MVC coaching staff change

Discuss the MVC through purple-tinted glasses
Ace78
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

MVC coaching staff change

Postby Ace78 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:59 pm

MVC Assistant coaching change ... from Indiana State to Illinois State ....

"This just in! Indiana State men’s basketball associate head coach Marcus Belcher is leaving the Sycamores. Sources says he’ll be joining Illinois State coaching staff"

https://twitter.com/Rick_Sports10/statu ... 5692001283

bikerace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1963

Re: MVC coaching staff change

Postby bikerace » Wed May 08, 2019 6:50 pm

I believe he played with the coach at So Ill

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I believe he was on our staff was he not during the Simmons era for maybe 1 or 2 years? I could be wrong, but seems like he was.
Someone that goes to at least three different schools in a short time makes me think "red flag" just as an employee moves from job to job to job over a short period of time.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Belcher was with Indiana State for 8 seasons. He did work as an assistant to Marty both here and at Edwardsville. He left Evansville to work with his old coach Chris Lowery at SIU. That position opened up when Rodney Watson came to USI, and ended when Lowery was fired.

It is old fashioned to assume that because someone is job-hopping that they must not be doing a good job. Instead, I find that the easiest way to get a promotion is to take a position at a new employer.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 pm

pafan wrote:Belcher was with Indiana State for 8 seasons. He did work as an assistant to Marty both here and at Edwardsville. He left Evansville to work with his old coach Chris Lowery at SIU. That position opened up when Rodney Watson came to USI, and ended when Lowery was fired.

It is old fashioned to assume that because someone is job-hopping that they must not be doing a good job. Instead, I find that the easiest way to get a promotion is to take a position at a new employer.

I may be old fashioned and will admit that to some extent. However, in my line of work if I see a resume where a person has six jobs in nine years is a red flag indicating in most cases they are never going to be happy or the employer realized they were not likely to be promoted. I did not realize he had been at one place for 8 years so obviously he is moving on to make more money and gain more experience at various schools and not someone I would label as a job-hopper so good for him.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I may be old fashioned and will admit that to some extent. However, in my line of work if I see a resume where a person has six jobs in nine years is a red flag indicating in most cases they are never going to be happy or the employer realized they were not likely to be promoted.

There is certainly some threshold where I would agree. Six employers in nine years is quite a lot. Obviously a lot depends on industry. Coaching is kind of unique because the assistants almost always are let go when the head coach is let go, and head coaches often get pressure from the AD to play musical chairs with their assistants if things aren't gong well.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Lerch
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Lerch » Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 am

Rumors floating in Terre Haute that ISU, which lost top Asst Marcus Belcher to IL St. last week, is planning on bringing back former UE player/Asst Coach KAREEM RICHARDSON to fill the void. Richardson formerly was an Asst. from '99-02 @ ISU. He was fired as HC @ UMKC last season after 6 yrs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Richardson

ncace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ncace » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Best of luck to Kareem. He was a top asst., and the UMKC job would have been a monumental hurdle for anyone. Whether at ISUb or elsewhere, he will land on his feet.

Return to “The Valley”