Balentine Player of Week -- again

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2000

Re: Balentine Player of Week -- again

Postby Ace Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Good post. I know you are frustrated. You will stay frustrated. There are many ways to enjoy D1 college basketball. The novice focuses only on winning and nothing else. However, there are some fans who latch onto the development of their players along the way and the beauty of competition, regardless of the outcome. Evansville is going to be a middle tier team in the Valley most years and may compete for an upper three finish in some years. We are not going to be the Bluejays or Shockers and if you want to know partially why, go look at the financials. So, as I tell my friends who are Kansas fans because they know Kansas wins each year, "you are missing half of the journey."

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:58 pm

We are not going to be the Bluejays or Shockers and if you want to know partially why, go look at the financials. So, as I tell my friends who are Kansas fans because they know Kansas wins each year, "you are missing half of the journey."

So, in your opinon, we don't belong in the MVC as we can never achieve and sustain at the top of the conference. Isn't that a bit like you'll never succeed because of the enviroment you were raised in. You can't ever be better than you are because you don't have the silver spoon. There isn't a reason to fight the war because we can't win. Perhaps we need Ho Chi to come speak on persevereance.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 pm

I think the powers that be at UE need to decide...is it okay to finish where we have been and see the attendance we are getting or not...if Ace Dad is correct on his assessment and the recent data backs this up given our finishes the last five years...can we sustain the financial issues being in the MVC brings or is it a must to look to start a new conference or join an existing one in D1 or is looking for another coaching staff the answer? I don't think most people want us to drop to DII or DIII. It would be a real shame to wake up in Evansville knowing we don't have a D1 college in town. I for one would be terribly disappointed. If push comes to shove I would rather see us in another D1 conference than dropping down a level or two.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:38 pm

6th man wrote:
We are not going to be the Bluejays or Shockers and if you want to know partially why, go look at the financials. So, as I tell my friends who are Kansas fans because they know Kansas wins each year, "you are missing half of the journey."

So, in your opinon, we don't belong in the MVC as we can never achieve and sustain at the top of the conference. Isn't that a bit like you'll never succeed because of the enviroment you were raised in. You can't ever be better than you are because you don't have the silver spoon. There isn't a reason to fight the war because we can't win. Perhaps we need Ho Chi to come speak on persevereance.

We belong on the MVC. The silver spoon programs are getting better players. However, if we can keep our players and stop losing them, we can develop our way into a competitive program. Ho Chi Minh would be an Aces fan.

There are 10 teams in our league. Each fan base expects their team to be good enough to finish in the top 3. If all the teams were evenly matched, including Evansville, at least four teams are going to play Thursday night. Fans have unrealistic expectations because they are overly emotional about their team. That is ok.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:43 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I think the powers that be at UE need to decide...is it okay to finish where we have been and see the attendance we are getting or not...if Ace Dad is correct on his assessment and the recent data backs this up given our finishes the last five years...can we sustain the financial issues being in the MVC brings or is it a must to look to start a new conference or join an existing one in D1 or is looking for another coaching staff the answer? I don't think most people want us to drop to DII or DIII. It would be a real shame to wake up in Evansville knowing we don't have a D1 college in town. I for one would be terribly disappointed. If push comes to shove I would rather see us in another D1 conference than dropping down a level or two.

Attendance, or lack thereof, will be the reason a program makes a coaching change. I understand the fiscal issues. However, when Jim Crews was the coach and people wanted a change I said "be careful." When Steve Merfeld was the coach and the board wanted a change I said "be careful." Now, for those of you who want to feel good by running Marty Simmons out of town, "be careful." And I admit to being biased in support of Coach Simmons.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:54 pm

I certainly hope Marty makes it and gets us to where most of us want to go. I don't think anyone is expecting anything big this year given our youth. I think we have to hope next year's team improves and moves up the ladder considerably.

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Big Ace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 pm

AceDad.........after reading all your rants since 2:29 pm this afternoon tell us why your son left his position with the aces program? Previous, past and present players still contact your son to this day about the crap that goes on and did go on. Your son is a fine young man quit posting things that try to do a cover up! Last year after we lost in our conference tournament, Marty called all the upper classmen into his office one by one (excluding freshmen) asked them if they wanted to do the CIT so Colt would break the school record. Being the all time point leader. THATS COACHING !!!!! So don't tell me that Colts points wasnt on his mind all season. If you don't believe me ask your son.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Big Ace, I can speak for me. You can speak for you. My son can speak for himself. Have you personally ever led a large organization comprised of young men or has your job ever been dependent on others accomplishing a mission? The reason I ask is if the answer is "no" I understand why you are relatively naïve about college basketball.

Why did I leave my first job in 1975?

Tell me, why did my father leave his first job in 1949?

Why did my younger brother move from a construction job in 1985 to work for Texas Instruments in 1985?

Why did my coworker in the office next to me move from Sprint HQs to a federal civilian job in 2001?

Why did my wife move from a school district job to a private foundation job this past October?

Why have four people left my department in the last 6 months for other jobs?

Why is my lifelong friend in Colombus, OH leaving his long term job to find a new one in Dallas?

Why have several people asked to leave an organization I led during my 30 year military career and why have several people asked to join my organization during the same time frame?

When my son was a college player he whined and complained about Coach Crews and Coach Merfeld. I have about 30 friends who have sons who played college basketball and each of them cried, complained, bitched, and moaned about their coaching staff, especially on losing teams. Every program, all 367 or so, has both positive and negative dynamics. Some basketball parents do not understand college basketball well enough to deal with it. Do you fall into this category?

There is a code in college basketball about not talking about what happens in the locker room. There is another code about basketball parents only talking in very general terms on basketball boards and not identifying sources. You seem to harbor some raw emotional baggage regarding the Aces and you should consider taking a break.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 am

Ace14 wrote:I'm not at practice, so I don't know what the guys are being told but:

Adam must shoot! Shot fake doesn't do any good if defender is 5 feet away. He's a capable shooter anyway.
Boo & JB need to take some shots to keep the defense honest. Can't build any confidence if you don't ever take a shot. Can you think of any teams where their guards won't shoot?
I do think Boo is a different player than he was at beginning of year and it's more than defensive adjustments. He has completely lost confidence. I'm not saying it's because of the coaches, but for whatever reason, he's very hesitant right now.
I don't buy the excuse that we can't get Giddy the ball because we are young. It's not that difficult to make an entry pass. It just needs to be a priority and Marty has even eluded to it in recent interviews.

Yes, we are young and very capable, but I just don't see the progress some of you are seeing.

I can't agree more about Boo's play at the beginning of this season, compared to now. He was running the point with the confidence of someone that felt comfortable playing in his own skin.
Now, he is seems very hesitate to do anything other than to look for DJ.
I know ACEDAD, is gonna reply again that, "we don't know what we're talking about".
So, I'll post a few facts to produce how I've come to this decision.
VALPO, IUPUI, Mercer.
Boo, was aggressive to the basket.
In just those three games. He was 24-31 from the free throw line. In the other 20 games this season, he has shot only 60 more free throws. That's an easy average to figure of only three a game....compared to 10.
In those three games, he dished out 20 of his season total of 98 assists.
Went from almost seven a game to barely 4.
I'm sorry, but all three of those schools are DI. One of those 367, ACEDAD likes to throw around.
IUPUI, even beat up on Bradley, an MVC school.
VALPO, will most likely make a run in their conference tourney and Mercer, is a senior laden team that will probably make the NCAA field, if not a lock for the NIT.
So, the DI competition was there.
One game on the road, the other two against schools that thought they were gonna come into The FC and beat up on a young Aces team.
But, those games were when Sawvell played....
Ryan had 18 points and 12 rebounds, in those three games.
Yes, we're all fans. We're brain dead supporters of the Aces. Haven't any clue of how college basketball is really conducted.
But, those are facts.....stats...whatever you want to call them. Undisputed.
And, anyone that watched those games on TV or was at The FC, can see that Boo, is not the same player as he was then.
I, for one, like Marty. I want him to succeed. Enjoy seeing Blake, as a local kid, play for The University of Evansville. Love DJ's game
But, it truly seems to me and apparently others, in here these kids are falling into the same thing we watched the last four years....They're afraid to have fun and play basketball. Only looking for DJ or at the coaches.
Watch the games. Every whistle or dead ball, you can see their eyes look towards the bench, in fear they've disappointed the staff.
I was so excited about this season. I went WAY out on a limb, by posting some far reaching season totals, way back in August of last year.
But, the way The ACES started I actually believed those numbers were a possibility.

One more "rant" and I'll get off my soap box.
I got a PM from a fellow member, after the SHOX game.
Telling me to calm down about how I thought the officiating caused The ACES to lose the game, in Wichita. I never said anything of the sort.
I actually posted that SHOX, was the better team and even with the unbelievable start The ACES had gotten off to, they (SHOX) would make their run(s).
I felt at the time and still do the quick whistles on EMO, changed everything about what could have been a tighter game than SHOX had wanted from a school, coming into Koch with a 3-6 MVC record against the third ranked undefeated team in the country.

Well done DJ, you deserved the Player of the Week, honor(s).
go aces

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Big Ace » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:31 am

I'm 50ish. I still have my first job

Return to “The Aces”