Valley standings 1-10

Discuss the MVC through purple-tinted glasses
IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Valley standings 1-10

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:03 pm

letsgoAces wrote:After home loss to SIU Paul Lusk might start looking for a for sale sign for his house

I have never been very impressed with Missouri State personally. I think Johnson is a good player but not a 2nd round draft pick imho..I may be wrong, I just think he makes a lot of poor plays. His strongest asset is a he is a very good ball handler for someone his size, maybe that is what people like. I thought we had our own Johnson (Richie) who played for us back in the 80s was a similar player, maybe not quite as good a shooter from long range.

SIU is playing better and better. This was a great win for them and shows me we will have to play well to defend The Ford.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:11 am

I bet you Barry Hinson walked out of the gym with
smile 2 miles wide.Mo. St. should have never let him go. :lol: :lol:

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:06 pm

I was watching some Big Ten basketball last night and they showed who the so called experts feel will get x number of bids by conference showing those with two to nine bids per conference. On the sidebar it had Loyola as a #13 seed after the auto bids for what that is worth. So, as of now, the so called experts think Loyola will win the conference and get the automatic bid or get an at large bid. We need to beat them at The Ford and improve our rank in the conference, RPI and maybe we get lucky and get hot in February and find a way to get in the top 3 or 4 in the conference. I realize this may be too optimistic but other than the game at Drake and maybe at Bradley we have been in every game until the final minutes. We have four more road games and those are at UNI, Ill State, Mo State and ISU. At home we have UNI, SIU, Loyola and Valpo. Six of our final eight games are vs the bottom six teams in the conference. If we can find a way to hold serve at home and get two Ws on the road we would be 10-8. I think the ISU game and UNI games are the most winnable on the road. On the flip side, we could lose all the road games and lose one or two at home and find ourselves in the Thursday night game finishing in the bottom three in the conference which is where we sit right now more than half way in. I would settle for going 5-3 and finishing 9-9 and see where that gets us. This conference is still wide open.

Standings as of now are:

Loyola-Chicago 7-2 -- .778 17-4 .810 W6
Drake 6-4 1.5 .600 12-11.522 L2
Southern Illinois 6-4 1.5 .600 14-9 .609 W3
Bradley 5-4 2 .556 15-7 .682 W2
Indiana State 5-4 2 .556 10-11.476 L1
Missouri State 5-5 2.5 .500 15-8 .652 L3
Illinois State 5-5 2.5 .500 11-11.500 W1
Evansville 4-6 3.5 .400 14-9 .609 W2
Northern Iowa 3-6 4 .333 11-10 .524 W1
Valparaiso 2-8 5.5 .200 11-12.478 L5

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:39 am

The MVC has been solid this season...to still be rated as of today the 8th rated conference I believe is impressive. No conference has been hit as hard with loses as the Valley but they continue to be resilient. Though the MVC's highest RPI team only is 52 (Loyola) the balance is very good and you don't see any "ugly duckling" teams that are going to lose 20 games or more.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:48 am

letsgoAces wrote:The MVC has been solid this season...to still be rated as of today the 8th rated conference I believe is impressive. No conference has been hit as hard with loses as the Valley but they continue to be resilient. Though the MVC's highest RPI team only is 52 (Loyola) the balance is very good and you don't see any "ugly duckling" teams that are going to lose 20 games or more.

That is very true; but that is also why we are probably a one-bid league this year - that is, the highest RPI in our league is 52. So like IBleed said our best chance to get multiple teams into the dance is to beat Loyola and get hot at tournament time.

Go Aces!!!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:25 am

Austin Ace wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:The MVC has been solid this season...to still be rated as of today the 8th rated conference I believe is impressive. No conference has been hit as hard with loses as the Valley but they continue to be resilient. Though the MVC's highest RPI team only is 52 (Loyola) the balance is very good and you don't see any "ugly duckling" teams that are going to lose 20 games or more.

That is very true; but that is also why we are probably a one-bid league this year - that is, the highest RPI in our league is 52. So like IBleed said our best chance to get multiple teams into the dance is to beat Loyola and get hot at tournament time.

Go Aces!!!

I kind of hope Loyola wins the rest of their conference games (except against Evansville) which might get them at large. I don't think any MVC team is strong enough to win both the league championship and Arch Madness this year.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
Austin Ace wrote:

Go Aces!!!

I kind of hope Loyola wins the rest of their conference games (except against Evansville) which might get them at large. I don't think any MVC team is strong enough to win both the league championship and Arch Madness this year.

I agree. I really feel any of the ten teams except for Valpo have a decent chance of winning the tournament in St Louis. The four teams that may not have as good of shot due to tired legs are the teams that play on Thursday because they would have to win four games in four days if I am thinking clearly. Has any team ever done that for all those historians out there? I can't remember one doing so recently which is why it is key we try to get the 6 seed or better which is doable imho based on who we have left on our schedule.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 am

As far as I know, no Thursday team has ever won it. But I haven't looked it up, just going off memory.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Return to “The Valley”