Valley against power 5 conferences

Discuss the MVC through purple-tinted glasses
kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Valley against power 5 conferences

Postby kyace1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 pm

Valley is currently 5-5 verse power 5 as of today. 8 more opportunities... if they go .500 any chance of a multiple bid conference?

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Valley against power 5 conferences

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 am

I think as of right now, Loyola, Valpo, and UNI have a chance to make cases for an at large if they can continue to win. All of them have wins over power fives or chances to get wins over power fives. The key has been the strong performance from all the MVC teams.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am

Tom Servo wrote:I think as of right now, Loyola, Valpo, and UNI have a chance to make cases for an at large if they can continue to win. All of them have wins over power fives or chances to get wins over power fives. The key has been the strong performance from all the MVC teams.

Completely agree.

The MVC as a whole has been quite strong - I believed MO State and Loyola would be good but Northern Iowa has been much stronger than I first believed. Bradley and Drake I thought would be better and have been. Evansville, of course, has surprised me as well, but I am not quite ready to throw a parade yet.

On a side note Loyola has an outstanding recruiting class coming in nest year as well as does Valpo.

Wouldn't it be funny if the MVC finished ahead of the American conference which Wichita State joined.

I do think the MVC will be a two bid conference this season.

kyace1
Ford Center Regular

Postby kyace1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm

I believe with a couple of more power 5 conference wins we will have the possibility of 2 teams... however, MVC parity may make it difficult for one of the top 3 to get enough wins to get traction for the 2nd bid. Victory over Duke (do you believe in miracles?) only way UE gets at large bid.

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Last season you had Illinois State and Wichita who were in a class well above the rest of the league and the separation from 2-3 was greater than 3 thru at least 9, perhaps even 10 (Drake). This season the league as a whole is much deeper.

This year, to me, it comes down to this: Will the selection committee give the league as a whole credit and allow the 2nd/3rd place team lose 3-5 conference games? If the committee thinks that the upper half of the league is strong and the league as a whole is good, then there's a chance. The good news is that if this time next month the computer numbers hold everyone is a Top 200 program, it can eliminate the chance for a horrible computer loss and there will be chances for Top 75 wins on the road, Top 50 wins at home which can help. The question will be if the league is so bunched up that it beats itself up too much.

I don't put a lot of faith in the selection committee based on the last few seasons. It's tough enough to get opportunities in the non-conference and then have very little wiggle room once conference play begins. For a mid-major the resume is made in November/December and then it's hold on so that the wins overshadow league play defeats. The "Power 5" seems to get the benefit of the doubt over putting a tested mid-major team with 24-25 wins.

kyace1
Ford Center Regular

Postby kyace1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

This year, to me, it comes down to this: Will the selection committee give the league as a whole credit and allow the 2nd/3rd place team lose 3-5 conference games? If the committee thinks that the upper half of the league is strong and the league as a whole is good, then there's a chance. The good news is that if this time next month the computer numbers hold everyone is a Top 200 program, it can eliminate the chance for a horrible computer loss and there will be chances for Top 75 wins on the road, Top 50 wins at home which can help. The question will be if the league is so bunched up that it beats itself up too much

I agree with you that we can avoid the bad losses this year, also agree that we may very well cannibalize each other. I can't help but wonder if there are 2 teams that can only lose 3-5 conference games... I would put UNI & MO State as the most consistent thus far... we will know more about VALPO after tonight... Loyola puts an L on Florida, but loses by 34 the week early to Boise St. I am not sure their will be a single team that can get 14 wins this year, much less 2 or 3 teams.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Purple&Orange wrote:Last season you had Illinois State and Wichita who were in a class well above the rest of the league and the separation from 2-3 was greater than 3 thru at least 9, perhaps even 10 (Drake). This season the league as a whole is much deeper.

This year, to me, it comes down to this: Will the selection committee give the league as a whole credit and allow the 2nd/3rd place team lose 3-5 conference games? If the committee thinks that the upper half of the league is strong and the league as a whole is good, then there's a chance. The good news is that if this time next month the computer numbers hold everyone is a Top 200 program, it can eliminate the chance for a horrible computer loss and there will be chances for Top 75 wins on the road, Top 50 wins at home which can help. The question will be if the league is so bunched up that it beats itself up too much.

I don't put a lot of faith in the selection committee based on the last few seasons. It's tough enough to get opportunities in the non-conference and then have very little wiggle room once conference play begins. For a mid-major the resume is made in November/December and then it's hold on so that the wins overshadow league play defeats. The "Power 5" seems to get the benefit of the doubt over putting a tested mid-major team with 24-25 wins.

You are completely spot on - agree completely with all you posted. And yes, I have next to zero confidence in NCAA selection process. Much, though certainly all, the injustice comes as you alluded to is just being a Mid-Major conference. You get heavily penalized when you are defeated by a conference foe, but not when you are in a power league. Those teams will always get the chance to redeem themselves simply because they play each other 18 games or more a year. The mid-majors considers themselves lucky if one of the big power five schools even play them - and even then it will be on their own terms. It is what it is but that is why I feel it is important for any MVC school to adopt the attitude to play them anywhere anytime.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Valpo looked bad in loss to Purdue tonight. I turned if off when it was 62-34 or something like that. Because the Shockers are not in the Valley this year, I think it's going to be tough to get two teams in. It is way too soon for me to even think about it. What I would hope is that if we do not get two teams in, we get 2 or 3 in the NIT and the Aces are one of them should we not win the conference tournament. I still feel it's wide open this year as to who wins the conference (I could even see a 2 or 3 team tie) and who wins in St Louis. A lot depends on injuries and who is hot at the right time.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:06 am

I, also only watched bits and pieces of their game against PURDUE.
I wasn't impressed with Valparaiso, at all.
So, I checked their schedule and results stats. They haven't played anyone, really of any weight. (including two sub DI schools)
I think, only one of their first eight victims, has an overall winning record.
The ACES, could have just as easy amassed that gaudy 8-0 start, against the same teams.
They, might easily drop three of their next four and enter VALLEY play at 9-4.

Now, RAMBLERS.... different story.
Knocking off The Gators, in Gainesville (after they just lost to FSU, two days prior) was very impressive.
I could have just as easily expected RAMBLERS, to collect that 30 point beat down.
Losing like they did in Idaho, was a head scratcher....

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:01 pm

COUTEAU wrote:I, also only watched bits and pieces of their game against PURDUE.
I wasn't impressed with Valparaiso, at all.
So, I checked their schedule and results stats. They haven't played anyone, really of any weight. (including two sub DI schools)
I think, only one of their first eight victims, has an overall winning record.
The ACES, could have just as easy amassed that gaudy 8-0 start, against the same teams.
They, might easily drop three of their next four and enter VALLEY play at 9-4.

Now, RAMBLERS.... different story.
Knocking off The Gators, in Gainesville (after they just lost to FSU, two days prior) was very impressive.
I could have just as easily expected RAMBLERS, to collect that 30 point beat down.
Losing like they did in Idaho, was a head scratcher....

Valpo lost by one at Ball State today. Loyola pounded whoever they were playing at home.

Return to “The Valley”