 11,000 students, the majority of them are full time students, and a significant number are paying the majority of their costs to go there.

I understand why people have to ask the question, I just think at this time, it’s best for us to be in Division II

The Screaming Eagles will continue to compete for conference and national championships. The focus won’t change, Hall said. Plus, there’s the new 4,800-seat arena to promote interest.

Why bring up the new arena? What does that matter in any context of this article??? Guess that they want to hide behind the cost of the move to hide the fact that they don’t even have the cahones to make the move in the first place.

USI deserves every bit of criticism they get for this. I’m done with them. Good riddance.

Side note: I graduated from USI (ashamed to say this now), and donate when I can. So, don’t @ me for my reactions and statements. I also guess I can find a better use for my few dollars then in a higher ups pocket instead of making a smart business move.

Their responses are laughable. The current administration at USI is a clown show

Why would they spend the millions they did for that fancy arena to host Wisconsin-Parkside and the like? It make absolutely no sense. The PAC was perfectly fine for D2 and was better than quite a few D1 gyms.

With all of their growth, USI is on par with ISU and Ball State. However, I am not so sure the perception is the same due to athletics. Maybe I read too much into it, but it seems schools that are offering a college experience with Saturday afternoon football games, and D1 opponents are perceived higher. Would USI outgrow both of these schools if they were playing on the same level?

Unless this is just a bluff until they can get a gameplan formulated, it seems like some real small-time thinking on their part.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:47 pm

E-Villan wrote:
youngacesfan wrote:

Why would they spend the millions they did for that fancy arena to host Wisconsin-Parkside and the like? It make absolutely no sense. The PAC was perfectly fine for D2 and was better than quite a few D1 gyms.

With all of their growth, USI is on par with ISU and Ball State. However, I am not so sure the perception is the same due to athletics. Maybe I read too much into it, but it seems schools that are offering a college experience with Saturday afternoon football games, and D1 opponents are perceived higher. Would USI outgrow both of these schools if they were playing on the same level?

Unless this is just a bluff until they can get a gameplan formulated, it seems like some real small-time thinking on their part.

There are many who seem to believe along this line...USI is just going to study and fully survey how to successfully make the transition to D-1, though only time will tell. Would love to see USI in the OVC, and certainly fan interest would fill up USI's splendid new areana.

HashtagAce
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2014

Postby HashtagAce » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm

With D2 sports USI gets to claim a nationwide student body with the athletes it recruits in single digit numbers from around the country. With D1 sports it still gets to claim that... with substantially more cost. There's no upside to D1 sports for USI - more travel, more oversight costs, more scholarship outlays that cut into revenue? What's the real upside to a D1 program?

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:22 pm

E-Villan wrote:

USI will out-grow Indiana State while remaining in D2, if they choose to do so. Given enough time, they might out-grow Ball State too (BSU is roughly double USI's size today). USI has positioned itself as a value play, a niche they fill very nicely. Among Indiana's public universities, USI is the cheapest. 20% less than Indiana, and 15% less than Ball State and Indiana State.

Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame can certainly claim a large benefit from their athletics in national recruiting. Big-boy college athletics clearly provides marketing value to the schools. But I really don't think Ball State gets a lot of benefit from being in the MAC compared with being in an FCS or non-football conference or even D2.

Much like UE, the benefit they do get from athletics is primarily by keeping in touch with alumni (potential donors). Outside of the immediate Muncie/Anderson area, I doubt very many 17 year olds care about Ball State football/basketball/volleyball/whatever. Because they are in the Indianapolis TV market, they probably don't even get highlights on TV on a regular basis, not that teenagers are watching local newscasts as a rule.

To summarize: Would it be terrible for USI to join D1? No, certainly not. Does the new PAC look like a D1 facility? Absolutely. Does remaining in D2 diminish USI's ability to recruit students? If the D1 offers are in conferences like the ASun or the OVC, I don't think so.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:46 pm

My thoughts are that USI wants to be the cream of the crop in DII for the forseeable future. They can sit back and watch the others who have moved to D1 and learn from their mistakes or simply sit back and laugh and watch them spend all that money to go where and do what? Bellarmine is paying a big price to be able to say "We are D1" and they will not be a factor in most sports if not all sports in the short term, just like a number of others who have tried to make this move. A lot more failures than success stories out there right now in this game.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 am

Not that it bears explanation, but going D-1 gives greater visibility and a much stronger perception to potential students and student athletes. In addition, fan interest is much more keen, especially from the many who have zero interest in D-2. Who do you want to see, William Jewell or Belmont??? The energy and interest this would provide the student body and the entire city would be over the top.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 am

letsgoAces wrote:Not that it bears explanation, but going D-1 gives greater visibility and a much stronger perception to potential students and student athletes. In addition, fan interest is much more keen, especially from the many who have zero interest in D-2. Who do you want to see, William Jewell or Belmont??? The energy and interest this would provide the student body and the entire city would be over the top.

I agree. It really comes down to commitment once you make the move. There are plenty of IPFW's and SIUE's who have done nothing, and probably should be back in D2, yet there are others, such as NKU, Valpo and even us who have transitioned well. I doubt any of you who are saying USI is best served staying D2 would support UE going back.

If USI would make the move, get in the OVC, and put the program in a position to compete, can you imagine the rivalry with Murray and Belmont? With the bottom dwellers and broke Illinois schools like Eastern, there is no reason USI can't build a competitive program in the OVC.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:My thoughts are that USI wants to be the cream of the crop in DII for the forseeable future. They can sit back and watch the others who have moved to D1 and learn from their mistakes or simply sit back and laugh and watch them spend all that money to go where and do what? Bellarmine is paying a big price to be able to say "We are D1" and they will not be a factor in most sports if not all sports in the short term, just like a number of others who have tried to make this move. A lot more failures than success stories out there right now in this game.

Define "success." If it's winning championships, 80% of D1 teams are regularly and routinely unsuccessful. If we are talking about positive intangibles and making more money, that green stuff that rules the world, then I doubt that any of us are knowledgeable enough of the financial bottom lines and intangibles to judge. There is one clue. How many teams have dropped back to D2 after making the leap? Very few. Another thing to consider if winning is the only measure of success, how many of the 300 D2 schools are winning championships? Not many. So should they drop to D3 and join the 440 schools that also have little chance of winning a championship? Most schools don't win or rarely win championships at any level. From D1 to D3 over 1000 teams maintain teams even though most of them are not likely to win a championship in any given year. Maybe Bellarmine is making a mistake financially and maybe not, but I trust their bean counters over any of our guesses.

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 am

Here is how this will play out. Within five years, Bellarmine will be in either the OVC, Horizon, or Sun Belt, and be in a good position financially. USI will be the eastern most team in a conference mostly based out of Missouri, and losing money every road trip in every sport, meanwhile playing to empty seats while at home.

GOOD TIMES!!!!
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Return to “The Aces”