Student section, Band

Discuss the MVC through purple-tinted glasses
Ladyfan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1986

Student section, Band

Postby Ladyfan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:59 pm

What happened to the student section of years gone by? It is almost embarrassing to see these other schools, even small schools with large wild student sections. It was so much fun to watch and brought such excitement.

I was happy to se the band at the game today but where have they been much of the season? A few games it seemed they couldn’t even keep up with the schools song.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Student section, Band

Postby pafan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Ladyfan wrote:What happened to the student section of years gone by?

They graduated. They are now in their 40s - and beyond.

Kids 18-25 now are far less interested in sports in general than they were 20 years ago. And now UE has a high female skew in the student body - and more foreign students than in years gone by.

Lots more discussion about these subjects in the archives here. I'm curious where these small schools are with boisterous student sections. They sure don't seem to be in the MVC from the games I watch on ESPN3.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

pmh24
Evansville Courier & Press
Fan Since: 2011

Postby pmh24 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Fwiw, I've heard the band is only required to go to four games a semester for class credit.

I'll never forget the time earlier this season when the team came out onto the floor with the fight song being played through the speakers while the band just sat there.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 am

The band issue is on the President. Those are the kinds of things where a President who cares about Athletics can make a difference. Obviously, we are lacking in that department.

To me, the student section is and has been a lost cause for a long time. There just aren't enough students at UE to make much of a difference anyway. Pafan is right, UE just doesn't attract/recruit the kind of students who are going to go to a ball game. It's not the UE from the 80s or 90s anymore which again, is sad. Granted there are some who would probably get into the games if they went consistently. But the problem is, it just isn't a thing to do because not enough other students are going to the games. College kids aren't going to go the games alone. They do things that are the "in thing" that groups of kids are doing. They go to plays and other random things on campus if other kids they know are going there. If it could become an "in thing" more might go, but it's still not enough to make much of a difference. Like others have said though, most kids who go are going to sit up in the crowd with relatives or friends. That's what I did for 4 years.

The key is getting the general population of Evansville to go. That's always been the driving force.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 am

pmh24 wrote:Fwiw, I've heard the band is only required to go to four games a semester for class credit.

I'll never forget the time earlier this season when the team came out onto the floor with the fight song being played through the speakers while the band just sat there.

If the game was between Thanksgiving and early January it was probably a high school band. UE was on semester break.

pmh24
Fan Since: 2011

Postby pmh24 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:If the game was between Thanksgiving and early January it was probably a high school band. UE was on semester break.

I want to say it was one of the first four home games this year, but I could be wrong. It hasn't happened since then, so I'll give a free pass. It was just odd.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader

Postby sect.3purple » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 pm

Tonight's game had a half-time introduction of UE athletic teams with high gpa's ....the large group of students sat together behind the opposing team's bench....after the half-time honoring, that section was empty...I suppose most students left, not even interested in backing the ball team. Also, there was no band tonight, as there usually isn't....no school spirit The community will have to be the supporters of the Aces. Most students do not. Sad, but real, ACES basketball has dismal support from most students, and not much better support in an exciting way from the university itself. Will things change? Evansville is losing a historical and positive part of its identity in the loss of the team that wears its name on their jerseys....does anyone at the university or in the community care?

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 pm

sect.3purple wrote:Tonight's game had a half-time introduction of UE athletic teams with high gpa's ....the large group of students sat together behind the opposing team's bench....after the half-time honoring, that section was empty...I suppose most students left, not even interested in backing the ball team. Also, there was no band tonight, as there usually isn't....no school spirit The community will have to be the supporters of the Aces. Most students do not. Sad, but real, ACES basketball has dismal support from most students, and not much better support in an exciting way from the university itself. Will things change? Evansville is losing a historical and positive part of its identity in the loss of the team that wears its name on their jerseys....does anyone at the university or in the community care?

Looked to me like most of the kids left as Aces basketball was too boring even for the students who are members of other teams. One could also say that these kids are lacking "UE team loyalty and respect for the other teams at their school." When I was a student athlete at UE we all rooted for the other teams and went to numerous events regardless of how bad the team may have been at the time..it's just what you did, part of the college experience and the support and loyalty you showed and wanted to show.

It's really a sad state of affairs as to the lack of interest on the part of the kids coming to the games as well as the basketball staff trying anything they can to get them to come to the games. McGillis might have had some issues as our former AD, but he made coaches accountable and had them doing things to help their respective programs whether the coaches liked it or not.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader

Postby sect.3purple » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 am

UE Band at the game tonight (Loyola - Evansville) was great - loved all the brass (need that loud booming sound)....please come back every game!

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces & Eights » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 am

I enjoyed the 3 Japanese International Club students dancing at half time. They were more energetic and creative than the 5 remaining dance team girls. Then I watched them put on their backpacks and head back to campus 2 minutes later. Yes, the band was great.

Return to “The Valley”