Balentine Player of Week -- again

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 pm
Fan Since: 2000

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Ace Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 am

"I stated that he didnt play as much as he should have. Never questioned his play time."

Got it.

"Based on all the philosophy that seems to come from certain post I was wondering why not put the best 5 forward."

Does the Evansville coaching staff come to your work site and tell you how to do your job?

" DJ didnt take a pill to make him "skyrocket" ."

I am seriously starting to wonder if you are related to DJ because your eyes fail to detect the growth and development he needs to become a total basketball player. We are talking about a college basketball player who had a very good Freshman campaign and is shooting well and scoring in his Sophomore season, but still is learning how to play on the defensive end and how to pace himself to play 30-35 minutes a game.

"Hes a talanted young man that for what ever reason was overlooked."

Overlooked? No. There are 12 other players on the bench and the coaches have to figure out the match-ups.

"Didn't and wasn't put in at critcal times last year."

Coach Big Ace, whose call is that anyway :)

"Please no more round about replies I have alot of those too but choose not to use them."

Tough to respond to emotional outburst about a young college player who has 2 and a half seasons to develop into the player you already believe he is. Back off of the purple koolaid.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 am
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby GoAcesgo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 am

Big Ace wrote:Good job DJ you certainly work hard and your efforts have been rewarded. Whether we have a 20 win season or not, I do believe you compete at the next level. I would of like to seen you on the floor last year a lot more than you were givin. We would of made the dance if you were givin a fair chance last year. I dont know why it took this year for the coaches to allow you to show us what you can do. Very proud of your patience and hanging in there after the way things went last year. Go Aces


Where do you come up with this stuff, so you wanted more play from Balentine, we would have made the dance you really need to do more research before making these crazy statements look at this... @COLORADO STATE L 79-72 32 10-15 .667 6-10 .600 0-0 .000 1 2 0 0 2 3 26 would have been a big road win he played 32 minutes but still lost, vsMURRAY STATE L 82-70 28 5-11 .455 3-8 .375 2-2 1.000 0 1 0 1 1 3 15 would have been a big win 28 minutes still lost, @#19 BUTLER L 75-67 16 1-5 .200 0-2 .000 0-1 .000 1 0 0 0 3 2 2 less minutes but 1- 5 shooting growing pains as a freshman, next game Simmons still playing him @#16 CREIGHTON L 87-70 23 0-5 .000 0-3 .000 0-0 .000 1 1 0 0 1 2 0 23 minutes but zero points and guess what another loss, these 4 games if wins would have been huge in making the big dance but I do not see any validity to you claim.

David Goldenberg
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 am
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby David Goldenberg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 am

Careful AceDad; your logic is showing. :P

You are a good anchor for this forum; always being a good devil's advocate and trying to keep a lot of posters on here from getting too high or too low during the season.

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Big Ace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

I would like some info on DJ stats for our first conference tournament game anybody have that. Thanks.

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Big Ace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am

Looks like I ruffled some feathers. Again. No .....I have no relations with DJ just a fan. I dont understand why stats keep being posted. Im not questioning that. I'm saying he wasn't utilized last year. Why cant you guys ( whos feathers are ruffled ) see that. Im as big of fan as the next guy. I think theres an unknown reason why he wasn't utilized last year.Was it because he was a freshman? I dont think so. Whether we owed it to the seniors or not, he would of been more useful on the floor than on the bench. Sorry for the ruffled feathers that wasn't my intent. And this year we dont seem to utilize the talent we have or did have. AceDad mentioned "12 guys on a team" in his defense on why DJ was played last year.We have 12 plus guys this year as well So................

User avatar
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:17 pm
Fan Since: 2003
Location: Evansville

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby pafan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 am

Big Ace wrote:Looks like I ruffled some feathers. Again. No .....I have no relations with DJ just a fan. I dont understand why stats keep being posted. Im not questioning that. I'm saying he wasn't utilized last year. Why cant you guys ( whos feathers are ruffled ) see that.

I don't think any of us are seeing what they should have done differently. That's what the stats are there for, to tell us how much a player was utilized and how effective he was.

What would DJ's stat line have looked like on a run to the NCAAs?

AceDad mentioned "12 guys on a team" in his defense on why DJ was played last year.We have 12 plus guys this year as well So................


We don't have 12 plus guys this year. 12 plus guys would be including the guys who walked on, are ineligible, are hurt, or told Evansville 'Ciao'.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

User avatar
6th man
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:19 pm
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby 6th man » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:46 am

Big Ace wrote:Looks like I ruffled some feathers. Again. No .....I have no relations with DJ just a fan. I dont understand why stats keep being posted. Im not questioning that. I'm saying he wasn't utilized last year. Why cant you guys ( whos feathers are ruffled ) see that. Im as big of fan as the next guy. I think theres an unknown reason why he wasn't utilized last year.Was it because he was a freshman? I dont think so. Whether we owed it to the seniors or not, he would of been more useful on the floor than on the bench. Sorry for the ruffled feathers that wasn't my intent. And this year we dont seem to utilize the talent we have or did have. AceDad mentioned "12 guys on a team" in his defense on why DJ was played last year.We have 12 plus guys this year as well So................


I believe that Colt,Cox and Taylor, all in the back court that played defense and rebounding, may had cut into DJ's playing time last year. They at the time were the better player in game situations.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Upper Aces
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:40 pm
Fan Since: 1999

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Upper Aces » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Big Ace wrote:Looks like I ruffled some feathers. Again. No .....I have no relations with DJ just a fan. I dont understand why stats keep being posted. Im not questioning that. I'm saying he wasn't utilized last year. Why cant you guys ( whos feathers are ruffled ) see that. Im as big of fan as the next guy. I think theres an unknown reason why he wasn't utilized last year.Was it because he was a freshman? I dont think so. Whether we owed it to the seniors or not, he would of been more useful on the floor than on the bench. Sorry for the ruffled feathers that wasn't my intent. And this year we dont seem to utilize the talent we have or did have. AceDad mentioned "12 guys on a team" in his defense on why DJ was played last year.We have 12 plus guys this year as well So................

I personally believe that Marty gets inside the heads of his players and messes with them. He did it to Balentine last year because I think Colt Ryan wouldn't have gotten the scoring record and the spotlight with Balentine in there. In conference DJ was a different guy because he didn't have any confidence and knew every little mistake he made Marty was going to pull him.
I think Marty was in Sawvell's head and didn't want him to succeed for whatever reason and now he has got Adam Wing shot faking every time he gets the ball. If Jaylon Moore or Christian Benzon make the tiniest mistake they are yanked also! Same with JB, he makes an athletic move to the bucket and misses a shot and he is pulled for being aggressive. It's just stuff like that that makes us an average team. Look at the type of player Gibson was at the beginning of the year and look at him now! No comparison with the play and his ability to get to the bucket. When he got in the lane good things happened, but now we run the same sets, screens, curls, etc. and we've struggled mightily.
I'm going to get crucified for this, but it's true. Marty has his favorites and they can struggle and not get pulled from the game (i.e Blake). Simmons offense revolves around Balentine and Blake and it probably frustrates his players. Howard and Benzon play great one game and then don't see the floor for the next two. It's just stupid things like that.
I agree with Big Ace and '14! If you're last name isn't Simmons or Balentine, Marty's schemes aren't for you. Look no further than Mock, poor guy never has a play run for him, he just sets screens and posts up only for guys not to give him the entry.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Roy Keane

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Big Ace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Upper Aces wrote:
Big Ace wrote:Looks like I ruffled some feathers. Again. No .....I have no relations with DJ just a fan. I dont understand why stats keep being posted. Im not questioning that. I'm saying he wasn't utilized last year. Why cant you guys ( whos feathers are ruffled ) see that. Im as big of fan as the next guy. I think theres an unknown reason why he wasn't utilized last year.Was it because he was a freshman? I dont think so. Whether we owed it to the seniors or not, he would of been more useful on the floor than on the bench. Sorry for the ruffled feathers that wasn't my intent. And this year we dont seem to utilize the talent we have or did have. AceDad mentioned "12 guys on a team" in his defense on why DJ was played last year.We have 12 plus guys this year as well So................

I personally believe that Marty gets inside the heads of his players and messes with them. He did it to Balentine last year because I think Colt Ryan wouldn't have gotten the scoring record and the spotlight with Balentine in there. In conference DJ was a different guy because he didn't have any confidence and knew every little mistake he made Marty was going to pull him.
I think Marty was in Sawvell's head and didn't want him to succeed for whatever reason and now he has got Adam Wing shot faking every time he gets the ball. If Jaylon Moore or Christian Benzon make the tiniest mistake they are yanked also! Same with JB, he makes an athletic move to the bucket and misses a shot and he is pulled for being aggressive. It's just stuff like that that makes us an average team. Look at the type of player Gibson was at the beginning of the year and look at him now! No comparison with the play and his ability to get to the bucket. When he got in the lane good things happened, but now we run the same sets, screens, curls, etc. and we've struggled mightily.
I'm going to get crucified for this, but it's true. Marty has his favorites and they can struggle and not get pulled from the game (i.e Blake). Simmons offense revolves around Balentine and Blake and it probably frustrates his players. Howard and Benzon play great one game and then don't see the floor for the next two. It's just stupid things like that.
I agree with Big Ace and '14! If you're last name isn't Simmons or Balentine, Marty's schemes aren't for you. Look no further than Mock, poor guy never has a play run for him, he just sets screens and posts up only for guys not to give him the entry.


Im glad you see it the way I do. No need to keep making excuses for a continuing problem.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 pm
Fan Since: 2000

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Ace Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm

"I personally believe that Marty gets inside the heads of his players and messes with them."

He does. So do most coaches. So do most leaders. So did I. The intent is not to "mess with them." The goal is to get the player or person to understand the bigger intent or to improve. Some players, workers, or soldiers cannot handle the pressure and they quit. I teach military operational planning and part of this includes knowing the "commander's intent." If the officer knows the commander's intent, he can properly execute the plan with little guidance. If the player knows the coach's intent, he can properly execute the game plan with less guidance. This is why coaches love Juniors and Seniors. They typically know the "intent" and are better skilled.

"He did it to Balentine last year because I think Colt Ryan wouldn't have gotten the scoring record and the spotlight with Balentine in there."

This is about the dumbest logic I have contemplated in awhile. Coach Simmons' job, reputation, and future is based on winning as many basketball games as he can. College coaches play the guys who understand their system and can help them win. Scoring records are a minor issue.

"In conference DJ was a different guy because he didn't have any confidence and knew every little mistake he made Marty was going to pull him."

No. DJ was able to get away with almost anything during the non-conference because teams did not know how to defend him. When he got to Valley play, the defense was a little tougher and as a Freshman he felt the stress. Give the other Valley teams some credit.

"I think Marty was in Sawvell's head and didn't want him to succeed for whatever reason...."

Do you have a frickin' clue how much time, money, and energy a college coach uses to identify, track, observe, and bond with a recruit BEFORE the scholarship offer is made? A college coach brings a kid into a program with the intent of keeping him for 4-5 years. The coach WANTS the kid to be successful because it helps him win. Ryan had his ups and downs (just like life) but no one ran him off or did not want him to succeed. That said, I have seen players run-off from a program, including Evansville, and typically the player is getting no minutes. Nada.

"and now he has got Adam Wing shot faking every time he gets the ball."

Adam is raw. He will learn how to use various shot fakes to improve his game. I like his tenacity.

"If Jaylon Moore or Christian Benzon make the tiniest mistake they are yanked also! Same with JB, he makes an athletic move to the bucket and misses a shot and he is pulled for being aggressive. It's just stuff like that that makes us an average team."

You may have a point here. I will specifically look for this in the future. Players should not be afraid to be aggressive or to use their basketball skill within the confines of the game plan.

"Look at the type of player Gibson was at the beginning of the year and look at him now! No comparison with the play and his ability to get to the bucket. When he got in the lane good things happened, but now we run the same sets, screens, curls, etc. and we've struggled mightily."

Again, you are barking up the wrong tree. MVC defenses know how to defend Evansville and what worked during the non-conference is not as easily executed in Valley play.

"I'm going to get crucified for this, but it's true. Marty has his favorites and they can struggle and not get pulled from the game (i.e Blake). Simmons offense revolves around Balentine and Blake and it probably frustrates his players."

I can find a fanbase that will say this about 80% of D1 teams. In fact, could be 90%. Next.

"Howard and Benzon play great one game and then don't see the floor for the next two. It's just stupid things like that."

Match-ups.

"I agree with Big Ace and '14! If you're last name isn't Simmons or Balentine, Marty's schemes aren't for you."

The old stereotypically identification of the team star and the coach's son and the belief that they are treated better than the other players. A no win situation, regardless of the truth. My experience tells me that sometimes the team star and the coach's son are treated more harshly by the coaching staff to show the other players that everyone is equal.

"Look no further than Mock, poor guy never has a play run for him, he just sets screens and posts up only for guys not to give him the entry."

We suck at feeding the post. Historically we suck at feeding the post because we have not had big men who could receive the ball and do something with it. Conversely, we have had guards who did not have enough game experience at feeding the post and the skill never developed. Mock is good enough for us to feed the ball to him. Give the younger guards some time to learn how to do this at game speed. Next year we will be better.


Return to “The Aces”